NCRaven

Stanton to the Yankees

6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Is it official? 

This is all I've seen

I don't think so, but no need for the doom and gloom. I think Stanton is worth about what he is being paid and the Yankees are going to give up value to acquire him.  Sure it makes their line-up scary but I'm not sure it's a win for them long term.

Hey maybe it'll be enough to push the Orioles to sell short term assets, which is the smart move anyway.

48 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don't think so, but no need for the doom and gloom. I think Stanton is worth about what he is being paid and the Yankees are going to give up value to acquire him.  Sure it makes their line-up scary but I'm not sure it's a win for them long term.

Hey maybe it'll be enough to push the Orioles to sell short term assets, which is the smart move anyway.

Sadly, Stanton's no-trade clause gives him so much power that someone (be it the Yankees or Dodgers or someone else) are going to get him for far less than he's worth, asset wise.

Even under new ownership, the Marlins remain an absolute disaster for Major League Baseball.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Will they be able to acquire him and get under the luxury tax threshold?

Not without offloading salary I believe.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Will they be able to acquire him and get under the luxury tax threshold?

The Yankees are talking about including Castro and/or Headley in the trade.  Ellsbury is unlikely due to his no trade clause.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/yankees-now-in-play-in-talks-for-giancarlo-stanton.html

29 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

Won't they still have money for Manny or Harper? And now they don't need a right fielder, just a third baseman 

True, but I'd think they might prefer Harper only because he is a left handed bat. But not sure if he could play CF.