Rene88

Yankees sign Neil Walker

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bummer that it's the Yankees, mainly. We didn't really have room for him with Trumbo on the roster, unfortunately. 

Maybe so. But to me other teams like the Yankees do things  to improve. O's are stuck in neutral. 

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Maybe so. But to me other teams like the Yankees do things  to improve. O's are stuck in neutral. 

Amazing what having a huge payroll can do for you.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Per Heyman, it's a ML deal for $5M.  As easy as it is to hammer on the Orioles for not signing players, they really did not need Walker for that amount.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Per Heyman, it's a ML deal for $5M.  As easy as it is to hammer on the Orioles for not signing players, they really did not need Walker for that amount.

A big thing you can see moving forward is the Trumbo type of players will no longer get paid. 

I still think there have been some unique factors this offseason that impacted the starting pitcher market. 

Going forward I would think there will be DH types available year in and year out. Teams will not pay for one dimensional sluggers who can’t field. We have seen here once the bat goes bad there is nothing to fall back on. David Ortiz doesn’t come around very often. 

It blows my mind that y'all are upset we weren't in on this. The Yankees have a hole at 2B...and we don't. Round peg square hole. Save your anger for when someone else signs Cobb. 

19 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It blows my mind that y'all are upset we weren't in on this. The Yankees have a hole at 2B...and we don't. Round peg square hole. Save your anger for when someone else signs Cobb. 

I would be more mad if I was a Yankee fan signing him then upset that the Orioles didn't sign him and I like Walker.  They have one of the best prospects in the game that can play second and is basically ready to play and now they pick up a guy for 5 million instead.  They have Torres, Adujar, and Drury already for second and third not sure the need for Walker. 

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I get the idea of him over Trumbo but it isn’t happening for obvious reasons.

What I don’t get is the sign him and turn Beckham into a utility player argument. Manny and Schoop never sit. Beckham is under team control for 3 years, is 28, Walker turns 33 later this year and has only played a handful of games at 3rd. Why bench Tim for an aging Walker?  Makes no sense. 

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I would be more mad if I was a Yankee fan signing him then upset that the Orioles didn't sign him and I like Walker.  They have one of the best prospects in the game that can play second and is basically ready to play and now they pick up a guy for 5 million instead.  They have Torres, Adujar, and Drury already for second and third not sure the need for Walker. 

This is an understated advantage the Yanks have. Everyone sees it when they sign high dollar players. Here they take a $5M flyer on someone. It it doesn’t work out or they want to call up a kid, oh well, what is $5M to NYY?

Normal teams can’t operate that way. 

16 hours ago, eddie83 said:

This is an understated advantage the Yanks have. Everyone sees it when they sign high dollar players. Here they take a $5M flyer on someone. It it doesn’t work out or they want to call up a kid, oh well, what is $5M to NYY?

Normal teams can’t operate that way. 

Really the Orioles signed Chris Tillman for 3 million when no one else offered him a ML contract

We are paying 200+% over market value for Davis and Trumbo

I don't think financial resources are the O's problem

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Really the Orioles signed Chris Tillman for 3 million when no one else offered him a ML contract

We are paying 200+% over market value for Davis and Trumbo

I don't think financial resources are the O's problem

I wouldn’t say the Orioles have a financial resources “problem” compared to most teams, but they certainly don’t have the Yankees’ resources, either.   That’s just a fact of life.    We can’t afford as many mistakes as they can — and as you’ve pointed out, we’ve made some pretty significant mistakes.