Sign in to follow this  
jcarm

2 Orioles in BA Carolina League top prospects list

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I also got great reviews about him from instructs. Jeff Manto has been working hard with him and he was able to take some of that instruction into games down there, something he hasn't been able to do in the past.

Watching him this year, I feel like his hit tool is underrated, the amount of quality contact he made without great strike zone judgement was impressive to me.  Good to hear that he's making improvements in instructs. 

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I also got great reviews about him from instructs. Jeff Manto has been working hard with him and he was able to take some of that instruction into games down there, something he hasn't been able to do in the past.

Any other tidbits from instructs, Tony?   Are they over already?

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, they are over. Players I heard stood out were Reyes, Mosquit, McCoy, and DL Hall threw well. Palmeiro made the successful transition to second base and will play there next year.

Sounds good.   Glad to hear that Moesquit was among those who made a good impression -- we could use a little speed, and if ever a 5'8", 165 lb. player had an obvious nickname, this is it.    I'll be rooting for "The Mosquito" to make good progress in 2018!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Sounds good.   Glad to hear that Moesquit was among those who made a good impression -- we could use a little speed, and if ever a 5'8", 165 lb. player had an obvious nickname, this is it.    I'll be rooting for "The Mosquito" to make good progress in 2018!

Supposedly he was better defensively at second base but I've seen him a lot this year and he;s awful defensively. Well below average arm, bad hands, not good on coming in on balls. Offensively he has issues with good velocity and although he runs extremely well, he was only a 74% success base stealer in a league where holding runners, time to the plate, and catcher's arms aren't that good.

He's a nice little org guy and 24th round selection, but I don't see anything more than a AA tops guy. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, they are over. Players I heard stood out were Reyes, Mosquit, McCoy, and DL Hall threw well. Palmeiro made the successful transition to second base and will play there next year.

McCoy is interesting to me, I like his swing and approach and I think he's going to stay in the middle infield.  I'm looking forward to seeing him at higher levels so I can get a better read on him.

Mosquit has grade 20 power, it's a hard road for a player like that to make it. He never stood out to me and I saw him play a bunch. He does have a lot of range at 2B and if he can clean his game up he'd be a really solid org guy.

If Palmeiro can handle 2B, he'll go from a non-prospect to a fringe prospect, so that's interesting.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

McCoy is interesting to me, I like his swing and approach and I think he's going to stay in the middle infield.  I'm looking forward to seeing him at higher levels so I can get a better read on him.

Mosquit has grade 20 power, it's a hard road for a player like that to make it. He never stood out to me and I saw him play a bunch. He does have a lot of range at 2B and if he can clean his game up he'd be a really solid org guy.

If Palmeiro can handle 2B, he'll go from a non-prospect to a fringe prospect, so that's interesting.

Very fringy, but you can't give up on him because if he can have some pop as second baseman he could eventually have some kind of value. Can't hit lefties at all and I have bat speed concerns with him, but moving him to second base absolutely made sense because he has excellent hands, a solid average arm, and although he has a little pop, he won't ever have 1st base pop.