Sign in to follow this  
Elbren

X-Men Movie Universe Updates

I figured that it would be easier to just make a combined thread, much like we have for the various MCU phases.   I'd put this info. there, but (for those who don't know) X-Men is owned by Fox and are not related to the MCU in any way.

Deadpool 2 update.  Ryan Reynolds posted the 1st look at Josh Brolin as Cable.

1st trailer for the New Mutants.

The first thing I noticed was the quality.  Maybe it's just me, but this looks more like a TV show than it does an actual film released in theaters.  Also, if this didn't have the name "New Mutants", I would have had absolutely no idea this had anything to do w/ the X-Men Universe.  I still own the full, original 100 issue run from the 80's/early 90's and I've read the short-lived 2nd run from around 2009.  This didn't remind me of ANY of that. lol

I have no problem w/ super hero movies branching out into different genre's, but I honestly didn't see anything in this trailer that made me want to see this ... and I loved the original source material.  I'm hoping the next trailer is much better.

Well, there's ONE way to get your movie rights back.

It seems Disney has had preliminary talks with FOX to buy it's TV and movie studio.

21st Century FOX is in talks to sell parts of its company to Disney, in a deal that could see movie rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four return to Marvel. One of the parts FOX is looking to sell is the 20th Century FOX movie and TV production studio, which one presumes would include the rights to anything said studio controls, including the X-Men and Fantastic Four superhero teams.

[...]

CNBC has updated their original story to say that while FOX and Disney have indeed had sale talks over the past few weeks, the two companies aren’t currently communicating, and that a deal is by no means certain. That said, CNBC also acknowledges that sale talks could be revisited in the future. For what it’s worth, FOX stock prices soared upward right after CNBC’s initial report was released.

Obviously, these talks are preliminary and could end up going no where, but this would be huge if Disney were able to get the X-Men and FF back.  I've like most of FOX's X-Men movies, but it really is 50/50 on whether they'll be good or not and their "continuity" from film to film is a complete joke.  Seeing that franchise rebooted and added to the MCU would be huge, though it would likely mean the end to shows like Legion and The Gifted.

New Mutants was only 3 months away from release, but now, Fox has officially pushed the film back into 2019.

A source for The Wrap is reporting that New Mutants was delayed from its original April 2018 release date to February 2019 in part because the film “isn’t scary enough” in its current form. Tracking Board is reporting something similar, namely that “word on the street” is that New Mutants did well in test screenings but not great, and Fox wants to add more scares in order to make the film even more of a full-blown horror offering.