Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Leaving the ACC for the Big 10, in hindsight

Has your opinion of leaving the ACC for the Big 10 changed?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Maryland leaving the ACC for the Big 10 changed?

• Yes - I was against the move, but now I like it
    • No - I was against the move and still am
    • Yes - I was for the move but don’t like it now
    • No - I was for the move and still like it

I’m just curious to know if people’s opinion of Maryland leaving the ACC for the Big 10 has changed over the last four years.    Thoughts?   Poll above.  

PS — I put this in the basketball forum, but your answer doesn’t have to be limited to that.   

Voted for the 2nd option, but honestly I think a better response would be "didn't like it then, don't care now".  Because the ACC as I knew it is dead. I still think it was a panic move to help the finances in the short term.  Football-wise the Big 10 is more interesting, but basketball-wise it is not.

Option two for me as well, I really miss the ACC rivalries.  Especially when Duke came to town.  But, I can say I don't mind missing this years MD team get embarrassed by Duke and NC as they most certainly would have....

9 minutes ago, murph said:

Option two for me as well, I really miss the ACC rivalries.  Especially when Duke came to town.  But, I can say I don't mind missing this years MD team get embarrassed by Duke and NC as they most certainly would have....

So you would rather get embarrassed on the football field than the Hardwood?  :P

62-14 is pretty bad, 66-3 is even worse.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So you would rather get embarrassed on the football field than the Hardwood?  :P

62-14 is pretty bad, 66-3 is even worse.

For me it is not an issue, not remotely a college football fan at all.  Also cannot watch the NBA either.   Baseball, Tennis and College basketball.   Nothing else matters.   :D

1 minute ago, murph said:

For me it is not an issue, not remotely a college football fan at all.  Also cannot watch the NBA either.   Baseball, Tennis and College basketball.   Nothing else matters.   :D

You forgot Curling.

• Haha 1

Speaking as someone who was first a Duke fan (having graduated from there) and second a Maryland fan (having grown up in the state and still living there), I really miss having Maryland in the ACC.    The rivalries just aren’t there in the Big 10 and most of the schools are too far away. 

I agree with Glenn_Davis, though, that the ACC isn’t as fun as it was when it was an 8 or 9 team conference and teams played home and away against every other league team.    

I picked the last option. At first I was disappointed UMd was leaving the ACC but, after a day of thinking about/rationalizing it, was glad they were leaving the all-carolina conference. No more feeling like they're being snubbed, getting the short end of the stick, and taken for granted. I thought it was an opportunity to improve football and still do despite the division drubbings. The football team is on the right path, and I'm confident it will show soon. The talent on their roster is about the best I can recall it ever being. The basketball team has had several good and entertaining years, but hit the injury bug this year, handicapping them. They should be fine going forward.

After saying all that, the jury is really still out to me but I'm glad they're out of the ACC. Note: I've been a fan of the school's athletics for 41 years.  :D

They should just shut football and men's basketball down.   Stick to sports where players aren't getting paid.   I was for move at first now against it. 

Initially against the move. Yow ran the department into the ground financially. The school needed the money. ACC is not the same conference. Pitt is our rival? Would see Dook and Carolina every other year at home.  B1G money will be a big help to athletics when it finally arrives. I fear football will be a disaster. Best we can hope for is Minn, Northwestern like teams. 6-6 a good season with an occasional 7-5, and some other bowl game than Pinstripe Bowl or Military Bowl. Don't get drubbed by more than 25 a couple of times a year. Hoops, we should be top 3 in conference or better, and make NCAA tourney 3 times in a 4 year stretch. Need a President who cares about athletics or things will not improve.  Why AD on sabbatical for 6 months? Just not good. We are just an after thought athletically in this conference. ACC reffing bad?  See any b-ball game when we are playing an old time B!G team and the game is close and we need a loss. Been a fan since the last time we beat State Penn at home. I'm afraid apathy is setting into the picture.

I was for the move at the time and am still for it. As  OldNewGuy said, Yow ran the program into the ground financially. They needed the money and the ACC everyone loved was not the same. I think when people think of leaving the ACC, they just think of how it used to be. But that's not the ACC now even if MD had stayed. Everything changed when BC joined the ACC. Playing BC, Syracuse, Virginia Tech,  Pitt, and Miami wasn't the ACC and that's who MD had to play before they left. Unless we can get into a time machine and go back to the ACC of 2004, I'm still fine with MD having  taken the money to leave.

As far as football and basketball, the teams just have to get better. Moving conferences didn't make them get worse. They've just suffered through bad coaching. I like what Durkin is doing with football, but it takes more time to improve a football team. The basketball team would be better if Turgeon could coach half as well as he could recruit. 

I was fine with the move then, and fine with the move now. 
The rivalries and such would be better in the ACC.  But you had to move to where the money is.  The Big Ten guarantees stability and a chance to keep up financially with the powerhouses to some extent.