RZNJ

A LH Starter? Why

There is a lot of talk that the Orioles will sign at least one LH starting pitcher.   The two most talked about are Jason Vargas and Jaime Garcia.    The thing is that both of these guys rely on the changeup which is more effective against the RH hitter in their case.   Vargas has a career OPS of .716 against LH hitters and .746 against RH hitters.    Garcia is .696 against LH hitters and .706 against RH hitters.      I don't care if the O's get either guy but if the reasoning is that it's because they need a LH I think that's a pretty weak reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m left handed and can throw low 80s with some armside run and spin a curveball about 20% of the time I try and throw it at this point. The O’s aren’t THAT desperate but close, a lot of lackluster options.  Means should get a look in Spring Training.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I’m left handed and can throw low 80s with some armside run and spin a curveball about 20% of the time I try and throw it at this point. The O’s aren’t THAT desperate but close, a lot of lackluster options.  Means should get a look in Spring Training.

I am RH and sit 59-62.  Can top out at 65 if I get closer to the plate and actually did throw one curveball that broke in my 30+ years of trying!    😁

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, weams said:

I miss Flanagan.   And loved watching him and Scotty (used to mimic there motions all the as a kid, especially the Mcgregor knee lift with the arms going around). 

I do have to say I am in the get me the best possible pitchers available camp regardless of RH he LH.   I just wish this japense Babe Ruth situation would get resolved so we can get moving on all this! 

44 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I doubt he gets a ST start at all.   Maybe a few relief innings.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, murph said:

I am RH and sit 59-62.  Can top out at 65 if I get closer to the plate and actually did throw one curveball that broke in my 30+ years of trying!    😁

Give that fan a contract!

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Low 80s?  Tip of the cap to you.  That's pretty darn fast.

26 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

LH starters do better in the AL east. 

There you go -- ballpark effects matter. Plus, some teams hit poorly versus LHPs. Juggle the rotation when possible and necessary to match up your lefty starters to face those teams.

I agree that the team should go with its best five or six starters regardless of which hand they throw with. But it would be beneficial if one or two or their top five or six starters is/are lefties.

57 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Low 80s?  Tip of the cap to you.  That's pretty darn fast.

I’m only 30 and I was a decent pitcher in HS, decent stuff, bad control type. Might have been able to pitch in college if I spent more time with baseball (I rarely touched the ball in the offseason), wrestling was my best sport though and I ended up doing that in college.

• Upvote 1