Roll Tide

Os requesting offers on Machado

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Since the Machado grade isn’t happening can DD at least sign a SP. Right now our rotation is Bundy, Gausman, Ynoa, Asher, Cortes. 

You forgot about Mesa.  We're 6 deep.    Who would have thunk it?   We should have drafted more rule 5 guys!

8 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Why should Manny be disgruntled? He'll be playing under familiar circumstances as he approaches his big pay day. Should be nothing to it.

I for one wouldn’t want to be on a last place team going into a contract year. He’s got to focus on big numbers and staying healthy.  Hard to do when you’re losing games by 5-6 runs because you have AA pitching. Familiar yes. In the same way a tumor on your arse is familiar. 

22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Me too and I haven't either. I really hope more info starts to leak out if the trade talks are really dead. It'd be a lot easier to pass judgement on the team if we knew what was offered...

One would have to understand how hard DD worked to make a trade.  

I don't think DD wanted to deal Britton last season and brought a paltry offer to PA and they squashed it.  Maybe DD pushed the Astros as hard as he could and was only able to secure an offer that excluded the top 7 or so Astros prospects and maybe he wasn't trying that hard to make a deal because he wanted all hands on deck to keep the ML team intact.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Since the Machado grade isn’t happening can DD at least sign a SP. Right now our rotation is Bundy, Gausman, Ynoa, Asher, Cortes. 

That may be good enough to really tank and blow it up at the deadline, instead of getting marginally better and being 6 games out of a second wild card and deciding to be pretend buyers. 

13 minutes ago, 24fps said:

That doesn't seem to have stopped too many posters.

Well, not sure about anyone else, but I'm less concerned about what deals they turned down now and more concerned that they're in this position in the first place.

December 2016 was the time to have this situation played out, not December 2017.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You forgot about Mesa.  We're 6 deep.    Who would have thunk it?   We should have drafted more rule 5 guys!

Ynoa, Mesa, Cortes, and Asher aren’t guys a competitive team would start in their rotation.

That said, if 2018 is a lost year, throw all the starter candidates out there and perhaps they’ll be rewarded with the next Jordan Montgomery.  Except Asher, I think the Orioles know what he is already.

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I don't think DD wanted to deal Britton last season and brought a paltry offer to PA and they squashed it.  Maybe DD pushed the Astros as hard as he could and was only able to secure an offer that excluded the top 7 or so Astros prospects and maybe he wasn't trying that hard to make a deal because he wanted all hands on deck to keep the ML team intact.

Buck didn’t want to sell anyone at the deadline, he pretty much said it publicly.  The lack of offer for Britton was because of his injuries, no one wanted to give up the farm for a guy with TJS red flags who had missed time and wasn’t as effective when he pitched.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I've had some problems with Duquette but you are implying that he purposely got a bad package so the owner wouldn't approve it.    I have a hard time with that one.  In fact that paltry package might not have been so bad for a pitcher who was very questionable health wise at the time and who hadn't performed like the 2016 Britton at any time in 2017.    The fans knew it wasn't the same guy.    So did every team in baseball.    There was always hope that he'd turn it around but there were never those 3-4 dominant appearances in a row.    Expecting something more than a paltry package was unfair.    I believe he did the best he could.   

• Upvote 1

Well. Thats it for me guys. Im going to enjoy the holidays and Football for the next month and then basketball playoffs into spring. I live in DC, so ill probably pop into some Nats games for some beers and nice weather... but done with O's. I still remember how exciting the Bedard trade was and how it was bad that we sucked, but finally felt we were building something real. 2012 - 2016 was a good run.

Joined this board 10 years ago this last June, so it seems about the right time to leave. 

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New year...

Oh yeah... #@$% you Peter Angelos

Bye Folks

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So the Cubs offer was Montgomery , Almora Jr , and Russell. Their top minor league pitchers all grade around a 50 so good but not great. You'd think they wouldn't let a pitching prospect hold up what seems to be a pretty good deal. Azolay grades out around 50 and pitched 114 innings between A+ and AA at 3.00 ERA. He's the closest if their top 5 pitching prospects.

If the Cubs added him would you do the deal? Seems like the best they could do without subtracting from the MLB roster for another SP.

Would you agree to that deal?

I can't say I'm surprised that no deal was made, but I guess there is still time for it to happen before the season.

It's impossible to know what the FO is thinking or going to do, but if the plan involves moving Manny to SS to make him happy and to trade prospects for mediocre SP like has been done in the past, then this franchise is doomed for as long as Angelos owns it, because nothing will ever change. It seems like year after year it's the same thing, absolutely no vision for the future.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So the Cubs offer was Montgomery , Almora Jr , and Russell. Their top minor league pitchers all grade around a 50 so good but not great. You'd think they wouldn't let a pitching prospect hold up what seems to be a pretty good deal. Azolay grades out around 50 and pitched 114 innings between A+ and AA at 3.00 ERA. He's the closest if their top 5 pitching prospects.

If the Cubs added him would you do the deal? Seems like the best they could do without subtracting from the MLB roster for another SP.

Who says?   Those were the names discussed.    If that was an offer, please give the link.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Better than a draft pick.