weams

Winter Meetings 2017

I'm just confused how the Britton situation will "resolve itself" without him being traded and then we aren't going to trade Brach so it just makes no sense to me. 

25 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

This has got to be the worst logic I've ever heard.  

A little odd, but we are talking about relief pitchers. i have no issue holding on to one or the other until the deadline if the offer isnt right.

Most buyers would give up more for half a season of a healthy, productive Bullpen arm than a full season of the same player because of how volatile they can be.

In general, I could see most teams saying, "Lets wait until the deadline to see A) If we're contending, B) Do we need RP, and C) Who is productive/healthy..."

18 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Of course, but we know that won't happen.  Just like we know they will lose Manny for a pick after winning 75 games this year. 

I would be so irate if this happened.  I feel like the Orioles wouldn't see any money from me for a long time.  I would hope yo see a competitive product in the next 3 years but I would not hold up much hope.

That said, that is par for the course and so far the winter meetings have matched past results, lots of talk, little action, and probably a rule 5 pick.

4 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I would be so irate if this happened.  I feel like the Orioles wouldn't see any money from me for a long time.  I would hope yo see a competitive product in the next 3 years but I would not hold up much hope.

That said, that is par for the course and so far the winter meetings have matched past results, lots of talk, little action, and probably a rule 5 pick.

If/when the Orioles leave the WM tomorrow with a brand new Rule 5 pick and nothing else, and pat themselves on the back for it, it will be SO ORIOLES.

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Buck loves O'Day. If he is healthy, he can be The Closer until someone else emerges. If we can get value for Brach and Britton we should take it.

Givens HAS emerged.

16 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'm just confused how the Britton situation will "resolve itself" without him being traded and then we aren't going to trade Brach so it just makes no sense to me. 

If we don't trade him, that's a resolution.   If the Dodgers and other teams looking for a closer fill their need elsewhere, that's a resolution.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Givens HAS emerged.

Yeah but O'day at closer may save them money in the future.  You put him at closer he starts getting the Britton arbitration numbers compared to Brach arbitration numbers. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If we don't trade him, that's a resolution.   If the Dodgers and other teams looking for a closer fill their need elsewhere, that's a resolution.

Yes, it seems fairly simple.  The Orioles would prefer to keep Brach and trade Britton, as they prefer Brach's contract and health.  Unfortunately, all the other clubs think the same thing and so the offers for Britton aren't what DD wants/needs.  Trading Brach is the last resort in this scenario.

Point #2 is equally obvious --  Angelos has not authorized any trading of the MLB roster at this point.

DD is currently not permitted to trade both Brach and Britton & despite the Manny rigmarole of the last 36 hours, it seems clear that DD does not have approval to make that trade either

3 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Yes, it seems fairly simple.  The Orioles would prefer to keep Brach and trade Britton, as they prefer Brach's contract and health.  Unfortunately, all the other clubs think the same thing and so the offers for Britton aren't what DD wants/needs.  Trading Brach is the last resort in this scenario.

Point #2 is equally obvious --  Angelos has not authorized any trading of the MLB roster at this point.

DD is currently not permitted to trade both Brach and Britton & despite the Manny rigmarole of the last 36 hours, it seems clear that DD does not have approval to make that trade either

I think "it seems clear" is a stretch.   We have no ideas what has been discussed or what offers have been made.    Maybe DD doesn't have approval to trade Britton, maybe he does.   It's guesswork, nothing is clear.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Makes too much sense, but Buck needs an identifiable closer like Linus needs his security blanket.  That they're willing to trade one of them makes in a glass half full situation IMO.

We’ve had an excellent bullpen the last six years doing things Buck’s way.    The bullpen guys all swear by the way he handles them.    I’m not about to second guess or criticize his bullpen management.   

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

If your only trading 1 I believe Britton is more valuable. Still think you can trade Brit to the Rockies, Get 3B Welker #4, RP  Almonte #10, and LP Sam Howard.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah even when they try to make smart decisions they still manage to put unnecessary restraints on themselves

To me thats the biggest problem with this team, the unnecessary restraints. 

Whether it's avoiding Latin America, always carrying a Rule V guy, the waiting for the market to "percolate", it just seems like the front office does all it can to handcuff itself and make things as difficult as possible.