Luke-OH

2018 MLB Draft Discussion

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Honestly, if you can get a platoon/utility guy for 6-7 years at the MLB level that is probably pretty awesome value for what is essentially a 2nd round pick. 

I like the chance for a little higer payout on my lottery tickets.  

4 minutes ago, badmamajama said:

And you know this guy can't? Do tell.

I can read scouting reports. 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don’t like the Grenier pick

I don't either. But just because I wanted another starter. 

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I like the chance for a little higer payout on my lottery tickets.  

That’s fine. Google and read the right scouting report on all these guys and eventually you’ll find one saying the will be MLB All Stars. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What?

He was in the Bay Area man. Bordick juiced like Steinbach, Canseco, Mcguire....,If you don’t realize that, not sure what to say.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What?

He hit 2 Home Runs at 28. Slugging percentage around .350 until he is 32.  Then one season he comes back all jacked up and hits 20 home runs at 34.  And you don't think he was on steroids?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

That's not how the MLB draft works. In the MLB draft you must sign all of your picks in the 1st round or earlier or you lose that picks slot money. What typically happens is teams splurge early then picks like 5-10 are given to college seniors and others who will sign super cheaply for like 10k. Then the 11th round is typically a splurge round where teams know approximately how much money they're going to have to work with so they start drafting all the guys who were undrafted due to high dollar demands. This happens until the end of the draft because there is no penalty for not signing people in rounds 11-40. Often times people are drafted in those rounds with no intend to sign them at all, but just to let the player know they're interested in them when the time comes. So a player in the 37th round might be a top 100 ranked player, he might be a nothing, but you can't go by the round and say they're going to be good or not.

Whats mind-boggling to me is this: if I wanted to overslot a guy in a later round, why not just pick him up in an earlier round? I get the logic of saving money to sign all your picks...I dont get the logic of trying to save money forma later guy when you could just pick him earlier. Help me out here?

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't either. But just because I wanted another starter. 

You’ll start to see the small school guys get drafted tomorrow. It’s been our MO. 

Just now, atomic said:

He hit 2 Home Runs at 28. Slugging percentage around .350 until he is 32.  Then one season he comes back all jacked up and hits 20 home runs at 34.  And you don't think he was on steroids?

It never amazes me how naive people are, lol. 

1 minute ago, 99ct said:

Whats mind-boggling to me is this: if I wanted to overslot a guy in a later round, why not just pick him up in an earlier round? I get the logic of saving money to sign all your picks...I dont get the logic of trying to save money forma later guy when you could just pick him earlier. Help me out here?

Because the teams have often times already talked to the guys predraft and made a deal. So they need to lock those people in before they can pick the sliding player. If they pick the sliding player then someone takes the guy they were going to use to save money, then what?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 99ct said:

Because if you aren’t 100% sure he’ll sign, you don’t waste such an early pick. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

It never amazes me how naive people are, lol. 

Some of us like to have something more than speculation to go off of. 🤷‍♂️