weams

GM Meetings

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

I'm not exactly agreeing with the sentiment, I find the price of the entertainment options I choose to be reasonable.  Just saying that if one has a problem with the way something is priced, speaking with your wallet is more effective than speaking with your mouth.

Of course, you as the consumer controls what you do.

We complain about David Price making $31m per season.

Yet, top movie stars are raking in $65m per year.

Bottom line, we the consumer have to eat the costs, because of the rising costs of the entertainment.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Movie Ticket = $12.50   / Ball Park Ticket = $20-40

Parking = Normally Free / Parking $10, unless you take light rail, and then figure in cost and parking, regardless, cost more at the ball game

Concessions is a push, both cost money, but you dont have to buy at either.

So movie is more affordable than a ball game. IMO

I said a movie was more affordable. I'd also argue that a professional sports SHOULD be more than a movie. I was using at as a frame of reference.

Also, while it's pretty easy to sneak food and drink into a movie, it's not actually allowed. It is allowed at OPACY.

10 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Camden Yards is one of the exceptions to the new rule.

And I guarantee you, I am more valuable to the orioles while physically in the ball park than I am at home. Up until this past season I usually went to around 10-15 games a year, and spent $100-150 while there just on myself if with friends, and more if I am bringing guests. I am not the type of person who buys merchandise, beyond my subscription fee to MASN, they get nothing from me at home.

Teams make far more on television revenue in the industry today than they do at the stadium. They get your subscriber fees, and they get the ratings, which brings the ad revenue. Ballpark revenue is still important to them, but far less so than TV viewership.

Just now, Babypowder said:

Teams make far more on television revenue in the industry today than they do at the stadium. They get your subscriber fees, and they get the ratings, which brings the ad revenue. Ballpark revenue is still important to them, but far less so than TV viewership.

TV ratings and ad revenue are a whole other discussion.

Put it like this, where as before I would watch 140-150 games a year and attend 10-15, last year I only attended 1 game and watched the rest. That's upwards of $1500-2000 the club didn't get from me that they did in years past. My yearly subscription fee for MASN and the ad revenue I personally generate from watching their commercials is a small fraction of that amount of money -- and they were going to get that money one way or the other, but now they won't be getting my money at the ball park, too.

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Who has been eating those Esskay Orioles Beef Franks.

Gotta get a dog at the ball park. Then I need a $9 beer to wash it down.

2 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

TV ratings and ad revenue are a whole other discussion.

Put it like this, where as before I would watch 140-150 games a year and attend 10-15, last year I only attended 1 game and watched the rest. That's upwards of $1500-2000 the club didn't get from me that they did in years past. My yearly subscription fee for MASN and the ad revenue I personally generate from watching their commercials is a small fraction of that amount of money -- and they were going to get that money one way or the other, but now they won't be getting my money at the ball park, too.

Of course they would rather have both, my point is that as long as you are still watching they're making their money. Attendance is already pretty bad, but the game is making more money than ever.

6 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Of course they would rather have both, my point is that as long as you are still watching they're making their money. Attendance is already pretty bad, but the game is making more money than ever.

Well if things keep trending the way they are, they might lose my viewership, too. I love baseball and the Orioles, but I cringe at the thought of $400-500 million dollar contracts for baseball players - seems out of touch to me.

2 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Well if things keep trending the way they are, they might lose my viewership, too. I love baseball and the Orioles, but I cringe at the thought of $400-500 million dollar contracts for baseball players - seems out of touch to me.

My grandfather said this, when salaries hit 100K

My dad said this, when salaries hit 1 million.

The game has survived, but for how much longer?

Granted income has risen significantly, but so has our living costs.

My cable bill is more than my parent's house payment.

Not to mention cell phone bills. :)

I have three cars in my driveway for two drivers.

My mother grew up with one car and 2 drivers, and when she got her license, 3 drivers and their shared that one car.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

My grandfather said this, when salaries hit 100K

My dad said this, when salaries hit 1 million.

The game has survived, but for how much longer?

Granted income has risen significantly, but so has our living costs.

My cable bill is more than my parent's house payment.

Not to mention cell phone bills. :)

I have three cars in my driveway for two drivers.

My mother grew up with one car and 2 drivers, and when she got her license, 3 drivers and their shared that one car.

Have to wonder where it ends? Huge supply of fans willing to spend their money, but how many more price increases are they willing to stomach before they just lose interest? Hard to re-ignite the flame once gone.

I'm just guessing here, but it would seem to me that the price of a ticket and all the associated costs to attend pro sporting events has far outpaced the increase in wages in recent years (last 10-20 years?). Haven't done the research, just going off of gut feeling.

9 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Have to wonder where it ends? Huge supply of fans willing to spend their money, but how many more price increases are they willing to stomach before they just lose interest? Hard to re-ignite the flame once gone.

I'm just guessing here, but it would seem to me that the price of a ticket and all the associated costs to attend pro sporting events has far outpaced the increase in wages in recent years (last 10-20 years?). Haven't done the research, just going off of gut feeling.

1965 = 4,658 / 1.77

1975 = 8,631 / 2.59

1985 = 16,823 / 5.66

1995 = 24,706 / 13.14

2013 = 44,888 / 23.89

Ref:

http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/earlyticketprices.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_Indexed_Monthly_Earnings

57 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

It’s already so far out of touch, I doubt fans care if a player is making $20 mm/yr or $40 mm/yr.    They’re already in a whole other universe.