Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Alex Wells 2018

Pretty nice A+ debut for Wells today — 4.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K’s.    He had a shutout through 4, got the first out in the 5th but then allowed consecutive singles and was pulled.    Trowbridge allowed the inherited runs to score, so Wells’ final line wasn’t quite as good as it could have been.    

The final hit off Wells was described as “single on a line drive to Alex Wells.”    He was pulled immediately after that.   I’m hoping the line drive didn’t injure him.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Pretty nice A+ debut for Wells today — 4.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K’s.    He had a shutout through 4, got the first out in the 5th but then allowed consecutive singles and was pulled.    Trowbridge allowed the inherited runs to score, so Wells’ final line wasn’t quite as good as it could have been.    

The final hit off Wells was described as “single on a line drive to Alex Wells.”    He was pulled immediately after that.   I’m hoping the line drive didn’t injure him.  

Now you got me all nervous

The game recap that weams posted doesn't mention anything about Wells getting hit, so hopefully there is nothing to see as far as that goes.

I watched the game last night and Wells was very good. His curveball was sharp and until the last one he threw (that's the one that hit off him) he spotted it well. His fastball got a lot of swings and misses up in the zone. It reminded me of Wei Yin Chen's fastball. 

He was basically unhittable until the firth when he gave up the two singles, but he was pulled because he was at 81 pitches, not because he was hurt. He walked off the mound without even so much as a limp. 

The only issue I had was that he didn't throw his changeup much at all. There were a few times that the situation screamed for a changeup, but Levy didn't seem to call for many. Really good first start.

Another solid outing for Wells — 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s.   Bullpen blew a lead for him so he was non-decisioned.   

Game 2

6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 5 Ks, 1 BB

92 pitches, 59 strikes

ERA now sits at 1.74

Worth noting: Keys defense committed 3 errors while Wells was on the mound, likely contributing to higher pitch count. 

Edited by MachoMachadoMan

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Another solid outing for Wells — 6 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s.   Bullpen blew a lead for him so he was non-decisioned.   

The 1 run was unearned.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

2020-2024 O's are looking really good right now. It appears the "Grow the arms, Buy the bats" philosophy is now starting to take hold. 

Too bad they don't know when to sell those bats too.

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Too bad they don't know when to sell those bats too.

We have bats in the upper minors and pitching in the lower minors. Now all we need is to coordinate the two merging together at the same time

1 minute ago, weams said:

Remember, velocity isn’t everything, and power pitchers aren’t having the success they once did. Finesse and command are becoming the name of the game again.

Did I miss something?