Sign in to follow this  
Redskins Rick

Sex abuse of USA female athletes

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/22046031/michigan-state-university-doctor-larry-nassar-surrounded-enablers-abused-athletes-espn

Understanding how Nassar gained unfettered access to young girls and young women over the course of a quarter-century -- despite repeated warning signs -- means confronting an uncomfortable truth:

Amazing how this can happen, and go on as long as it did.

Sorry, if this is the wrong location to post, wasnt sure where to post it.

MODS, feel free to move as needed.

54 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

welp-dog.jpg

I didn’t know Wilford Brimley had a dog.   

Back on topic, what this guy did is a disgrace.    I haven’t followed this closely enough to know whether the USOC should have spotted this problem before it came to light.    

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t know Wilford Brimley had a dog.   

Back on topic, what this guy did is a disgrace.    I haven’t followed this closely enough to know whether the USOC should have spotted this problem before it came to light.    

You would have thought a parent would have caught on.

Seriously, doctors do not go into closed rooms/areas for one on one with minor children. Its pretty simple Doctorcare 101.

The whole system sucked, not just the one doctor involved, he had multiple people covering up for him, from the Dean on down.

Not only is the the guy a disgrace but we should not absolve all of those around him that may have looked the other way or in some other way enabled this behavior for so long - according to the article there many be many of these enablers  

He didn't gain that access alone. Nassar was surrounded by a collection of adults who enabled his predatory behavior -- a group that included coaches of club, collegiate and elite-level gymnasts, the USA Gymnastics organization, medical professionals, administrators and coaches at Michigan State University, and gymnasts' parents, whom he groomed just as effectively as those he violated.

Once Nassar is locked away for good, there's a real risk that this story starts to fade.  I pray that everyone responsible actually goes to trial and there's a ton of publicity and the process goes on for years.  I can easily see plea deals cut in the interest of expediency and that would be tragic IMO.  Enabling should have consequences that everyone can learn from.

Edited by 24fps