backwardsk

So What is the Plan for Starting Pitching?

The Orioles need to get with the program. Their window of opportunity for the post season is in the rear view mirror. It's time to tear it down and rebuild. Every baseball expert I read says the same thing.

The problem is Angelos thinks this group still has a chance if we pick up some more average pitchers. Sorry but he's wrong.

Brach, Britton and Machado should have been traded last year. I didn't like the O'day signing. Hated the Davis deal. We've made blunder after blunder while the Yankees are stockpiling talent.

Edited by gtman55

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Apparently, part of the plan is trying to convert Dariel Alvarez.  

That’s been the plan for Álvarez since last spring, since they’ve concluded he’s not a major league hitter but may have the arm to make it as a pitcher.   But nobody thinks he’s a major league pitcher in 2018.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s been the plan for Álvarez since last spring, since they’ve concluded he’s not a major league hitter but may have the arm to make it as a pitcher.   

I don't necessarily hate the move, it's just...when this team does so many things wrong, it's hard to look at that and take them seriously.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't necessarily hate the move, it's just...when this team does so many things wrong, it's hard to look at that and take them seriously.

It’s a long shot at best.   Worked for Givens, I guess.    I’d say his odds of making the majors as a pitcher are under 10%.

Just now, Frobby said:

It’s a long shot at best.   Worked for Givens, I guess.    I’d say his odds of making the majors as a pitcher are under 10%.

Agreed.

IIRC, Givens did have pitching experience in high school.  Not like he was a complete stranger to it.  Not sure about Alvarez.

Anyway, headed into New Years and there's still big holes and question marks in the rotation.  

I see that MLBTR just changed their prediction for Lynn’s contract to 4/60 million. That’s only 8 million more than we gave Ubaldo. He did have TJ surgery in 2016, so the physical might be a hold up, but I think shoulders have been the bigger issue with PA. 

The slow market is working in our favor. Not that I’m sure that DD is going to do something big, just that we’re not at the point of desperation already. I guess it’s going to be a busy January. 

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.

IIRC, Givens did have pitching experience in high school.  Not like he was a complete stranger to it.  Not sure about Alvarez.

Anyway, headed into New Years and there's still big holes and question marks in the rotation.  

Alvarez pitched in Cuba, 32.1 IP to an ERA of 3.62 sprinkled over 3 seasons at ages 17-20.    You must have been taking an OH hiatus when the O’s announced they were converting him to a pitcher last spring; there was discussion of his pitching experience and stats, what pitches he threw, etc.   Here’s a thread on it (there were several): 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

Great Scott! The Os have reached the point of converting position players to pitching. You know things are desperate. What is Conseco doing these days?

Hey, it worked with Givens.  Remember he was drafted as a SS and played in the O's system at SS for 3 seasons before being converted.  Dariel Alvarez is obviously a long shot but he has thrown in the upper 90s and he didn't look like he was going to hit enough to be more than a AAA depth piece in the OF.

Alvarez's conversion has nothing to do with the search for starting pitching, he'll be in the minors when he's healthy enough to pitch and he'll most likely be a reliever if he does thrive in the new role.

6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Rockies just signed Wade Davis for 17 million a year. 

Gotta think that Brach making 5 million can get you a good starting pitcher prospect

Fixed it for ya.  While Brach has been nearly as good as Davis the last two seasons, Davis offers an upside that Brach doesn't really have.  I also think that's an overpay for Wade Davis.