Jump to content
bird watcher

Trey Mancini is going to trend up

Recommended Posts

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=15149&position=1B/OF

Watching him hit this year it seems like he has had a lot of loud outs. This is confirmed by an unusually low .289 BABIP. 

Despite the unusually bad luck he is carrying a .345 obp.  

He has a good eye st the plate and is making contact. 

http://m.mlb.com/player/641820/trey-mancini

Over the past 7 games his avg is .323 with an .400 obp

The slugging is way down. His launch angle on batted balls is also way down which is probably why he only has one HR. This may just be a function of small sample size or may need to be adjusted by him.

His exit velocity is solid at 90.16mph so he is hitting the ball hard. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen any player recently with this kind of bad luck.The balls he's hit so far should've produced at least 3 more HR or extra bases for sure. Its been incredible. I believe he's the best overall hitter on this team, not merely a power hitter who swings only to hit a HR. And yet, he has little to show for it.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m bullish on Mancini.

Still think his approach lends more to a high BA/decent OBP and moderate power output. Nothing wrong with .290, .350 and 20 HR though. 

We need more hitters like that and less all or nothing guys. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I’m bullish on Mancini.

Still think his approach lends more to a high BA/decent OBP and moderate power output. Nothing wrong with .290, .350 and 20 HR though. 

We need more hitters like that and less all or nothing guys. 

Yes, I only wish we knew he could hit before we signed Davis. I mean, Trey showed no signs in the minors that he could hit. This has been totally unexpected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Mancini's bat too. Aside from possibly Sisco I think he's probably our best leadoff option...and frankly I'm not sure why it took Buck so long to figure that out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Yes, I only wish we knew he could hit before we signed Davis. I mean, Trey showed no signs in the minors that he could hit. This has been totally unexpected.

In hindsight, the Davis contract was atrocious, but resigning Trumbo (with Mancini waiting in the wings) was really the bonehead move IMO. 

I think it all boils down to the evaluation of talent. Signing Ubaldo...signing Davis...signing Trumbo...trading Arrieta...trading Hader...trading J.Turner, etc. This is more than a trend/bad luck. The well run teams know when to sell high / buy low and more importantly when to cut their loses. I'm not sure if it's at the executive level, management level, or scouting level, but this team doesn't seem to be very good at evaluating talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s frustrating that the one time yesterday that Mancini didn’t hit a long fly ball was the time we needed one.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Yes, I only wish we knew he could hit before we signed Davis. I mean, Trey showed no signs in the minors that he could hit. This has been totally unexpected.

Not true.  A lot of us were high on his bat before his first call-up.  Really the only knock on him was his K rate.  He was hitting double-digit HR's and his OPB was averaging around .360.  I don't think anybody expected him to be as good as he was last year and probably will continue to be this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Not true.  A lot of us were high on his bat before his first call-up.  Really the only knock on him was his K rate.  He was hitting double-digit HR's and his OPB was averaging around .360.  I don't think anybody expected him to be as good as he was last year and probably will continue to be this year.

I think you need to turn up the sensitivity on your sarcasm meter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

I think you need to turn up the sensitivity on your sarcasm meter. 

I broke it in the game thread last night.

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bird watcher said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=15149&position=1B/OF

Watching him hit this year it seems like he has had a lot of loud outs. This is confirmed by an unusually low .289 BABIP. 

Despite the unusually bad luck he is carrying a .345 obp.  

He has a good eye st the plate and is making contact. 

http://m.mlb.com/player/641820/trey-mancini

Over the past 7 games his avg is .323 with an .400 obp

The slugging is way down. His launch angle on batted balls is also way down which is probably why he only has one HR. This may just be a function of small sample size or may need to be adjusted by him.

His exit velocity is solid at 90.16mph so he is hitting the ball hard. 

One of the beat guys on twitter last night claimed Mancini had already been robbed of 10 hits.  The other said 12.

Evidently no one is ever supposed to make a play on a ball he hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I haven't seen any player recently with this kind of bad luck.The balls he's hit so far should've produced at least 3 more HR or extra bases for sure. Its been incredible. I believe he's the best overall hitter on this team, not merely a power hitter who swings only to hit a HR. And yet, he has little to show for it.

 

Three loud outs last night.  Gotta stop hitting it at Pillar :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People have been sleeping on him.  I've said it often, draft status and everything plays a huge part in how people perceive guys.  Trey was an 8th round pick.  

If this production he had last year was coming out of a 1st round pick, we'd be collectively crapping our pants.  But guys from later rounds don't get taken as seriously because the lofty draft status and the pedigree isn't there.   

I would agree that outside of Manny, he's our best hitter.  On some nights, he's the only one worth watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

People have been sleeping on him.  I've said it often, draft status and everything plays a huge part in how people perceive guys.  Trey was an 8th round pick.  

If this production he had last year was coming out of a 1st round pick, we'd be collectively crapping our pants.  But guys from later rounds don't get taken as seriously because the lofty draft status and the pedigree isn't there.   

I would agree that outside of Manny, he's our best hitter.  On some nights, he's the only one worth watching.

I don’t think draft status matters much to fans.    The pundits seem to be the ones who have trouble getting past it.    

Mancini’s a solid hitter, without question.    The main issue is whether he can take it to a level beyond last year.     I agree he’s looked good so far this year and that his stats don’t reflect how hard he’s hit the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...