RZNJ

A LH Starter? Why

18 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I’m left handed and can throw low 80s with some armside run and spin a curveball about 20% of the time I try and throw it at this point. The O’s aren’t THAT desperate but close, a lot of lackluster options.  Means should get a look in Spring Training.

Stop trying to live through Means. B|  Instead of being the next Means, be the first phillyOs119 - like your parents named you.  Own that lefty 82 MPHer with sidearm run.  

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2017 at 11:05 PM, Beef Supreme said:

There you go -- ballpark effects matter. Plus, some teams hit poorly versus LHPs. Juggle the rotation when possible and necessary to match up your lefty starters to face those teams.

I agree that the team should go with its best five or six starters regardless of which hand they throw with. But it would be beneficial if one or two or their top five or six starters is/are lefties.

Sounds good in theory.   I certainly do it with my Stratomatic team all the time.

But does Buck, or most major league managers, make common practice of this?   I'm not talking in a tight pennant race in the last two weeks, but in the bulk of the season.    How often do the Orioles, or any other team, go "out of rotation" to put a starter up against a team he might do better against?  

On 11/20/2017 at 5:42 PM, RZNJ said:

There is a lot of talk that the Orioles will sign at least one LH starting pitcher. The two most talked about are Jason Vargas and Jaime Garcia. The thing is that both of these guys rely on the change-up, which is more effective against the RH hitter in their case. Vargas has a career OPS of .716 against LH hitters, and .746 against RH hitters. Garcia is .696 against LH hitters, and .706 against RH hitters. I don't care if the Orioles get either guy, but if the reasoning is that it's because they need a LH starting pitcher, I think that's a pretty weak reason.

On 11/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'd love to have good starters.

They can throw with their feet for all I care.

o

I agree completely.

If the Orioles already had pretty good starting pitching and they were trying to upgrade from pretty good to really good, then they might have the luxury of toying with the idea of preferring a left-hander over a right-hander.

They don't have pretty good starting pitching. They have horrible starting pitching. They need to acquire (and insert into the rotation) the best starting pitcher(s) that they possibly can, regardless of which hand that they pitch with.

o

Red Sox placed former prospect, LHP Henry Owens on outright waivers.

Has trouble with control, walked almost as many hitters as innings pitched between AA and AAA.

• Upvote 1

DQZvOqZWsAALnvf.jpgOutright waivers

Owens, 25, once ranked among the game’s top 50 overall prospects in the eyes of Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus and MLB.com, but his stock has fallen since last landing on one of those lists, prior to the 2015 campaign. The left-hander has seen time in a pair of big league seasons, tossing 85 innings for the BoSox from 2015-16 but struggling to the tune of a 5.19 ERA with 7.5 K/9 against 4.7 BB/9.

Early in his pro career, Owens posted enormous strikeout rates, but that trait has diminished as he’s reached the upper minors and the Major Leagues. Moreover, his longstanding issue with walks has become increasingly magnified against more advanced hitters. That’s never been truer than it was in 2017, as Owens split the year between Double-A Portand and Triple-A Pawtucket and walked a staggering 115 batters in 126 innings (8.2 BB/9). Owens also hit 17 batters and uncorked 17 wild pitches in those 126 innings — further exemplifying his struggles to locate the ball.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/red-sox-place-henry-owens-outright-waivers.html

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Red Sox placed former prospect, LHP Henry Owens on outright waivers.

Has trouble with control, walked almost as many hitters as innings pitched between AA and AAA.

Didn’t this guy shut us down in the same September series that Rich Hill did?  

This is the type of guy DD picks up. Former top pick. Former top prospect. He’s definitely worth a flyer and a 40 man spot. He’s likely an upgrade over Chris Lee and Jaycob Brugman. Just Owens is out of options. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=owens-002hen

This guy has a better pedigree of anyone in our upper minors. 25. 367 IP in AAA at a 3.53 ERA. 

I don’t see how we can’t lick him up. Would much rather have him than take somebody in the Rule 5 draft. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Didn’t this guy shut us down in the same September series that Rich Hill did?  

This is the type of guy DD picks up. Former top pick. Former top prospect. He’s definitely worth a flyer and a 40 man spot. He’s likely an upgrade over Chris Lee and Jaycob Brugman. Just Owens is out of options. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=owens-002hen

This guy has a better pedigree of anyone in our upper minors. 25. 367 IP in AAA at a 3.53 ERA. 

I don’t see how we can’t lick him up. Would much rather have him than take somebody in the Rule 5 draft. 

He beat the Orioles 10-1 in September of ‘15. He went 7.2 IP, gave up 6 hits, struck out 4 and walked 0.

Here is a scouting report on Owens.  He is out of options but has never been outrighted.

Assets At 6-6, 220 pounds, he is all arms and legs (which can really deceive batters). His best pitch is a dominant changeup that he uses to strike plenty of batters out. Also owns plenty of pitching savvy and sets up batters very well.
Flaws Does not have a consistently good fastball, while his breaking pitches are also works in progress at this point. That is not good enough for Major League Baseball, so he needs more refinement of his pitches. Walks are an issue.
Career potential Talented, lanky left-hander with some upside.

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

He beat the Orioles 10-1 in September of ‘15. He went 7.2 IP, gave up 6 hits, struck out 4 and walked 0.

Sign him. 

It would appear that Jason Vargas is the O's #1 target on the free agent market.   Dan wants a lefty in the rotation bad.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here is a scouting report on Owens.  He is out of options but has never been outrighted.

Assets At 6-6, 220 pounds, he is all arms and legs (which can really deceive batters). His best pitch is a dominant changeup that he uses to strike plenty of batters out. Also owns plenty of pitching savvy and sets up batters very well.
Flaws Does not have a consistently good fastball, while his breaking pitches are also works in progress at this point. That is not good enough for Major League Baseball, so he needs more refinement of his pitches. Walks are an issue.
Career potential Talented, lanky left-hander with some upside.

I know the negatives, but the guy is   only 25 years old. Vargas had a horrible second half and will be 35 when the season starts.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Sign him. 

I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but I would. My response was only to confirm that he had in fact beat the Orioles. Vargas beat them in the ALCS.

My reason for signing him in favor of Vargas would be his pedigree. Also, Vargas has a significant injury history and is 35 next season without the upside of Owens. 

My hesitation would be the Orioles’ ability to solve his problems. However, there is precedent for them simplifying a guy’s delivery leading to positive results. 

Sign one, the other, or both and the O's still finish in last place.

The damage DD has done in the past five years can't be fixed in a single off season