Luke-OH

2018 MLB Draft Discussion

On 4/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Would you pick a HS catcher, who only had one year of catching experience, because your starting catcher was due to leave?  Sisco was the first of those catchers selected and there was no way he could have conceivably have been viewed as someone that could take over when Wieters left.  There is no HS catching equivalent of Machado.

So are you saying that those catchers were the best players available?

I never said that any of those catchers would take over as soon as Wieters left. You say that you don't draft for need. Were there any catchers in the O's system back then that were expected to make it to the majors? Drafting 3 catchers that early seems to indicate the O's didn't think there were good enough catchers in the system, and that's why they used early picks to get three more. That sounds like drafting for need to me.

7 minutes ago, panick said:

I never said that any of those catchers would take over as soon as Wieters left. You say that you don't draft for need. Were there any catchers in the O's system back then that were expected to make it to the majors? Drafting 3 catchers that early seems to indicate the O's didn't think there were good enough catchers in the system, and that's why they used early picks to get three more. That sounds like drafting for need to me.

I don't know enough about the draft to tell you if Heim was the BPA at 129 of the 2013 draft.  I know I didn't see where any of them were regarded as a big reach.  You always draft a disproportion amount of Catchers, Center Fielders and Short Stops compared to other position players.

Now when you say they drafted by need because they evidently didn't have enough minor league catchers in the system.  Yes, I do think the draft is used to fill out deficiencies in the minor leagues.

When I said you don't draft from need I was talking about need on the ML roster.  I wasn't talking about organizational depth.  If they need enough catchers to fill out their rosters they might make drafting some a priority.  After all a large part of the draft is about the minor league rosters with most kinds having no realistic shot at a ML career.

I don't think they went into the 2013 draft saying, we need to draft Wieters' replacement.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:21 PM, panick said:

Factually, those catchers were drafted in 2013.    Wieters was under control through 2015 (and ended up staying an extra year).   I don’t know if Wieters’ possible departure in 2.5 seasons would have impacted the O’s draft strategy, but I kind’ve doubt it.    

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't look good at third, swinging over breaking stuff, 70 power...yea, sounds like an Oriole.

Ha, Gorman, I'm not a fan.

A possible target at #37 that I just watched some video on and really liked, Gunnar Hoglund.

The stuff isn't crazy, but the delivery is clean and super repeatable, the fastball has really nice life and he gets great extension down the mound. 

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

A possible target at #37 that I just watched some video on and really liked, Gunnar Hoglund.

The stuff isn't crazy, but the delivery is clean and super repeatable, the fastball has really nice life and he gets great extension down the mound. 

Fivay hs is less than 3 miles from where I am sitting.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fivay hs is less than 3 miles from where I am sitting.

Get a look, he hasn't walked anyone this spring apparently so it should be a fast moving affair.