DirtyBird

2018 AA - Bowie Baysox

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He probably belongs in Norfolk though

I guess that depends on what you think Norfolk is; I've always considered Norfolk to be a repository of retreads, back ups, and has beens. AAAA guys trying to get back to the show. Bowie, to me, is where you stick your prospects and "maybe somedays". 

I'm sure there's some argument that can be made to say that AAA is a higher level of competition than AA, but it's not uncommon to jump guys straight from AA to the majors. That, to me, says that AAA is a formality-- maybe there's a great coach, proximity to the major league club, or just "no room at the inn" that pushes different players to one league or the other... and with that said...

I'm not sure it makes any difference whether Salcedo is at Bowie or Norfolk. I think he's more organizational than prospect, and his .664 OPS isn't going to win him any batting titles.

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Neither do most of the players currently on the MLB roster, but they are there...

Getting paid rather well to be there, too.

3 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I guess that depends on what you think Norfolk is; I've always considered Norfolk to be a repository of retreads, back ups, and has beens. AAAA guys trying to get back to the show. Bowie, to me, is where you stick your prospects and "maybe somedays". 

I'm sure there's some argument that can be made to say that AAA is a higher level of competition than AA, but it's not uncommon to jump guys straight from AA to the majors. That, to me, says that AAA is a formality-- maybe there's a great coach, proximity to the major league club, or just "no room at the inn" that pushes different players to one league or the other... and with that said...

I'm not sure it makes any difference whether Salcedo is at Bowie or Norfolk. I think he's more organizational than prospect, and his .664 OPS isn't going to win him any batting titles.

I say he should be in Norfolk to move all 3 of our organizational SS’s up a level and get Adam Hall to Delmarva.

Joe Fitzhenry

BOWIE, Md.  Austin Hays scored the go-ahead run on a wild pitch in the sixth and the Bowie Baysox (10-7) captured the series opener with a 4-2 victory over the Richmond Flying Squirrels (12-6) on Monday night at Prince George’s Stadium in Bowie.

In the afore-mentioned sixth, Hays led off with a triple and scored later in the frame on the wild pitch charged to Richmond starter Jordan Johnson.

Johnson (2-2) gave up four runs on nine hits while walking two and fanning four in 6.0 IP.

LHP Luis Ysla (3.2 IP, 3 H, R, ER, 2 BB, 4 K) earned his team-leading third win for the Baysox to improve to 3-0. LHP Luis Gonzalez (1.1 IP, 3 K) got the final four outs to record his third save.

Richmond had a runner at second with two outs in the both the seventh and eighth innings, but Ysla got Ronnie Jebavy on a 6-3 groundout to end the seventh and Gonzalez got Dylan Davis looking at strike three to end the eighth.

Davis’ solo shot in the top of the second off of Baysox starter Matthew Grimes gave Richmond a 1-0 lead.

The Baysox tied the game in the home half of the frame with Martin Cervenka’s solo blast off of Johnson. The home run was Cervenka’s first of the year and his first since August 5, 2017 with Lynchburg (A+).

Ali Castillo led off the fifth with a double and scored three batters later onMiguel Gomez’s two-out RBI single to give the Flying Squirrels a 2-1 lead for the time being.

Bowie tied it at two apiece in the home half of the frame as Adrian Marin led off with a single, advanced to second on a Cedric Mullins single, took third on a wild pitch and scored when Mark Trumbo grounded into a 6-4-3 double play.

Grimes (n/d) allowed one run on four hits to go along with three walks and a strikeout in four innings of work.

The Baysox tacked on an insurance run in the seventh when Marin drew a leadoff walk, advanced to third on a pair of walks and scored on an Ademar Rifaela sac fly to stretch the lead to 4-2.

Marin (2-2, 2 BB, 2 R) had a multi-hit game for manager Gary Kendall’s squad

Joseph Fitzhenry

A six-run Akron seventh inning rally submerged Bowie on a chilly Saturday afternoon at Canal Park. 12 men batted in a frame that sent the Baysox to a sixth loss in their first eight road games in 2018.

Bowie did lead for the majority of the contest. The Baysox scored twice in the opening frame as Anderson Feliz finished the inning off with a two-out RBI-single to lead 2-0. Up 2-1 in the fourth inning, Martin Cervenka doubled and then scored with two down as Erick Salcedo shot a single opposite of the shift into left field for a 3-1 Baysox advantage.

But things began to unravel in the sixth. Baysox starter Michael Kelly walked and then hit a batter to open the inning. Lucas Long came in out of the pen and coaxed a big double play ball. But with a runner at third, Ka'ai Tom hit a hard groundball under the glove of first baseman Corban Joseph for an RBI-triple to bring Akron within 3-2.

Akron's big seventh inning began with a Tyler Krieger double. He then scored on a chopper into right field by Willi Castro. Castro was then running on a 3-2 pitch as Joe Sever hit a bouncer to short that Salcedo mishandled for an error. That set the table for the big inning and Akron capitalized. Later in the frame, Mike Mathias singled home two runs as the RubberDucks led 5-3 en route to their six-run rally.

It was a tough day for the Bowie bullpen as the Baysox pen allowed nine runs, eight of them earned in three innings of work. 

Do the Baysox announce their planned starting pitchers for the week to come?  I don't see it on the Baysox website or their twitter.  I'm hoping to go watch Hunter Harvey perhaps this coming weekend vs. Akron.  Thx in advance!

2 hours ago, beantownrefugee said:

Do the Baysox announce their planned starting pitchers for the week to come?  I don't see it on the Baysox website or their twitter.  I'm hoping to go watch Hunter Harvey perhaps this coming weekend vs. Akron.  Thx in advance!

They announce the starter for that game and the next one. Everything after that is "TBD" on every site.

Your best bet is to try and track each start and figure out the rotation.

42 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They announce the starter for that game and the next one. Everything after that is "TBD" on every site.

Your best bet is to try and track each start and figure out the rotation.

Legend, do you have a link to where Bowie announces their day-of and next day starters?  I'm not seeing it on their website or twitter, but I may be overlooking it.

My aim is to go see each of the five Orioles minor league clubs this summer.  Do all of the clubs typically only announce the starting pitchers up to one day ahead?

12 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

Legend, do you have a link to where Bowie announces their day-of and next day starters?  I'm not seeing it on their website or twitter, but I may be overlooking it.

My aim is to go see each of the five Orioles minor league clubs this summer.  Do all of the clubs typically only announce the starting pitchers up to one day ahead?

If you are on a computer, you can go to their home page and it will show you the starter for the day in the top banner. When you click on the "right" arrow, you'll see the next day. After that, it is just "TBD." The only club that shows more than "day of and next day" starters is Norfolk, unfortunately.

Here are the sites for each team:

Delmarva: http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t548

Frederick: http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t493

Bowie: http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t418

Norfolk: http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t568

4 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

Thank you!!

Based on back tracking the Baysox rotation + through tomorrow, looks like Akin on Sunday, no Harvey this weekend.

No problem.

They threw a wrench in stuff with Ysla starting today, as he seemed to be the back end of the bullpen when Harvey was starting.