Jump to content
weams

Thank you for your service

Recommended Posts

To all of you who serve or have served in the nation's armed forces. We all owe you the debt of gratitude. 

Happy Veterans Day. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard an interesting show on NPR’s “1-A” yesterday.     Several veterans said they don’t like the phrase “thank you for your service” because it doesn’t reflect an understanding of what military service is, and sounds almost like you’ve done a menial task.     Frankly, I don’t get that perspective.   What else are you supposed to say?   But I do understand that merely paying lip service isn’t enough to show appreciation for what our vets have done or to help them readjust to civilian life.

There’s a book and a movie out now called “Thank You For Your Service” that chronicles what soldiers go through when they come home.   The author of the book was on the show yesterday.   

Our office is open on Veteran’s Day, and last year our managing partner sent an email around identifying every person in our office who had served in the military (it’s quite a few, including the former Army Judge Advocate General, the Army’s highest-ranked lawyer) and thanking them for what they’d done.   I thought it was a nice touch.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly did not choose to offended anyone with my specific choice of words. For those who were drafted I am especially grateful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, weams said:

I certainly did not choose to offended anyone with my specific choice of words. For those who were drafted I am especially grateful. 

Incredible how thanking anyone could be construed as offensive.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, weams said:

I certainly did not choose to offended anyone with my specific choice of words. For those who were drafted I am especially grateful. 

 

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Incredible how thanking anyone could be construed as offensive.

Of course nobody who says that is trying to offend anyone; quite the opposite.     Here’s a link to the podcast, for anyone interested:  https://the1a.org/shows/2017-11-09/when-we-say-support-the-troops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Incredible how thanking anyone could be construed as offensive.

It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable since I served between the gulf wars and never came anywhere near putting myself in harm's way.

I have a hard time grouping myself with those that chose a career in combat arms during time of war.

I do think anyone that chooses to be offended by it is simply looking to be offended and should be ignored.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable since I served between the gulf wars and never came anywhere near putting myself in harm's way.

I have a hard time grouping myself with those that chose a career in combat arms during time of war.

I do think anyone that chooses to be offended by it is simply looking to be offended and should be ignored.

 

 

You’d have to listen to the podcast to get the context.    

Speaking of getting off light, my Dad served in the Navy just after the Korean War ended, and was assigned to a base in Bermuda for two years.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 1:02 PM, Il BuonO said:

Incredible how thanking anyone could be construed as offensive.

Today's society is very quick trigger to find something inoffensive and turn it into something more than it is.

My father was drafted and served towards the end of the Korean war, but never saw anything close to conflict. he does not consider himself in the same category as somebody that actually served on the front or came into harms's way. He does not get offended when somebody thanks him for his service. he says it beats the times during the Vietnam war and everybody hated the soldiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2017 at 12:06 PM, Redskins Rick said:

Today's society is very quick trigger to find something inoffensive and turn it into something more than it is.

My father was drafted and served towards the end of the Korean war, but never saw anything close to conflict. he does not consider himself in the same category as somebody that actually served on the front or came into harms's way. He does not get offended when somebody thanks him for his service. he says it beats the times during the Vietnam war and everybody hated the soldiers.

Yeah. I know a lot of Vietnam vets here, and they're all salty about people who dodged the draft. I think it's funny also how people applauded men who skipped out on Vietnam's draft and then now when they're in politics (local, state, federal) they're chastized for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Yeah. I know a lot of Vietnam vets here, and they're all salty about people who dodged the draft. I think it's funny also how people applauded men who skipped out on Vietnam's draft and then now when they're in politics (local, state, federal) they're chastized for it. 

There is a group of volunteers that work the BWI airport in Maryland. Whenever troops fly in from deployment which is quite often, they try to have people there, waving flags and welcoming them back home, and sometimes with small goodies bags and maybe even a hug or two. You should see some of the surprise looks on their faces.

Sometime we should have done for our Vietnam vets, at least this is one good change in our society.

FTR, I am not salty about draft dodgers, I am still pissed at them, I lost friends who served there, and I have one relative that served and came back, but wasn't was the same as he was. But, they served. I have no respect at all for draft dodgers.

One a couple of occasions, when they learned of dead soldiers being returned, they had flags out on the taxiway and water cannons salute from fire aparatus over the airplane as it taxied by, very moving experience to see.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

There is a group of volunteers that work the BWI airport in Maryland. Whenever troops fly in from deployment which is quite often, they try to have people there, waving flags and welcoming them back home, and sometimes with small goodies bags and maybe even a hug or two. You should see some of the surprise looks on their faces.

Sometime we should have done for our Vietnam vets, at least this is one good change in our society.

FTR, I am not salty about draft dodgers, I am still pissed at them, I lost friends who served there, and I have one relative that served and came back, but wasn't was the same as he was. But, they served. I have no respect at all for draft dodgers.

One a couple of occasions, when they learned of dead soldiers being returned, they had flags out on the taxiway and water cannons salute from fire aparatus over the airplane as it taxied by, very moving experience to see.

Vietnam vets should have had that. I can't get drafted due to a health deferment, but I can see why people would get angry about draft dodgers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Yeah. I know a lot of Vietnam vets here, and they're all salty about people who dodged the draft. I think it's funny also how people applauded men who skipped out on Vietnam's draft and then now when they're in politics (local, state, federal) they're chastized for it. 

There was this rich guy who dodged the draft getting phony deferments.  He is in politics now. Nobody seem to care about it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, POR said:

There was this rich guy who dodged the draft getting phony deferments.  He is in politics now. Nobody seem to care about it.   

There’s a guy in politics who should have been kicked out for wet starting his engine like a jackass and causing the USS Forrestal to go up in smoke, and gave up secrets to the enemy while a POW for better treatment. This guy also wants to vote for war every chance he can get. 

There was this other guy who ran in 2004 who won 3 Purple Hearts and who wants to send my generation into the same war he fought, but in the sand. Even when he said that congress shouldn’t support the same war that he fought in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Rumors and News






×