Jump to content
Datalore

Pedro Alvarez Appreciation

Recommended Posts

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think some team would have beat 2/18?

I have seen no valid information on that one way or another.  I'd say Dan was in a better position to judge that.    I would say Dan paid for something that he did not  get in the first  year of Trumbo contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I have seen no valid information on that one way or another.  I'd say Dan was in a better position to judge that.    I would say Dan paid for something that he did not  get in the first  year of Trumbo contract.

What in Trumbo's history would make Dan think that?  His current numbers are not particularly out of line for a player of his type over the age of 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What in Trumbo's history would make Dan think that?  His current numbers are not particularly out of line for a player of his type over the age of 30

Well, I believe there is speculation that Peter played a role in Trumbo's signing.   But the belief behind Trumbo's contract probably revolves around how he led the league in HRs in 2016 and  the impression that he hit  well in the O's hitters park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pedro has had two at bats, right?   Two strikeouts.    It will be interesting to see if we fall out of contention whether he gets DFAd.    Or if we stay in contention, whether he gets more than one at bat in a month.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, I believe there is speculation that Peter played a role in Trumbo's signing.   But the belief behind Trumbo's contract probably revolves around how he led the league in HRs in 2016 and  the impression that he hit  well in the O's hitters park.

Agreed.   And I don't agree that the Carter/Alvarez deals set the market for Trumbo.    He was a better option than those two, going into the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Angelos not only had a hand in resigning Trumbo, but also Davis, in my opinion.  I don't think Duquette left to his own devices would have done either contract.

As far as Alvarez goes -- I think the organization treated him well, considering.  They gave him a minor league gig and a chance to learn OF defense.  They really didn't have to do that -- OF is the best / deepest position on the farm aside from maybe relief pitching.

Consider last year's NL Home Run king, Chris Carter.  Signs a small deal with the Yankees and flames out anyway.  He went from 41 HR to on the street in less than a year.  Guys that do nothing but hit HRs are no longer a valuable commodity.  Which is probably more of an indictment on the Trumbo contract than the treatment of Alvarez.

[EDIT] before I even finish typing Frobby counters my last point, lol.  Davis has more value than the others because he can play 1B at a high level.  I dunno about Trumbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Mr. Angelos not only had a hand in resigning Trumbo, but also Davis, in my opinion.  I don't think Duquette left to his own devices would have done either contract.

As far as Alvarez goes -- I think the organization treated him well, considering.  They gave him a minor league gig and a chance to learn OF defense.  They really didn't have to do that -- OF is the best / deepest position on the farm aside from maybe relief pitching.

Consider last year's NL Home Run king, Chris Carter.  Signs a small deal with the Yankees and flames out anyway.  He went from 41 HR to on the street in less than a year.  Guys that do nothing but hit HRs are no longer a valuable commodity.  Which is probably more of an indictment on the Trumbo contract than the treatment of Alvarez.

[EDIT] before I even finish typing Frobby counters my last point, lol.  Davis has more value than the others because he can play 1B at a high level.  I dunno about Trumbo.

I am not sure I give Dan quite so much credit.  I wonder how you see that conversation going...

Dan:  Mr. Angelos, I am certainly not in favor of doing that.  I would recommend instead we spend those dollars in doing X......

Mr. Angelos:   Fie, Dan, fie!  Give me Crush.  Give me the TrumboBumbo!  I can't not have my favorites on my team. Let it be written, let it be done. 

Dan: Yes, my lord.  (while thinking...man, I could have been in Toronto) 

No, I wouldn't doubt that Dan recommended both deals, until he says otherwise in public some day.  Even then, it makes Dan's PR better if he can palm them both off as Angelos impulsive, interfering decision making. 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

I sure do appreciate the 2-out, solo home run that Alvarez hit to tie the game up against the Red Sox, after the Orioles had blown a 5-run lead.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd appreciate the Orioles signing an affordable option like Alvarez instead of paying guys multi year deals based on career years. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

I sure do appreciate the 2-out, solo home run that Alvarez hit to tie the game up against the Red Sox, after the Orioles had blown a 5-run lead.

 

o

Another inch on that line shot and he would have won the game with his second homer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Classy move tonight for the O's to start Alvarez at 1B against Pittsburgh.   

Yes, it was. I'd be happy to have him back in a DH role if they can move Trumbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, it was. I'd be happy to have him back in a DH role if they can move Trumbo.

I'd rather pay Mancini league minimum to DH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Rumors and News






×