Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
murph

Maryland at Illinois

Recommended Posts

I think the Maryland ADs have not very good for some time now. They seem to be happy with there money sports just wallowing in mediocrity. Saying that, I'm not well enough versed in potential basketball coaches that would be better than Turgeon. I just think he's had his chance and his short comings are obvious and will keep this team in the same mediocrity it's been since he's been here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we crushed Ohio tonight. For a little perspective, last time Ohio played the Terps, they beat Gary's squad. We were pretty dreadful in Gary's last half decade here.

Bruno Fernando also hurt his ankle. Apparently just a strain, hopefully doesn't linger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the Maryland ADs have not very good for some time now. They seem to be happy with there money sports just wallowing in mediocrity. Saying that, I'm not well enough versed in potential basketball coaches that would be better than Turgeon. I just think he's had his chance and his short comings are obvious and will keep this team in the same mediocrity it's been since he's been here.

I don't think your expectations are reasonable, and I'm not a huge Turgeon fan.  Just look at the last 3 seasons: 

2014-15: 2nd in the Big Ten at 14-4 and Turgeon was named Big Ten COY.

2015-16: 3rd in the Big Ten at 12-6, disappointing considering the class of Diamond Stone wasn't as good as billed, but still a good team.

2016-17: tied for 2nd in the Big Ten at 12-6.

Obviously we want better and he's no Gary Williams at this point, but these were consistently good teams.  They've consistently recruited well, and that shows no sign of changing.  Unless there's someone specific that's out there that we know will likely do better - and I doubt there is - I think it's premature to make a change at coach.  He's earned at least this season and next season, imo - especially with another good recruiting class set.        

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I don't think your expectations are reasonable, and I'm not a huge Turgeon fan.  Just look at the last 3 seasons: 

2014-15: 2nd in the Big Ten at 14-4 and Turgeon was named Big Ten COY.

2015-16: 3rd in the Big Ten at 12-6, disappointing considering the class of Diamond Stone wasn't as good as billed, but still a good team.

2016-17: tied for 2nd in the Big Ten at 12-6.

Obviously we want better and he's no Gary Williams at this point, but these were consistently good teams.  They've consistently recruited well, and that shows no sign of changing.  Unless there's someone specific that's out there that we know will likely do better - and I doubt there is - I think it's premature to make a change at coach.  He's earned at least this season and next season, imo - especially with another good recruiting class set.        

 

   

And often did this team make it into the top 25? At the end of the day he has no championships, and only one sweet 16 in his six seasons here. Maybe you are happy with being a decent Big 10 team that loses every time they play a decent team, but I do expect more. If that makes me unreasonable in your estimation then I guess we just have different expectation levels for this program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Finisher said:

Well, we crushed Ohio tonight. For a little perspective, last time Ohio played the Terps, they beat Gary's squad. We were pretty dreadful in Gary's last half decade here.

Bruno Fernando also hurt his ankle. Apparently just a strain, hopefully doesn't linger.

Definitely can't afford t lose Bruno for any period of time, especially once the Big-10 games restart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

And often did this team make it into the top 25? At the end of the day he has no championships, and only one sweet 16 in his six seasons here. Maybe you are happy with being a decent Big 10 team that loses every time they play a decent team, but I do expect more. If that makes me unreasonable in your estimation then I guess we just have different expectation levels for this program.

I guarantee you I want to win championships every bit as much as you, and if I thought all it took would be to switch coaches, I'd be all for it, but I'm trying to be realistic.  This ain't the NCAA we group up with - at least I grew up with Lefty.  There's a lot more competition with now 351 schools in 32 Division I basketball conferences competing for a lot more dollars.  Firing Turgeon now when he's done well by reasonable standards would likely damage MD's rep and certainly wouldn't encourage top coaches to want to coach here.  He's got an exciting young team, and the program is looking good for the short and long terms.          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I guarantee you I want to win championships every bit as much as you, and if I thought all it took would be to switch coaches, I'd be all for it, but I'm trying to be realistic.  This ain't the NCAA we group up with - at least I grew up with Lefty.  There's a lot more competition with now 351 schools in 32 Division I basketball conferences competing for a lot more dollars.  Firing Turgeon now when he's done well by reasonable standards would likely damage MD's rep and certainly wouldn't encourage top coaches to want to coach here.  He's got an exciting young team, and the program is looking good for the short and long terms.          

All he has is his recruiting and I wonder how long that will last when he isn't going deep in the tourney and his players aren't doing anything in the NBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

All he has is his recruiting and I wonder how long that will last when he isn't going deep in the tourney and his players aren't doing anything in the NBA.

Have you seen any sign of the recruiting drying up even in the slightest?  Look at the key players on this team - all the key guys being freshmen and sophomores.  They've already got  a great start on next year's recruiting class.  Like I said, he's clearly earned this year and next.  Let's at least wait to see how the team does before wearing out the Debbie Downer act.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Rumors and News






×