Sign in to follow this  
Sanfran327

The Cooking Thread

I'm actually pretty surprised that we don't have a cooking thread here after all these years, but here I am remedying that.

I'm not the weeknight chef at my house all that often, but I do love to cook. I guess it's because I like the low and slow stuff, or the more complex meals. Lots of times on a Sunday, I'll make a big pot of marinara, chili, or soup/stew. Lasagnas are popular around here, too.

However, I just got a Big Green Egg recently, and I have to say, it's been awesome. Pork butts, ribs, brisket, chicken (whole, parts, and/or wings), sausage, and other goodies have all come off of my Egg in the last two months, and they have been incredible. Anyone else here have an Egg or another kamado-style cooker? If you've ever considered one and walked away from it for whatever reason, you must reconsider. The temp control, moisture retention, and smoke infusion in these things makes everything you'd make on a gas or charcoal grill 10x better. Trust me, I'm not THAT good of a cook, and people have really liked the results. 

Anyway, what do you guys like to cook? Got any gameday, weekday, holiday, or seasonal favorites you want to brag about (and share)? There's got to be a ton of good eats to be shared around the board.

• Upvote 1

We've had discussions before.

I picked up an Immersion Circulator back in November and have been playing with it.  Par-cooked some potatoes in in last night. 

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We've had discussions before.

I picked up an Immersion Circulator back in November and have been playing with it.  Par-cooked some potatoes in in last night. 

Sous vide? That's supposed to be the ultimate complement to the BGE. Lots of people swear by the SV then sear method. Guess you can't argue with to-the-degree temperature accuracy.

6 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Sous vide? That's supposed to be the ultimate complement to the BGE. Lots of people swear by the SV then sear method. Guess you can't argue with to-the-degree temperature accuracy.

It's nice to throw a cheap hunk of meat in a 130 degree bath and pull it out 23 hours later to have it still be medium rare.

• Upvote 2

My wife picked up one of those new style electric pressure cooker, and while slow cooking is always a favorite of mine, you don't always have the advance warning and prep time needed.

So far, this thing has been amazing. Cook time is crazy fast.

On 4/9/2018 at 7:38 AM, Redskins Rick said:

My wife picked up one of those new style electric pressure cooker, and while slow cooking is always a favorite of mine, you don't always have the advance warning and prep time needed.

So far, this thing has been amazing. Cook time is crazy fast.

AKA the "Instant Pot".  I swear this was one of the great rebrands of the last decade.  We have one and it is very useful. 

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

AKA the "Instant Pot".  I swear this was one of the great rebrands of the last decade.  We have one and it is very useful. 

Yep all the stigma of them, you know, exploding, has gone by the wayside.

Genius marketing.

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep all the stigma of them, you know, exploding, has gone by the wayside.

Genius marketing.

Old style pressure cookers would also explode if not properly used, and at least in my case, because of so much use, we had to replace the seal in the lid a few times, not to mention, the vent cap.

This is probably more appropriate for the whiskey thread, but a cocktail is a nice part of a meal!

My after work old fashioned.

2 oz. rye whiskey (in this case Bulleit)

a pinch of sugar

some dashes of angostura bitters

amarena cherry and lemon peel garnish

hipster ice cube made in a yogurt container

The meal it is preceding is green chile pork tacos. Hatch chiles, onions, garlic, and tomatillos sourced from my yard!

unnamed.jpg

13 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

This is probably more appropriate for the whiskey thread, but a cocktail is a nice part of a meal!

a pinch of sugar

The meal it is preceding is green chile pork tacos. Hatch chiles, onions, garlic, and tomatillos sourced from my yard!

unnamed.jpg

I’ll have one to go!

I've had ham hock broth going for 5 1/2 hours now. Well, pork shanks which my grocery store only has. More meat anyways. Prolly go only til about 10:00-ish*, 8 hours. Hocks are about to fall apart already. Cool it down and fridge or freeze it til next weekend and then make some beans! Bag of pinto beans and a bag of HamBeens 15 bean mix.

home_15bs_square_image_update.jpg

*Because I start DAY SHIFT tomorrow morning grumble grumble grumble

On 8/8/2018 at 6:52 PM, Chavez Ravine said:

a pinch of sugar

unnamed.jpg

My “go to” cocktail.