Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

Duke's Argument for #1 (2017-18 Season)

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

They have a ton of talent.  No question about it.  Why are they losing to mediocre and bad teams (State and BC)?  Is it the coaching?

Don't you think that is way too many conference losses before February?

I do think Coach K is an overrated college coach, and he does a poor job of developing his benches - I think what he's thinking is that in the NCAA tournament, you don't need a bench.  Virginia's a far more disciplined team.  It's amazing how well they play year in and year out.  The Brogdon/Justin Anderson teams I think had more talent than the current VA team, so I think this might actually be VA's best coached team.  Btw, Brodgon's doing a terrific job with Milwaukee and Anderson's coming around with Philly - those UVA players are coached up real good - as the saying goes.      

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

I do think Coach K is an overrated college coach, and he does a poor job of developing his benches - I think what he's thinking is that in the NCAA tournament, you don't need a bench.  Virginia's a far more disciplined team.  It's amazing how well they play year in and year out.  The Brogdon/Justin Anderson teams I think had more talent than the current VA team, so I think this might actually be VA's best coached team.  Btw, Brodgon's doing a terrific job with Milwaukee and Anderson's coming around with Philly - those UVA players are coached up real good - as the saying goes.      

K has proven you can win in the tourney with a short rotation.  In 2001 he won with a 7 man rotation. 

As far as UVA goes, they also have Harris and Scott holding their own in the NBA.  Before that group of four, they only produced four NBA players that played for more than one season since Olden Polynice...class of '86.

15 hours ago, Ruzious said:

And still barely beat them.

Fwiw, if they played a best of 7 series,  I think Duke would win at least 5.  Duke's 2 bigs are a top 5 pick (possibly #1 in the entire draft) and a likely top 10 pick.  Grayson Allen has anger issues, but he's a top quality senior shooting guard, Gary Trent Jr is a quality swingman who'll likely be a 1st round pick, and Trevon DuVall is one of the top freshman PG's in the country who will also likely be a 1st round pick.  Virginia likely has no 1st round picks on their roster.    

Duke’s Achilles heel is the inexperience of Duval and Trent.    They are both very talented but make a ton of rookie mistakes.    Virginia’s superior experience and discipline really showed.   

The good news for Duke is that the NCAA tournament doesn’t start for six weeks or so.    There’s still time for Trent and Duval to learn from their mistakes and grow.     If they do, Duke could win it all.   If they don’t, Duke could lose in the second round.   

On 1/21/2018 at 11:05 AM, Frobby said:

I’ve seen nothing to change my mind since Thanksgiving.    This may be the most talented team Duke has ever had — which is not the same thing as saying it’s the best team Duke has ever had.    Defensively, they’re inconsistent at best.    But they do hit the boards better than almost any Duke team I can think of.    And Bagley is probably one of the five most talented players Duke has ever had.  

The 98-99 team was pretty loaded.  I think they had four first round picks and Shane Battier.  The 2000-01 team was extremely top heavy, but not very deep.

21 hours ago, backwardsk said:

The 98-99 team was pretty loaded.  I think they had four first round picks and Shane Battier.  The 2000-01 team was extremely top heavy, but not very deep.

Yeah, the ‘98-99 team was loaded, though several of those players didn’t really pan out at the next level.   I really think Bagley may be better than anyone on that team, including Elton Brand or Battier.   

Just watched Marvin Bagley III score 33 and grab 16 rebounds in the ACC Tournament against Notre Dame.    The announcers said that in Coach K’s time at Duke, there have been five games where a Duke player scored 30 points and gotten 15 rebounds — once by Christian Laettner and four times this year by Bagley.     I think he’s the best freshman Duke has ever had, and may turn out to be their best player, period.