Roy Firestone

Sign him.

I'm with you Roy.    It's a shame management wasn't farsighted enough to do it a couple of years ago.   In the early part of 2015 I proposed signing Manny for 10/$231 mm.    I believe that would have done it at the time.    It's going to cost a lot more now, which is too damned bad.    But we need to sign him.    He's a once in a generation talent for a franchise.  

• Like 1

Are there any medical reports that say he could suffer from arthritis while he's still playing?

That said, I agree.  I want nothing more than to sign this generational talent. 

If we let him walk in FA, I'll be disgusted.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Peter Angelos doesn't understand who is a great player you must retain at all costs, and who isn't.   Nor does he understand when is the right time to make these decisions.    

Well, to be fair, if a baseball man he trusts tells him to keep the slugger at all costs how much can we blame him for listening?

IMO it is likely the O's will (and maybe have over the years) offer at least a 300/10 contract and may go to 350/10 (no higher). I don't think PA is cheap, as is evident by his team payroll (and his contract to CD). The main question for me (and perhaps someone that knows Manny can help me out here) is, is Manny a bright lights kind of guy? Does he have a desire to play nearer his  Miami beginnings? Does he have any Baltimore connection or does he just say the right things, If $$$$$$ is the ultimate element, I believe the O's will be in it. There are things that are out of O's control. After all these years with the O's, PA, DD, BS, JS, and AJ should know where his heart is. Manny doesn't live in a vacuum. If they have suspicions about Manny wanting to leave the O's, then they should trade him. If they believe he really wants to stay then he shouldn't go to ST '18 without a long term contract.

• Upvote 1

OR... you would think the Orioles have already made their best offer and Machado "remains hesitant".. IOW, he ain't planning on signing with the O's! I say trade him NOW while he's currently peaking - he's playing the best ball of his 2017 season.  The O's need prospects (pitchers) and as long as that human anchor remains on this club (Chris Davis for another 5 yrs), the team will continue to flounder around .500 or worse!

Best case scenario -- Machado signs L/T contract with O's and the O's move CD to the Hiroshima Carp this off season for some cherry trees!!

I think you guys fret unnecessarily.  Here is the only question you need to answer.  Is Manny willing to stay?  I certainly hope so, but if he wants to leave it really doesn't matter if the O's offer $300 or $500 million.  If its a bidding war, someone outbids us and that is indisputable.  

You think the Orioles won't pay him enough to stay?  Thats funny.  Lets say just for shirts and grins, he wants $500MM.  How in the world can that be afforded or justified?   First of all, the Orioles pay nearly that much to three people on the current roster.  Hardy, Britton and Davis. Machado has had an off year and has still out performed this trio.  

Yes, he will want an opt out.  If you must insist on not giving one, then load a contract with 10 million in incentives per year for things like MVP, Gold Glove, All Star, etc.

But my conversation would be something like this, Manny, are you willing to stay in Baltimore forever and join, Brooks, Cal, Eddie, Frank, Jim and Earl in our history's inner circle?  If he says yes I would ask him what he wants and start there.  If he says no, then you have to trade him.  Is it really any more complex than that?

At this point I think he tests FA. Whether he wants to be an oriole or not, I think he's at the point where he sees what he can get. He may very well give the Os the opportunity to match. I don't know. What I do know is that should he leave, it's not necessarily indicative of him not wanting to be here nor the Os not trying to sign him.