Roy Firestone

We get Tim Beckham...and its a good pick up

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just because a player is a high draft pick does not mean he will put it together.  It probably means he has some talent.   Look at the 2nd pick in that same draft - Pedro Alvarez.  He obviously has some talent  and has had some good years if you over look his defense.  But he is not a major league fielder at 3B or 1B or the outfield.   As it turns out he is a platoon DH because he does not hit lefties and is spending the year in AAA.

We don't know what Beckham will be.  He looks good right now.  Tampa saw him for 8 years and concluded it was addition by subtraction when they traded him.   Its kind of hope for the best but know there may be some hurdles ahead.

Kinda hard to predict a player coming down with the Yips.

15 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Poor pitching? Don't worry, one of these games he's going to go 0-4 and JJ will have his job.

Gee, I see why Kim ultimately didn't succeed here. 

Kim didn't succeed here because he wasn't good.

I think the Beckham acquisition was a good one. I also know he's not going to keep hitting .536 in Orange and Black. Just have to temper expectations a bit.

15 hours ago, ISU94 said:

He's hitting over. 500. Obviously the guy isn't keeping this up. But even the player he was in TB for the first half of this year is someone I would welcome with open arms for what we gave and would happily take at SS for the next 3+ yrs, especially at the price he comes with.

If he does more than that, then we absolutely killed the trade. If not, I still feel like we won by getting a young, controllable, SS for one minor league pitcher who has potential but is also years away and wasn't even a highly ranked prospect in our system.

Yes, if he can settle in as even a .725-.750 OPS player, he's a better offensive shortstop than the O's have had since 2013. Not counting when Manny fills in.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Yes, if he can settle in as even a .725-.750 OPS player, he's a better offensive shortstop than the O's have had since 2013. Not counting when Manny fills in.

Manny hasn't played short this year.  Schoop has.

19 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Idk what all this means haha, but let's just say we were real lucky we got the contribution from Kim that we got last year. 

In a small sample, that is what that said. 

One of the most impressive things about Beckham has been the consistency over his little run.  No way does the average, OBP or slugging hold up, but he's had a hit in every single one of the seven games he's played as an Oriole.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kinda hard to predict a player coming down with the Yips.

He is certainly a major league hitter. We just have three too many DHs. 

48 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

One of the most impressive things about Beckham has been the consistency over his little run.  No way does the average, OBP or slugging hold up, but he's had a hit in every single one of the seven games he's played as an Oriole.

I hated this trade. I had no expectation that Beckham would make the Orioles appreciably better than say Tejada out there. Yea his stats looked a little nicer but they were not exactly great statistics and his defensive reputation left a little to be desired.

I am man enough to admit when I am way wrong and it appears that I was most certainly that. I doubt he is able to sustain even close to this level of play but the fact he has the ability to put up some crooked numbers as he has since arriving seems to suggest that there could be some upside to this kid from what he had demonstrated with the Rays. Time will tell but certainly he could end up being a nice little pick up with plenty of team control left.

Honestly I thought this team was dead in the water, primarily because of the level of starting pitching we had been seeing. KG seems to have found himself, Bundy seems to have gotten a second wind,  the rest of the rotation is doing enough to give this teams bats a chance to win games and they have been doing exactly that. Now only a 1 1/2 game out of the wild card, I do find myself thinking.....what if the pitching can hold up? If it can I think we have a pretty good shot at this thing.

21 hours ago, ISU94 said:

Yet pretty much every single player in that locker room sounded off after the move saying they are disappointed/think it was dumb of them to deal the guy.

When you are the 1st overall pick, if you don't live up to that hype things get tense. I'm sure Beckham had his problems, but the fact that we got him for a pitcher like Myers who although may have potential, is years and year away and wasn't even one of our higher viewed prospects is pretty amazing. The fact that he was a 2.5 WAR player when you compare it to Hardy over the past few years COMBINED and we got him from a division rival for that price just surprises the heck out of me. When you get taken that high, you obviously have the talent to put it together if a few things come together. He obviously won't keep up this pace, but even the pace he was on with the Rays was something I would very much welcome to the team.

Yeah - this has to potential to be a highway robbery.  It comes across as short-sighted to me.  Perhaps it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt with the TB front office.

22 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

One stat of Beckham's that intrigues me is his BABIP.

In 749 MLB at bats, it's .346.

In 2,500+ MiLB at bats, it was .335.

His BABIP in 2017 is .382, good for fifth in the league. Which places him between Aaron Judge (No. 4) and Paul Goldschmidt (No. 6).

When the guy puts the ball in play, he tends to strike it well. If he can put a few more pieces together, he could be something to work with.

If he can put a few more pieces together alongside those BABIP numbers, he would be something to build around.

I'm not going to expect it to happen.  Right now he's a good piece wedged between our two best young players.

14 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

If he can put a few more pieces together alongside those BABIP numbers, he would be something to build around.

I'm not going to expect it to happen.  Right now he's a good piece wedged between our two best young players.

Personally I think his story with the Orioles will be dictated by how well he plays defensively. He is going to hit enough to be a pretty decent option at SS .....IF.....he can play well enough defensively. Sometimes you take a guy and put him around some stellar fielders like Schoop and Machado, their own game and concentration in this regard improves. Nothing motivates people more than a desire to not be an embarrassment lol. Beckham is no dummy, he knows how good those two are defensively. No doubt its an area he is paying special attention to.

24 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Yeah - this has to potential to be a highway robbery.  It comes across as short-sighted to me.  Perhaps it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt with the TB front office.

Heard a former scout/analyst on radio today who said so far it has been the best trade at the deadline and it really isn't that close.  

12 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Heard a former scout/analyst on radio today who said so far it has been the best trade at the deadline and it really isn't that close.  

I'm thrilled with how it's gone so far, but you really can't judge a trade after 7 days.    He was player of the week, so of course the trade looks good so far.    

On 7/31/2017 at 3:46 PM, tntoriole said:

The question I would like to ask Dan is what does this say about and to Manny?   Forget about playing SS for the Orioles?   Or that Manny is not going to be here anyway, so we might as well fill the SS slot with a lower cost, potentially league average replacement?  

If Manny does resign keep him at 3rd. What's the problem with keeping Manny at 3rd?  I'd rather have a league average SS and keep Manny at 3rd.