Roll Tide

Os requesting offers on Machado

3 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Are the Orioles brass brain dead? Manny will not sign here. Especially now that he was on the trading block.

I doubt the fact that the O’s tested his market value would offend Manny.   If there’s a number he’d have signed for without testing the market, I think he’d still sign for that.    But it looks like we’re not interested in paying it.   

44 minutes ago, Nite said:

So with the Longoria trade taking away a 3b possiblity, do others step up their offers? Also with what the Rays got back, does that show what the price tag is? So many little effects can come from this.

Side note it might make bringing Tillman back easier since his kryptonite is gone.

I'm not sure if there's a barring on Manny in the Longo deal, maybe a little on the team side. I don't think the return is indicative of what Manny should fetch. Yes, Longo has several more years of affordable control. That's great, but he's not the same player as Manny. The 2013 version of Longoria is closer. He had a down year last year, but going into his age 32 season, that could be the start of a decline. Manny had a down year, too, but still ended up with 33 jacks and on OPS nearly 50 points higher than Longoria. Machado also ended strong and is going into his age 25 season. It's a lot more likely Manny has a bounce back season than Longoria does. They're essentially the same player just with Manny where Longo was seven years ago.

A strained forearm, knee surgery, and torn achilles all within a year.  Plus, Scott Boras as his agent.  Less than 50/50 that Britton gets back to pre 2017 form.  Not likely to happen this yeay even if he does come back.  I would release him and put that money towards something else.   

14 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

Absolutely he needs to be traded! I don't own the team, and don't have to pay the bills.The Orioles moved to Baltimore the year I was born, and I have been a fan all my life. But if we let Manny stay, and all we get is a draft pick, I just don't know whether I can be a fan of this organization anymore.

100% agreed. The orioles are already behind the Skins and Wizards on priorities of fandom. It hurts to have to compete with the Yanks and Sox every year, and with terrible ownership rearing its head again... I might be out.

Im 31, so im getting more deliberate with my free time in my life as I am moving forward with my personal and professional life. The Orioles just arent making a convincing argument to get my attention/money. 

i was holding out hope that we could reload, but it appears we may just head into a slow demise for about 2 years... i dont have the time or energy for it.

Dealing Manny for a good haul along with Brach and Britton at the deadline could of really revived this team... But now....

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

MM is an Oriole in 2018. 

Zach Britton is hurt

And Brach isn't going to be traded

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I've heard the 2018 Orioles marketing department has already been asked to create the "Farewell, Manny!" marketing theme for next season...  Sort of an anti-"You Gotta Believe" twist ("Believe in Nothing!"), one which requires of its fans a very modern embrace of a nihilistic cynicism, forking over their quid in order to be part of an extreme, "once in a lifetime" ride into the abyss of irrelevance...  If they can't recoup actual players for Manny, the Os sure as hell are going to try and recoup as much cash as they can!!!  

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

At this point I'm just waiting for them to come out and say Manny Machado will be with the Orioles on Opening Day 2018.  

Which will make a whole lotta Orioles fans outside the Orioles Hangout echo chamber very happy indeed.  

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Which will make a whole lotta Orioles fans outside the Orioles Hangout echo chamber very happy indeed.  

Until the end of May when the team is already out of the race.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Until the end of May when the team is already out of the race.

I understand your point, and that reflects the way I would feel if Manny is kept.  However I think that many if not most fans have a much simpler and more direct relationship with the team.  If they're going to come to the ballpark with the family and drop a couple of hundred bucks, they want to feel they have a fighting chance to see the team win that day.  Having Manny at third helps with that.  I knew by the time that I was 12 that I was privileged to be able to watch Brooks play from the best seats in the house ($3.00!) and I have no doubt that many Orioles fans feel the same way about Manny.  I think the FO has a responsibility to those fans as well as to those of us who are more sophisticated - maybe to a fault.

2 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

100% agreed. The orioles are already behind the Skins and Wizards on priorities of fandom. It hurts to have to compete with the Yanks and Sox every year, and with terrible ownership rearing its head again... I might be out.

Im 31, so im getting more deliberate with my free time in my life as I am moving forward with my personal and professional life. The Orioles just arent making a convincing argument to get my attention/money. 

i was holding out hope that we could reload, but it appears we may just head into a slow demise for about 2 years... i dont have the time or energy for it.

Dealing Manny for a good haul along with Brach and Britton at the deadline could of really revived this team... But now....

Hang in there...it will come back around.   When I was 31, the Orioles lost 21 straight games to open the season and finished 54-107...but, hey, here I am.    Hang in and good things will come around.  

44 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

At this point I'm just waiting for them to come out and say Manny Machado will be with the Orioles on Opening Day 2018.  

A number of us said that long before this particular PR leak campaign began.   And he will be with us at season's end 2018, imho.   But, you know what, Manny can play third in my book.   You want to go be on the big stage, then go let them let you play short.   Tim Beckham gets the first, second, third and fourth shot at being the regular everyday SS in my book.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I understand your point, and that reflects the way I would feel if Manny is kept.  However I think that many if not most fans have a much simpler and more direct relationship with the team.  If they're going to come to the ballpark with the family and drop a couple of hundred bucks, they want to feel they have a fighting chance that the team will win that day.  Having Manny at third helps that.  I knew by the time that I was 12 that I was privileged to be able to watch Brooks play from the best seats in the house ($3.00!) and I have no doubt that many Orioles fans feel the same way about Manny.  I think the FO has a responsibility to those fans as well as to those of us who are more sophisticated - maybe to a fault.

But keeping Manny might help the team win games in 2018 but trading Manny will help the team win games in 2019 and beyond.  I think ownership has a responsibility to look long term and try and keep a winning product on the field as often as possible.

That is also the first time I've been called too sophisticated.

43 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I think it will be tomorrow.  Otherwise, Manny will play third base.