Roy Firestone

We get Tim Beckham...and its a good pick up

15 minutes ago, Norfolk orioles said:

JJ Hardy has made a lot of money as an Oriole.

He isn't going to magically turn into the old JJ coming off a serious injury.

Buck has NO DECISION.

If he does anything other than keep a redhot Beckham in the lineup, he should be fired on the spot.

Enough is enough Buck, show us all you've learned your lesson.

Or maybe he will bring JJ back and bat him lead off.

If Hardy was due back tomorrow I'd agree. But I'd wait and see how it goes over the next 2-3 weeks.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Tobias Myers tonight: 5 ip, 1 h, 1 r, 7 k

Its A ball..Hes got a long way to go and must stay healthy...now we've got a MLB ready SS and 2b...Ill take our deal...

53 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

If Hardy was due back tomorrow I'd agree. But I'd wait and see how it goes over the next 2-3 weeks.

Fair statement.

The thing is, even if Beckham cools off, he is still a much better hitter than Hardy is at this point in his career.  It's all about how many blunders he makes on defense.

If he's OPSing over one point zero, screw the defense.  It's not that bad.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I never(and shouldn't) get credit when I make a broad statement, and we've got a long way to go..but if this guy can play even average defense and give us speed and offense at his price(this year he'll make less than a million) its a very promising deal. The tough call comes when JJ returns..and Buck said he will start Hardy. That will be a  unusual situation.Where do you put Beckham?

Why not take the credit? We all take this too seriously at times, it's fun to be right and there is no sample size to small to enjoy. People who wait to see the end result learn what we all do but miss the joy of the journey. We've likely all watched enough sports television to realize that there are no people who can predict anything that's going to happen at a better rate than the average fan, but putting your name on a prediction of any sort puts a touch of pressure on the outcome & - as fun as it is to be right....the relief of not being wrong feels even better. You were adamant from the start, I walked the middle, but I'm veering into Firestones lane quickly. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Fair statement.

The thing is, even if Beckham cools off, he is still a much better hitter than Hardy is at this point in his career.  It's all about how many blunders he makes on defense.

If he's OPSing over one point zero, screw the defense.  It's not that bad.

Beckham is always a threat & his presence in the dugout is refreshing. I like the new young blood, if he's playing hard & not hurting us defensively I'm going to trust JJ to be a professional & see what the youngster can do the rest of the way. JJ gave us what he was able, now it would be nice to see him embrace mentoring Beck, there's a lot the 27 year old can learn from Hardy if he wants to be playing for 8-10 more years. 

56 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Beckham is always a threat & his presence in the dugout is refreshing. I like the new young blood, if he's playing hard & not hurting us defensively I'm going to trust JJ to be a professional & see what the youngster can do the rest of the way. JJ gave us what he was able, now it would be nice to see him embrace mentoring Beck, there's a lot the 27 year old can learn from Hardy if he wants to be playing for 8-10 more years. 

For Hardy, even as a "team first" guy, his baseball livelihood is at stake and his motivation is, for him, to play EVERY game for the rest of the season to get the next contract from somebody. Even a virtuous guy like Hardy owes it to himself.While he will try and look like a mentor, this is his baseball mortality at stake, and he will tell Buck he earned the playing time for the next 8 weeks or so. This might get uncomfortable for fans...as it should . Beckham is, at this point, the much better option going forward and Buck has to know that.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

For Hardy, even as a "team first" guy, his baseball livelihood is at stake and his motivation is, for him, to play EVERY game for the rest of the season to get the next contract from somebody. Even a virtuous guy like Hardy owes it to himself.While he will try and look like a mentor, this is his baseball mortality at stake, and he will tell Buck he earned the playing time for the next 8 weeks or so. This might get uncomfortable for fans...as it should . Beckham is, at this point, the much better option going forward and Buck has to know that.

Honestly Hardy is in a pretty difficult situation right now. As it stands, coming off an injury and an absolutely awful season where he looks 5 years older then he actually is, I don't think he's likely to get a guaranteed contract next year, maybe a minor league deal. He really needs these final 6 weeks to prove he can still play at a major league level, but as Beckham plays so well he might not get that opportunity.

JJ Hardy is the oldest looking 34 year old I have ever seen.  His contract was just as bad as the Davis deal.  He is batting .211 with 3 Home Runs this year.  Yes he is very good in the field, but his batting was hurting the team.  It is time to move on from JJ. Hardy.  He is slow, can't hit and always hurt.  I think he is going to have a hard time finding a job next year.  If Buck puts him back in I think it will be a big mistake.  Beckham has put some life in this club.  JJ had 3 fine years with this team and then 3 injury ridden seasons.  Time waits for no one.

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Its A ball..Hes got a long way to go and must stay healthy...now we've got a MLB ready SS and 2b...Ill take our deal...

Jay Flaa struck out seven in two and two-thirds innings. In High A ball. Still nice season for Myers. Appears to have been a trade that both teams like so far. 

Perhaps the "change of scenery" will work in our favor this time around. Along with credit to DD for the move, a ton of credit has to go to the scouts who targeted Tobias. A 6th round pick is generally useless, we got an arm that netted us Beck. That's a heck of a pick, I'm very impressed by our MLB draft team. 

“He’s the first overall pick. I’m pretty sure he’s supposed to be doing stuff like that. He’s a pretty talented player. We’ve seen him in Tampa for quite a few years. He’s gifted, no doubt.”

So far, so good.  The trade looks good from both sides.  The problem is that an organization with one of the worst starting staffs in baseball continually trades young pitching.   Seems like you can connect the dots.

Beckham's avg with the O's dropped to .650 after going 2 for 4. I wonder if he likes hitting at Camden Yards?