eddie83

Ken Rosenthal’s Orioles article

57 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I understand, but it's going to have to be one of those "believe it when we see it" things. 

I don't see the Angelos brothers throwing in the towel this early.  Let's revisit this in two months.  

I don't see the Orioles "officially" throwing in the towel until late May. That's when teams will make a reassessment for the season and when Manny's trade value will be at the highest.

On 4/13/2018 at 2:54 PM, spiritof66 said:

The experience of attending college can be instrumental in creating the kind of careful critical thinking, including evaluating input from others, that is important  to success as a GM. That said, I don;'t care at all that Brady didn't graduate from college. I do care that he (a) hasn't worked his way up through the front office in a way that would test him and give him experience in all the areas that a GM is responsible for and (b) apparently has a close relationship with some of the players whose Oriole futures he would be deciding as GM. 

I wasn't judging, just sharing what I know. 

That said, the majority of GMs do have college degrees and most of them graduated from very prestigious schools. Like you said, that's not a deal breaker, but when you combine that with Anderson's lack of traditional experience it definitely seems like he has an uphill battle for success. I guess time will tell... 

On 4/13/2018 at 2:23 PM, Redskins Rick said:

College degree doesnt mean crap these days about  a person's worth, for the most part.

Too many colleges are pushing out kids with no knowledge or common sense, but they got a stupid piece of paper.

Some of my peers, their college days was getting drunk/stoned or both, and cutting class, and still manage to graduate and that was many decades ago, I can rather image that its even worse now.

Wow, I feel like this struck a personal nerve. This might be true at a school like University of California Irvine, but most of the current GMs graduated from ivy / very prestigious universities where the academic standards and expectations are higher. So to say that a degree is worthless and to imply that it's easy to obtain one is really a gross understatement and generalization. 

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is the main concern i have with Brady. I think he's a student of the game and has a good eye for talent, but his desire to have relationships with players is concerning.

Managers that want to be "friends" with their employers usually last about 30 seconds. You can't have it both ways. If he's not able to make that separation then he has zero chance of succeeding...and the deck is already stacked against him because of his lack of conventional experience.

I'm somewhat shocked that there is no mention of the "slide" we've seen over the past two years in overall performance of the O's, weak FA signings, and questionable trades for rentals, all of which seem to be coinciding with Brady gaining power and DD's power diminishing.  Go back to the debacle that Toronto created for us in desiring DD as their GM.  Since then, the FO has done more to hurt than help this team.  And Brady has been rising since then and DD has been falling... Just an observers opinion who's only info comes from this board, the fishwrap, and the Pressbox and other weeklies. Something is fishy to me.