OFFNY

Maryland - Baltimore County Makes NCAA History

o

#16-seed Maryland-Baltimore County just defeated #1-seed Virginia by a score of 74-54.

A #16 seed had never beaten a #1 Seed since the tournament went to 64 teams in 1985. 

Pete Carril's 1989 Princeton team came the closest against #1 Georgetown (50-49.)

o

Not even a contest.

I’m not a huge basketball fan but when I do watch it’s NCAA... and thank God I stayed up to witness that. Me and the dog watched history unfold.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Not even a contest.

I’m not a huge basketball fan but when I do watch it’s NCAA... and thank God I stayed up to witness that. Me and the dog watched history unfold.

After the first 9ish minutes of the second half, but up until then it was a tough battle.  UMBC seemed to have more energy, especially on defense from the beginning, but it could have gone either way until they broke it open mid way through the second half IMO. 

Terribly coached game by Bennett, I thought.     It’s one thing to remain calm, it’s another thing to be comatose when your team is playing like a deer in the headlights.

My brother has a BS and a JD from UVA.     You know what I’m going to say to him about this game?   Nothing.    I’m never going to mention it, unless he brings it up.   How embarrassing.

On the other side of the coin, what an amazing game for UMBC.    I’m really happy for their players, coach, students and fans.

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

#16-seed Maryland-Baltimore County just defeated #1-seed Virginia by a score of 74-54.

A #16 seed had never beaten a #1 Seed since the tournament went to 64 teams in 1985. 

Pete Carril's 1989 Princeton team came the closest against #1 Georgetown (50-49.)

o

I left earth for a day and just read this! Wow what a shocker! You had to figure one day this would happen. Congrats to Retrievers! What a story!!

On 3/16/2018 at 11:45 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

o

MARYLAND -  BALTIMORE COUNTY

o

Purdue also nearly lost as a 1-seed to Western Carolina back in 1996.  That was one of the first tournaments that I followed closely and I remember watching that game.  IIRC correctly the Western Carolina star player had a pretty good luck to tie the game at the buzzer and it rimmed out.

What an awesome story for UMBC.  They had a great chance to win last night as well, just missed on some wide open 3s.  Between UMBC and Coppin State's upset of South Carolina in 1997, Baltimore now has 2 of the biggest NCAA tourney upsets in history.

I'm not sure it ever would have "happened eventually," had college basketball not changed so much.

Transfers have really helped the lower teams.  Guys don't sit and wait anymore.  If they aren't playing significant minutes by their sophomore season, they gone to some low level team they can guarantee a starting spot.  This elevates the lower teams while diminishing the weaker teams. 
And then the one and dones have hurt the elite teams.  Duke, Kentucky, etc. are always young.  Which means they are going to struggle during the regular season.  They use the regular season to try to get ready for the tournament more so than teams of the past.  Which elevates "system" teams and upperclassman teams that might not have the best talent, to number 1 seeds (UVA and Xavier are perfect examples of that this year).  Making it more likely a number 1 seed would lose.
You really needed that kind of landscape to produce what we saw last week. 

On 3/16/2018 at 11:45 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

o

April 20th (Friday), against the Indians.

Orioles to Honor UMBC Men’s Basketball Team’s Historic Upset on UMBC Pride Night

(By Bobby Blanco)

http://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2018/03/orioles-to-honor-umbc-mens-basketball-teams-historic-upset-on-umbc-pride-night.html

cut.jpgo