Elbren

2017 Week 2: Ravens vs. Browns

10 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

That's a bloody shame. Do you see Ozzie deal for guard help?

I doubt it.  We traded for a couple lineman before the season started.  We probably just have to roll with what we have at this point. 

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Yeah.  Fractured ankle. 

Damn.  That's pretty devastating to the O-line.

I doubt it.  We traded for a couple lineman before the season started.  We probably just have to roll with what we have at this point. 

Yeah, I'm assuming one of the two guys we traded for steps in at RG and Eluemunor starts getting playing time in the rotation of backups.  The only guy out there that I can think of that could help (once again) is Mangold, but with him, you go right back to that conversation of:

1. Has his price come down?

2. Can the team even fit him into the cap?

3. Is he healthy enough to play?

4. Is he even in game-shape?

Beyond that, the only other option would be to trade picks for an O-lineman and that won't be cheap.  I think the team goes w/ what we have until it's glaringly obvious that what we have isn't working.  At least until the trade deadline.

5 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Isn't that a pretty good reason to be inactive?  These guys are still learning how to play in the NFL.  I'm pretty sure every team in the NFL uses the inactives for recently drafted players, besides injuries. 

If these were late round 'project' type picks, I'd agree w/ you, but they're not.  They're not even mid-round project-type guys at a skill position like a QB, WR or CB. (except for Moore)  Eluemunor is "only" a 5th round pick, but it seems odd that he'd be inactive when we only have two other backup O-linemen.  

I'm more annoyed that there are two 3rd's and a 4th round pick on the roster not contributing.  One of the few team strengths we've had over the past couple years has been our D-line, so why did we take Kaufusi, Wormley and Henry?  Those picks could have been O-linemen or something else that was a higher need than D-line.  The team can't keep saying "Best Player Available" and then keep having these high-mid round picks that don't contribute.  This is why we're stuck in the cap situation we're in.  It's not because of Flacco.  It's because we keep having to fill all of these holes w/ veterans.  We keep having to spend money on guys like Zuttah, Austin Howard, Carr, Weddle, Jeffereson, Wallace, Steve Smith or Maclin.

10 turnovers so far is certainly impressive.  I was still a little unhappy when it seemed like the Browns were able to move the ball down the field against us (particularly when their 'backup' was under center).   Regardless, good against Dalton and Kizer is one thing............good against the elites is something else.   I'm not sure we'll know exactly how this defense stacks up until after we face Big Ben and Derek Carr in Weeks 4-5.

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

10 turnovers so far is certainly impressive.  I was still a little unhappy when it seemed like the Browns were able to move the ball down the field against us (particularly when their 'backup' was under center).   Regardless, good against Dalton and Kizer is one thing............good against the elites is something else.   I'm not sure we'll know exactly how this defense stacks up until after we face Big Ben and Derek Carr in Weeks 4-5.

We got screwed by the schedule makers.  We go to London, then home to play the Steelers, then to Oakland, then home, then to Minnesota, then home to play the Dolphins on a Thursday. 

28 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

We got screwed by the schedule makers.  We go to London, then home to play the Steelers, then to Oakland, then home, then to Minnesota, then home to play the Dolphins on a Thursday. 

Sorry, not that impressed.  Lots of teams have to deal with stuff like this (London trip notwithstanding).   Also, the Ravens lobbied hard to NOT have their bye week after the London trip right?   So that kinda worked out for us.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Sorry, not that impressed.  Lots of teams have to deal with stuff like this (London trip notwithstanding).   Also, the Ravens lobbied hard to NOT have their bye week after the London trip right?   So that kinda worked out for us.

Lots of teams have to go to London, then come home and face their archrival, then fly across the country?  I highly doubt that. 

Lots of teams have to go to London, then come home and face their archrival, then fly across the country?  I highly doubt that. 

I think the usual custom is for the London teams to come home to a bye week.  Obviously the Ravens were not interested in that this year......so this is what we are left with.  At least we'll have Pitt at home.

8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I think the usual custom is for the London teams to come home to a bye week.  Obviously the Ravens were not interested in that this year......so this is what we are left with.  At least we'll have Pitt at home.

This is where I am w/ this subject.  We're the one's who turned down the bye week after London because we didn't want it that early in the season.  As for the travel, I really don't mind the every-other-game schedule that we have this year.  No, we don't have a long home stand, but we don't have a long period away from Baltimore either.  Also, this isn't MLB where the team is playing 8-12 hours after getting off their flight.  They have plenty of time to get over any kind of travel/jet-lag.