Sign in to follow this  
Spy Fox

2017 Playoffs Thread

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

That pick-off play reminds me of Game 4 of the 1987 ALCS, when Darrell Evans was picked off of 3rd base by the Twins' catcher at a crucial time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET198710110.shtml

o

o

Darrell Evans said he was ''in shock'' when it happened. ''You don't figure that's going to happen,'' he said. ''It's probably the only thing I didn't think could happen the whole time I was at third base.''

What happened to Evans and the Detroit Tigers last night in the sixth inning of the fourth game of the American League pennant playoff was so disastrous, it shoved them to the brink of elimination.

It was bad enough that Evans was picked off third with only one out, but circumstances grew worse when Evans had to play third base for only the second time since June 20th, and he failed to field two grounders that should have become outs.

''You want to dig a hole and bury yourself,'' the 40-year-old Evans said, ''but you can't do that.''

HOW IT HAPPENED: Strategic Inning Left Twins Ahead

(By Murray Chass)

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/12/sports/how-it-happened-strategic-inning-left-twins-ahead.html

o

1 minute ago, O's are Legends said:

Great job by Davis and what a call on the curve.

Harper had nothing on his mind but hitting it far. He was not trying to get on base for the next guy, neither did Werth before him. They helped Davis out.

5 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Harper had nothing on his mind but hitting it far. He was not trying to get on base for the next guy, neither did Werth before him. They helped Davis out.

That's why it was a great call to not throw the heater. Everyone have a good night. Go Astros tomorrow!

So was the Lobaton pickoff last night the most impactful replay-overturn in the history of baseball so far?

I'm trying to think of a bigger one and nothing comes to mind.

15 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Whoever the Astros face in the WS (knock-knock) will feel like old times. They played for decades in that league.

An Astro/Brewer World Series would have been interesting, and confusing.