Sign in to follow this  
eddie83

Ravens and playoff contenders

I know most sites have the Ravens having very good odds of making it and there are playoff machines but I wanted to point out a couple of things I think are true. 

-If Ravens get to 9-6 prior to Cincy game (2-1 next 3), they may already have playoffs wrapped up prior to Week 17 vs Cincy.

-Cincy is eliminated. Ravens can’t lose a tiebreaker vs Cincy. So if Ravens go 2-1 the next 3, Cincy would be playing for pride last game. Last nights loss finished them and I know they still go to Minnesota. 

- If Oakland beats KC this week Ravens can’t lose a tiebreaker to any AFC West team at 9-7. Also if KC beats LAC the week after would knock off LAC. Ravens would win common opponents tiebreaker in first scenario and win Conference tiebreaker in 2nd. 

-There is a scenario where the Ravens can be beat out on a tiebreaker but not possible if either of the 2 above happen. 

-If Buffalo loses one of next 2 and Ravens beat Indy. In that case Buffalo can’t catch the Ravens due to Ravens better common opponent tiebreaker. If Bills win next two and lose to NE I believe they will still be alive heading into Week 17 but not 100% sure. 

One more note. As long as either Jax or Tennessee are within one game of another that final game will be for the division title. That means the Ravens could be playing a team that fought hard in the last week while the Ravens had in essence a bye week. 

I have confused myself saying all this but I was trying to bring some clarity to the situation......

Good info Eddie.  I've been very down on Harbaugh and the coaching staff but they've gotten the Ravens playing well at the right time.  They are in prime position to make a run.  I don't think they will get very far, but they'll put a scare into someone.   Too bad Jimmy got hurt.  

2 hours ago, SouthRider said:

Good info Eddie.  I've been very down on Harbaugh and the coaching staff but they've gotten the Ravens playing well at the right time.  They are in prime position to make a run.  I don't think they will get very far, but they'll put a scare into someone.   Too bad Jimmy got hurt.  

My interest level in the NFL is way down from years ago. That said it is December and as flawed as the Ravens are, playing meaningful games and getting into the playoffs is better than the alternative. 

4 hours ago, SouthRider said:

Jimmy is also suspended for PED's. AFC west will be up for grabs, but all the teams play each other one more time. Bills will have to play New England again, effectively killing their chances. AFC South will be decided in Nashville on the last game of the year with whoever wins that game. 

While disappointing on the PEDs revelation with Smith doesn't he get to serve that suspension while he is injured?  So, injured or not he would have been inactive. 

15 hours ago, SouthRider said:

While disappointing on the PEDs revelation with Smith doesn't he get to serve that suspension while he is injured?  So, injured or not he would have been inactive. 

Correct.  So no matter what he would've missed these last 4 games.  At least now the suspension will be over after this season.

Bills and Chiefs won. Opposite of what would have helped the most. 

Even if Ravens lose tonight, Ravens still control own destiny.  

That Buffalo outcome sucks.  I was hoping for the tie which is as good as a loss.  Watch out for Chargers.  I'm not feeling as confident as I was going into this weekend.  Of course a win tonight would change all that.

23 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

That Buffalo outcome sucks.  I was hoping for the tie which is as good as a loss.  Watch out for Chargers.  I'm not feeling as confident as I was going into this weekend.  Of course a win tonight would change all that.

Chargers could win division though. Be great if KC beats them next week. If Ravens get to 10-6 they are a lock. I was hoping 9-6 would clinch it before Week 17. Have to see what happens. If LAC run the table and Ravens lose tonight and wind up at 9-7 I think Chiefs get tiebreaker based on better strength of victory. Of course that means KC wins last 2.  

Still trying to get over that. Over with now but that hurts, plus I got no sleep. 

What it means. 

-Ravens still control own destiny. 10-6 clinches playoff berth. 

-Odds are now greater Ravens will have to win out or at least go into Week 17 thinking they have to win  

-Ravens strength of victory tiebreaker is weak, still possible to better than Buffalo but not likely. No chance vs KC. That said conference and common opponents come first. 

-First tonight if Miami loses they should be done at 8-8 at best. Believe it or not but if they win out they still have chance if multiple teams tie at 9-7. 

Next Week

-If KC beats LAC that means Ravens can’t lose a tiebreaker to a West team at 9-7. Right now Ravens are vs KC, 3-2 vs common opponents with KC being 2-2 and still hosting Miami. At 9-7 KC would win a tiebreaker vs Ravens as long as they beat Miami. If KC wins though LAC have 6 conference losses. As hot as Chargers are if they lose this game big trouble for them, pretty much done unless both Baltimore and Buffalo both fall to 8-8. 

-Right now Ravens advantage over Buffalo is better record vs common opponents. Ravens are 3-0 with games vs Indy and Cincy left. Bills are 2-1 with 2 games left vs Miami. Next week Buffalo hosts Miami. Ravens would beat out Buffalo at 9-7 if one of Buffalo’s losses is to Miami. 

- I believe only scenario for Ravens to clinch playoff berth prior to Week 17 is to win next 2 games and Buffalo loses to Miami next week plus LAC loses one of next 2 or if KC loses to Miami in Week 16.