Roy Firestone

We get Tim Beckham...and its a good pick up

He's only 27, plays BOTH SS and 2B and has some pop(this year 12 HR's). He's a pretty good defender and would easily replace Hardy and Tejada. He's a former #1 pick.We gave up a SP but not a highly rated one. I like this deal.

• Upvote 2

Orioles acquired INF Tim Beckham from the Rays for RHP Tobias Myers.
This deal is more about the future for the O's, who sit four games under .500 at the 2017 trade deadline. Beckham, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 MLB Draft, carries three more years of contractual control at age 27. He has batted .259/.314/.407 with a career-high 12 home runs and five stolen bases in 87 games this season. Look for him to get regular starts at shortstop in Baltimore while J.J. Hardy recovers from a fractured wrist. Jul 31 - 4:10 PM

Yeah, I like it too. Worst case scenario is he is a rich man's Ryan Flaherty. A little bit of upside still possible at 27. Definitely seems like a contributor, even if as a utility player.

Hes under control till 2021..having a career year offensively. I think this is an upgrade. Can move Schoop to SS or 3b and Beckham can play 2b or ss. I like this deal a lot

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

110 k's in 333 plate appearances. You will be crying about him striking out soon enough, Roy.

But at 27 still a talented and veteran player with some offensive upside. Much better than Tejada and can play two positions.Hardy will be gone. Mountcastle can maybe learn from Beckham and become serviceable at some point in the infield...

• Upvote 1

Can someone explain to me why the Rays are trading away a ~ 2 WAR shortstop under control for 3 more years in exchange for a low A pitcher when they are just 3.5 games out of first?

6 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

He's only 27, plays BOTH SS and 2B and has some pop(this year 12 HR's). He's a pretty good defender and would easily replace Hardy and Tejada. He's a former #1 pick.We gave up a SP but not a highly rated one. I like this deal.

I think you're underrating Myers.   Tampa's good at developing young pitchers.    Watch for him in 4 years or so.

I think you have to ask yourself why a team that is ahead of the Orioles in the standings is willing to trade Beckham instead of keeping him for the playoff chase. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

But at 27 still a talented and veteran player with some offensive upside. Much better than Tejada and can play two positions.Hardy will be gone. Moutcastle can maybe learn from Beckham and become serviceable at some point in the infield...

It's a fine pickup, especially since we don't have a SS anywhere on the horizon. I'm just saying what will happen.

Just now, Aglets said:

Can someone explain to me why the Rays are trading away a ~ 2 WAR shortstop under control for 3 more years in exchange for a low A pitcher when they are just 3.5 games out of first?

I think TBR soured on him. He's not hitting at the moment, has drug suspensions and apparently doesn't always hustle.

Just now, Frobby said:

I think you're underrating Myers.   Tampa's good at developing young pitchers.    Watch for him in 4 years or so.

This.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Might be a financial deal. Or we might see the pitcher in an all star game in four years....outstanding day for DD. The Yanks and Sox have to be concerned about us now!