Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Branden Kline 2018

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Tate, Kline, Carroll, Mullins, and Stewart are must adds. All expect maybe Tate should see the majors this season. 

Luis Gonzalez and Josh Rogers probably are added as well.

Brach, Lee, Marinez, Gentry, Valencia, Jones (if not re-signed) are 6 obvious spots. There are a bunch more borderline spots.

Susac and Sardinas.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Susac and Sardinas.

Susac is still on the 40 man roster.   He is out for the rest of the year with an injury. He will probably stay on the 40 man roster for the reason of the season because he is only being paid his minor league salary.    Susac will be out of options next year and therefore will probably be left off the 40 man roster over the winter.

Sardina has been outrighted and is off the 40 man roster.  Highly unlikely he would will be  put on the 40 man roster again.  It would take several injuries for that to happen.

Vielma is infield depth at this point.  The O's will be targeting more infield depth especially at SS over  the winter.  He is on the bubble as far as staying on the 40 man roster of the winter.   

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Susac is still on the 40 man roster.   He is out for the rest of the year with an injury. He will probably stay on the 40 man roster for the reason of the season because he is only being paid his minor league salary.    Susac will be out of options next year and therefore will probably be left off the 40 man roster over the winter.

Sardina has been outrighted and is off the 40 man roster.  Highly unlikely he would will be  put on the 40 man roster again.  It would take several injuries for that to happen.

Vielma is infield depth at this point.  The O's will be targeting more infield depth especially at SS over  the winter.  He is on the bubble as far as staying on the 40 man roster of the winter.   

That's why I quoted Luke about the dead weight and added their names. Susac should not be on the 40 after this season and Vielma is more expendable than ever.

23 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here is my list of O's minor leaguer that will be exposed to the Rule 5 draft if not put on the 40 man roster:

Means, Tate, Rogers, Kline, Luis Gonzalez, Carroll, Love, Brian Gonzalez, Mullins, Stewart, Wilson Garcia, Gassaway, Yastrezmski, Flaa, Dosch. Rifaela

The ones in bold I think the O's may lose if not protected

Minor leaguers  that do not need to be protected include:

Akin, Mountcastle, McKenna and Diaz

Flaa is having a very good season but I’ve never had the impression that he’s considered a prospect.   

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Flaa is having a very good season but I’ve never had the impression that he’s considered a prospect.   

I don't know what the O's will do.  But I will take a guy that is doing well over a  guy some consider a prospect that is not doing well anytime. Results matter IMO.

Minor leaguers still have a month on more to prove themselves.  We will see where Flaa is at the end of the season.

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't know what the O's will do.  But I will take a guy that is doing well over a  guy some consider a prospect that is not doing well anytime. Results matter IMO.

Minor leaguers still have a month on more to prove themselves.  We will see where Flaa is at the end of the season.

Results matter but there are some guys whose stuff allows them to get minor league hitters out but it just won’t play in the majors.    I’m not saying Flaa is one of those guys because I don’t know much about him.    But I recall he was a senior sign out of college who signed for $10,000, and he’s now 26 years old.     Offhand, his age/statistical profile suggests that his upside is a RH Donnie Hart.   Again, I’ve never seen him pitch and don’t even know what he throws, so take my comments with  several grains of salt.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Results matter but there are some guys whose stuff allows them to get minor league hitters out but it just won’t play in the majors.    

I agree with this.  However most of the time we don't know which players will succeed in the majors and which will not until  they get an opportunity.

Hess was not supposed to be much of a prospect.  But he got a  chance, did well for a while and then hit a down period as the league figured him out.  Now he has to make adjustments and hope he gets more chances.  Yacabonis, Ramirez and Means are probably all in the same boat.  They need chances to figure out who sticks and who doesn't.

We can add Carroll, Kline, Luis Gonzalez, Rogers and Flaa to that list.

Bleier proved to be a good relief pitcher after years of being told he was not a major leaguer.    Opportunity is what is needed and many times a player needs more than one chance.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with this.  However most of the time we don't know which players will succeed in the majors and which will not until  they get an opportunity.

Hess was not supposed to be much of a prospect.  But he got a  chance, did well for a while and then hit a down period as the league figured him out.  Now he has to make adjustments and hope he gets more chances.  Yacabonis, Ramirez and Means are probably all in the same boat.  They need chances to figure out who sticks and who doesn't.

We can add Carroll, Kline, Luis Gonzalez, Rogers and Flaa to that list.

Bleier proved to be a good relief pitcher after years of being told he was not a major leaguer.    Opportunity is what is needed and many times a player needs more than one chance.

I don’t really disagree much with your general statement, but I just don’t know enough about Flaa to know if he’s worthy of a 40-man roster spot.    Is some other team really likely to claim a guy who will be 27 next year and put him on their 25-man roster?    It strikes me as pretty unlikely.    

Looks like when we drafted him the scouting report was 88-91 mph fastball and a good slider.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really disagree much with your general statement, but I just don’t know enough about Flaa to know if he’s worthy of a 40-man roster spot.    Is some other team really likely to claim a guy who will be 27 next year and put him on their 25-man roster?    It strikes me as pretty unlikely.    

Looks like when we drafted him the scouting report was 88-91 mph fastball and a good slider.   

Flaa birthday is June 10th.  He will start the year at 26.   If he ends the season doing as well as he is now I can see a team taking a chance on him.  

2-1, 3.11 ERA 46.1 IP,  21 H,  53 SO,  .133 avg, 0.91 WHIP

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Flaa birthday is June 10th.  He will start the year at 26.   If he ends the season doing as well as he is now I can see a team taking a chance on him.  

2-1, 3.11 ERA 46.1 IP,  21 H,  53 SO,  .133 avg, 0.91 WHIP

Yes, his numbers are very good, no question about it.    When I said he’ll be 27 next year I meant baseball age.    It’s considered his age 27 season because his birthday is before July 1, and he’ll be 27 for more than half the season.   I don’t think a team will take a chance on him solely based on numbers.    The numbers will get their attention, but scouts will need to be convinced that his stuff will work against major league hitters.  

I’d be interested to hear Tony’s or Luke’s take on Flaa.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, his numbers are very good, no question about it.    When I said he’ll be 27 next year I meant baseball age.    It’s considered his age 27 season because his birthday is before July 1, and he’ll be 27 for more than half the season.   I don’t think a team will take a chance on him solely based on numbers.    The numbers will get their attention, but scouts will need to be convinced that his stuff will work against major league hitters.  

I’d be interested to hear Tony’s or Luke’s take on Flaa.  

Doesn't  look like AA hitters can hit him very well. He should probably be in AAA now.