Jump to content
Roy Firestone

Sign him.

Recommended Posts

I would try to extend Schoop right now.

Id love to extend Manny and build around him, Schoop, Gausman, and Bundy for years.  Though I'm not sure if we'll get Manny. 

 

So get Schoop. Might help convince Manny later too.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

They say you should never think of contracts after someone does something really bad or really good.

I get that.

Its a long season and there are so many factors and hundreds of million dollars may be at stake.

Business dealing takes a sober mind, a pragmatic mind, and objectivity.

Manny Machado just had the game of his life and thrilled the home town crowd with a Grand Slam walkout home run, one of three on the night.

Find a way to sign this player and do it this off season.

Sure, he's got bad knees which will become arthritic at some point.

Sometimes he sulks, and sometimes he doesn't run hard.

But sign him.

This is a player of historic talent.

He makes plays in the field that even Brooks couldn't make.

He hits home runs and will hit hundreds more for someone at some point.

It might as well be the Orioles.

It might take $300 million to sign Machado, maybe more.

Oriole officials want to know how willing he is to sign and what the price will be.

I say, make your very best offer now and sign him to a 7 year deal. Or more.

If we lose Machado, we will rebuild and the fan base will lose interest.

Attendance is already suffering.

If the money is there,make the deal.

Sign Manny Machado.

DO IT.

I think this is a predictable but foolish post. Machado is going to get north of $400 mil and it won't be from this organization. As I've stated previously and continue to advocate, we need to move him prior to 2018 and get those key pieces so that we can intelligently and effectively stay relevant for the next ten years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think this is a predictable but foolish post. Machado is going to get north of $400 mil and it won't be from this organization. As I've stated previously and continue to advocate, we need to move him prior to 2018 and get those key pieces so that we can intelligently and effectively stay relevant for the next ten years.

Intelligently & effectively? Are we still talking about the fighting Parra's of Baltimore? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is rather simplistic idea to think money alone will be the determining factor on whether he signs with the O's (unless he has an ego problem and has to be the highest paid player at one point in his career). I believe he will go where he wants to go. The few extra million/year is not going to change his lifestyle or make his family more secure. If Jeter does become involve with the Marlins, I think Manny is likely to end up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think this is a predictable but foolish post. Machado is going to get north of $400 mil and it won't be from this organization. As I've stated previously and continue to advocate, we need to move him prior to 2018 and get those key pieces so that we can intelligently and effectively stay relevant for the next ten years.

I agree .I'm not sure of the $400 mill, but it is not impossible. I also believe that if you got the right deal, it could make the O's better in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the MFY, LAD, and MIA being the O's competition for Manny. In terms of need the O's have the biggest. In terms of money the LAD have it. Miami may want to make a big splash under new ownership, I say they are the favorites.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I think he goes home to Miami, and I'll be forced to casually root for the Marlins.  I definitely won't blame him for leaving, but I will blame the hell out of ownership if we let him WALK to Miami.  It will be unforgivable in my book.

But dang, I wish he'd watch that fan video from inside the stadium that Cumberbundy posted so he could see how much we love him here.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

It is rather simplistic idea to think money alone will be the determining factor on whether he signs with the O's (unless he has an ego problem and has to be the highest paid player at one point in his career). I believe he will go where he wants to go. The few extra million/year is not going to change his lifestyle or make his family more secure. If Jeter does become involve with the Marlins, I think Manny is likely to end up there.

So money is simplistic, but Jeter speculation is complex theory? Rather simplistic to think the deciding factor would be what it almost always is. Maybe he will go to the city with the highest % people born on a Thursday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I agree .I'm not sure of the $400 mill, but it is not impossible. I also believe that if you got the right deal, it could make the O's better in the long run.

Wouldn't "the right deal" always make the team better? 🤔 Seems simplistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You sign Schoop and Machado long term for whatever they want. Try to move the Trumbo contract. They have 5 outfield prospects that should be able to fill the outfield for cheap. Trade the expensive bullpen arms and dump the rest of the money into starting pitching. 

That's how they extend the window IMO. They would have a young team led by Schoop, Machado, and Mancini on offense and a rotation with hopefully Bundy, Gausmen, and Harvey in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

So money is simplistic, but Jeter speculation is complex theory? Rather simplistic to think the deciding factor would be what it almost always is. Maybe he will go to the city with the highest % people born on a Thursday. 

Jeter + Miami home town+ Money is not simplistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Jeter + Miami home town+ Money is not simplistic.

So Miami can afford both Manny and Stanton and we can't afford Manny? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So Miami can afford both Manny and Stanton and we can't afford Manny? 

Yes the appear to only be committed to 64M they have 28 arb eligible players that would total 113M if they tendered all contracts, But I think that gives them wiggle room. Plus new ownership will want to make a big splash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Rumors and News






×