Roy Firestone

We get Tim Beckham...and its a good pick up

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I have a good feeling about Beckham. So athletic. I think he would make a great OF too. Maybe push Jones to RF and target a SS this winter?

Capable defensive SS that can also hit are pretty hard to find.  Not to mention the fact that we have several good outfielders in the upper minors that will be ready to step in soon. 

Beckham will stay at SS.  Jones may move over to RF next year, but it would be for Hays or Mullins.  More likely that Jones stays in center for his final season and one of those guys is in right or left. 

• Upvote 1

I'll take the occasional dumb error if he continues to a) get to balls Hardy would otherwise have no business ever reaching (saved a run last night, for example, despite the throwing error later in the game) and b) crush the ball to RF.

On 8/8/2017 at 2:35 PM, SteveO said:

Do you think there could be anything to the idea that if you take a guy who is talented but underachieving and now they are suddenly playing between two guys like Machado and Schoop in a new setting, with a new team, a quasi fresh start so to speak, sometimes that scenario can reawaken a guy who is struggling. Obviously the talent has to be there.

SteveO, I get that he wasn't coveted in Tampa, but he was having a career offensive year BEFORE he even came here. He was hardly struggling. 

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

SteveO, I get that he wasn't coveted in Tampa, but he was having a career offensive year BEFORE he even came here. He was hardly struggling. 

.385 babip/30% k/Poor D/Bad attitude. Perfect time to buy. 😳

On 8/8/2017 at 2:47 PM, SteveO said:

lol yup

There are any number of one mans trash is another mans treasure in Baseball history. If we can happen to be on the good end of that instead of the bad end (Arrieta among others)....I'll take it lol

DD does have a knack for finding guys like Beckham, Pearce and others who fill a role and do it pretty decently. If he had that same knack where it came to SP then we might have like 3-4 World Series trophies to gawk at

There was a player who wasn't highly valued by another team before he came to us. The team was the Cincinnati Reds. The player was Frank Robinson. I remember in the trade the Reds GM called him "an old 30". Beckham is 27. I not making the ridiculous comparison that Beckham is some kind of Frobby player, but undervaluation of a players ability and worth happens all the time in baseball.

Seems like a high energy guy who can be really good when he is "on" and buying into the team concept. I am also sure there is a reason Tampa got rid of him and we will see what happens when he and/or the team struggle. For now it is working. He is like anti-Arrieta.

• Upvote 1

He may not bring SB to the team but he does being speed to the lineup. He's been an XBH machine. 

There's an article on MLBTR where JJ said the he accepts the situation and that it isn't awkward, and that he's being a mentor. JJ is a class act and Beckham could pick up a lot from him and the rest of the guys.  Now if Gentry could just teach him how to steal. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/al-notes-sale-hardy-orioles-twins.html?fv-home=true&post-id=99935

Barring rainouts, he would tie Joe DiMaggio's streak on the next to last day of the season and break it on the final day of the season, Sunday, October 1, in Tampa.

Plan your Tampa trip accordingly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

He was a career 96 OPS+ guy when he came to the O's, and that's exactly what his OPS+ was this season when he was traded, so he was always a solid hitting SS in the majors.  People want to say he was terrible, but he was never a bad hitter - with a career low OPS+ of 93.  He was below expectations, and I think people incorrectly skewed their perceptions of him because of that.     

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I'll take the occasional dumb error if he continues to a) get to balls Hardy would otherwise have no business ever reaching (saved a run last night, for example, despite the throwing error later in the game) and b) crush the ball to RF.

According to fangraphs, Beckham is +2.3 runs on range this year, but -3.6 runs on errors.    Hardy is -0.6 on range but +2.1 on errors.     Thus, Hardy is still the superior fielder.

I think the choice really boils down to whether Beckham's offensive advantage outweighs Hardy's defensive advantage.    The numbers so far in 2017 say it does, and that it's not that close.    If Beckham was cold at the plate when Hardy returned, I could see giving Hardy some starts to see whether the 2 months off have done his bat any good.    But if Beckham is hitting steadily (even if not at his current ridiculous clip) it makes no sense to put Hardy in the lineup.    

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

According to fangraphs, Beckham is +2.3 runs on range this year, but -3.6 runs on errors.    Hardy is -0.6 on range but +2.1 on errors.     Thus, Hardy is still the superior fielder.

I think the choice really boils down to whether Beckham's offensive advantage outweighs Hardy's defensive advantage.    The numbers so far in 2017 say it does, and that it's not that close.    If Beckham was cold at the plate when Hardy returned, I could see giving Hardy some starts to see whether the 2 months off have done his bat any good.    But if Beckham is hitting steadily (even if not at his current ridiculous clip) it makes no sense to put Hardy in the lineup.    

What about putting Beckham in the outfield? I could see him taking some ABs from Rickard. His speed and arm would play fine at either corner. Maybe DH. I know he qualifies at 1B in Yahoo Fantasy. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

What about putting Beckham in the outfield? I could see him taking some ABs from Rickard. His speed and arm would play fine at either corner. Maybe DH. I know he qualifies at 1B in Yahoo Fantasy. 

Beckham in the OF is a thought.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think that's a very poor basis to come to that conclusion - an error, if you will.     

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

I think that's a very poor basis to come to that conclusion - an error, if you will.     

I agree. Heck, one of those players hasn't been on the field enough to claim he is the "superior fielder."

Why would we try to move Beckham to the OF when we know a) our best prospects in the minors are outfielders (If we thought Mountcastle could stay at SS, this might be different) and b) Beckham's bad attitude in Tampa was supposed to be due to attempts to move him from SS?  We got somebody good so let him play.