Sign in to follow this  
Spy Fox

2017 Playoffs Thread

Predictions, discussion, etc!

I might tune in more than usual this year just to see some good baseball and wash out the horrible taste of the Orioles' September...

My picks:

Wild Card

• MIN over NYY, just because I want it to happen. Only happens if they can keep the Yanks in the park, but maybe the Twins have one of those offensive explosions they've been doing a lot lately. 
  • ARI over COL. Greinke shows up. 

Division Series

• WAS over CHI. The Nationals get their first playoff series win as Scherzer/Strasburg/Gio deliver.
  • LAD over ARI. I can see Arizona making this close but the Dodgers just have more weapons. 
  • HOU over BOS. If the Astros can beat Sale one out of two times I think they've got this.
  • CLE over MIN. Not sure this one will be close...

Championship Series

• HOU over CLE. Houston's offense gets hot enough that Cleveland's pitching advantage can't make up for it.
  • WAS over LAD. The Dodgers have more overall team depth, but Scherzer can match Kershaw and I think the rest of the rotation favors DC in a short series. 

World Series

• HOU over WAS. DC's bullpen vulnerability causes problems for the first time in the playoffs and the team that looked like the best for the first couple months of the season ends up bringing home the stats of Texas' first Series win. 

Wild Card:

-- I'll go with the Twins too just because I want to see it happen

-- Grienke backed by Arizona's hitting is way too much for the Rockies

Division Series

-- Indians sweep Twins.  Just too good

-- Astros/Sox go the distance, I have to give it to Boston if Sale is on the mound in Game 5

-- Nats/Cubs, man this is tough.  Nats are the better team.  Both bullpens can be iffy.  Madden at the helm is a clear Chicago edge.  It will go 5 and until the Mats prove to me they can come up big when it counts, I have to go Chicago

-- Arizona bats prove too much for LA.  Kershaw is the only Dodger pitcher to really FEAR and he has not excelled in postseason.  The other starters are good but not shut-down-the-Diamondbacks good.  Paul Goldschmidt shines on the big stage, Arizona in 4

Championship Series

-- Cleveland, on a mission after last year, in 6.  Lindor is the real deal, Bienentendi is a pretender.  Boston's non-Kimbrel bullpen gets exposed.  (Joe Kelly 100 MPH fastball is not the same as Andrew Miller 100 MPH fastball)

-- Grienke goes MadBum and wins 3 games, Arizona wins in 7

World Series

- Believeland wins their 2nd championship in 2 years after the 50+ year drought on the strength of their pitching.  Series goes 6 and ends Halloween night just before midnight.

That's my best guess.  I mentioned fastballs earlier, well Fastball will take the stage here at Ram's Head on Stage in Annapolis in an hour or so.  About to close the bar tab and head over to the music venue.  Hope when I get out of the concert the Twins have things well in hand.

o

(A.L. WILDCARD PLAYOFF GAME)

MINNESOTA TWINS

Brian Dozier - 2B

Joe Mauer - 1B

Jorge Polanco - SS

Eddie Rosario - LF

Eduardo Escobar - 3B

Max Kepler - RF

Byron Buxton - CF

Jason Castro - C

Robbie Grossman - DH

Ervin Ramon Santana - P )) (16-8, 3.28 ERA) ) *

* ) Led the Major Leagues in Complete Games (5), and Complete-Game Shutouts (3)

NEW YORK YANKEES

Brett Gardner - LF

Aaron Judge - RF

Gary Sanchez - C

Mariekson Gregorius - SS

Starlin Castro - 2B

Greg Bird - 1B

Aaron Hicks - CF

Jacoby Ellsbury - DH

Todd Frazier - 3B

Luis Severino - P )) (14-6, 2.98 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

• Thanks 1

The Twins always lose to the Yankees, I expect that to continue tonight.

Would like to see a ALCS between Cleveland and Houston, as far as NL would like to see the Cubs play either the DBacks or Dodgers. With that being said, wouldn't bet against the Nats finally getting out of the first round.

Should be a great postseason and look forward to it. Will miss a good chunk of the LCS and World Series though as will be out of the country.

5 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Good start for the Twins up 3-0 early.

If the Orioles can't be in the playoffs, the Yankees can at least bow out early.  Let's go Twins.

Just now, schittenden said:

If the Orioles can't be in the playoffs, the Yankees can at least bow out early.  Let's go Twins.

Buddy of mine said it looked like Tillman was pitching. 

Still early, if Twins can get these 2 in that would be huge. 

I would like to see the ALCS between the Astros and Twins but would be ok with. Cleveland.  For the NLCS I would love to see the Nats and Rox/D-Backs whichever can win the WC.

Edited by CynBeth

o

The 2 baserunners are still Severino's responsibility, so we cannot yet calculate his 2017 postseason ERA.

o

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Buddy of mine said it looked like Tillman was pitching. 

Still early, if Twins can get these 2 in that would be huge. 

Or Wright. Or first-half Gausman. Or Bad Ubaldo. Or Wilson. Or...

Just now, schittenden said:

Or Wright. Or first-half Gausman. Or Bad Ubaldo. Or Wilson. Or...

He was awful. 

Well, as they say in one game anything can happen. The Twins had just got swept in NY few weeks ago. Obviously, a lot of baseball to be played but it always seem the road team with the lesser record wins these wild card games.

Just now, O's are Legends said:

Well, as they say in one game anything can happen. The Twins had just got swept in NY few weeks ago. Obviously, a lot of baseball to be played but it always seem the road team with the lesser record wins these wild card games.

I don't trust Santana tonight.