now

Rule 5 r-e-s-p-e-c-t

To be fair, Araujo has helped his chances by showing a good changeup that he didn’t have last year. Although I’m concerned about him until I see him break off his plus breaking ball, which hasn’t happened in the two televised outings.

Mesa has hurt his chances because his velocity is reportedly way down and when I saw him, his mechanics were all over the place but there is still plenty of time.

Cortes, I don’t know because I haven’t seen any of his outings.

I like the way Nestor Cortes bounced back today. He didn’t get handed a start. He came out the pen today and went 3.1 IP of one hit ball, 4ks and 2 BBs. It wasn’t the Yankees everdyay lineup but I keep hearing how loaded they are. 

I still think Cortes comes North in the TJ Macfarland role. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like the way Nestor Cortes bounced back today. He didn’t get handed a start. He came out the pen today and went 3.1 IP of one hit ball, 4ks and 2 BBs. It wasn’t the Yankees everdyay lineup but I keep hearing how loaded they are. 

I still think Cortes comes North in the TJ Macfarland role. 

I believe the most recent outings for Araujo and Mesa were also bouncebacks. Makes it interesting... but more critical in the case of Cortes -- because of the need for a starter, and also LH relief. 

Cortes pitching right now on MASN. Replay of today’s game in case anyone wants to watch. He will pitch the next 3 innings. 

So far his FB is hitting 89-90 on the MASN gun. 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:48 AM, now said:

With Roch's article today on Araujo, we are reminded of the gaudy numbers of that Rule 5 pick. 

Including Cortes and Mesa, I'm struck by the dominance of all three, numbers-wise. 

• Cortes: 25-14 with a 2.08 ERA in 84 minor league games, including 40 starts, with 344 strikeouts in 324 1/3 innings. He pitched at three levels this summer, including Triple-A, and went 7-4 with a 2.06 ERA in 30 games (13 starts).
  • Mesa: In 84.0 total innings, Mesa, Jr pitched to a 1.93 ERA and 0.95 WHIP while striking out 101 and walking 32. AA: 4-0 record, 0.79 ERA and 0.93 WHIP in 8 games (5 starts) over a span of 34.1 innings.  Mesa, Jr struck out 39 and walked 17 while limiting hitters to a .132 batting average.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these performances superior to any other pitchers in the Orioles minor league system? And I would guess those numbers compare favorably to some of the top prospects the Orioles and fans were hoping to reap from a Machado trade. 

So why the disrespect, which I gather is the norm on this board, for the Rule 5 guys? Is it the stigma of that designation (their other teams didn't want them)? The lack of superior stuff or velocity, regardless of results?

Granted, the Orioles have painted themselves in a corner having all three of these guys, plus Santander. And this discussion leaves aside the quest for an established starting rotation at least for #1-4. But I'm pulling for these guys and wonder if they have their other supporters lurking somewhere in the weeds of OH...

Well done, thanks.

On 3/1/2018 at 1:49 PM, Frobby said:

As I said, the statement you quoted was exaggerated.    As to the “parochial NY-centric media,” nobody will deny that exists, but I don’t think it really applies to the publications that closely follow minor league baseball like BA, BP, Fangraphs and Sickels.    BA, for example, rated the Yankee system 16th, 19th and 18th the last three years before this one (they’re now ranked 3rd).     The Yankees do have a very deep system right now, and that’s evidenced by the fact that of the 18 players chosen in the Rule 5 draft, four were plucked out of the Yankees’ system, including Cortes and Mesa.

I think this is an unreliable and likely a misleading way to gauge the strength of a farm system. Not one of those players who were picked is likely to get any more than the cup of coffee the Orioles gave Cortes.

Now that those four players have been dumped by the teams that drafted them, I guess someone could argue that is evidence that the MFY farm is over-rated.

Truth is, the results of the Rule 5 draft are not a valid measurement on way or the other of the quality of the players in each franchise's minor leagues.