Jump to content
Frobby

Paging Manny Machado: Corey Seager out for the year with TJ surgery

Recommended Posts

I doubt it happens, simply because the Orioles are under the delusion that they can re-sign him.  We'll end up with nothing but a comp pick, and that is incompetency of the highest order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

He's getting paid 19 mil in 2019 at age 34 and 20 mil in 2020 at age 35.  It'd be ironic that we'd get him because we wouldn't pay Machado.

And further ironic that we gave up on Turner before he became a major leaguer.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't read this entire thread but I'm totally on board with this. I could be repeating a statement already made.

I don't care if we don't get any to little prospects. Let's do a trade like they did with the Red Sox. Remember when they took Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto?

I'm sure we would need to take on a big contract or two but lets get out from under Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo's contract and take on a contract that doesn't have so many years left and is playing decent baseball or has some upside to playing every day for our disastrous team this year.

Dodgers get:

Manny Machado
Chris Davis 
Mark Trumbo

Orioles get: 

Matt Kemp
Logan Forsythe
Dennis Santana (AA pitcher)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, esmd said:

Justin Turner is 33 years old.  Why would you want him back?  We need prospects for Manny, not guys in their 30's.

Exactly... I highly doubt Dan is smart enough to make those moves. And we all know how much he love to acquire players who is familiar to the organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, markakis8 said:

I didn't read this entire thread but I'm totally on board with this. I could be repeating a statement already made.

I don't care if we don't get any to little prospects. Let's do a trade like they did with the Red Sox. Remember when they took Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto?

I'm sure we would need to take on a big contract or two but lets get out from under Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo's contract and take on a contract that doesn't have so many years left and is playing decent baseball or has some upside to playing every day for our disastrous team this year.

Dodgers get:

Manny Machado
Chris Davis 
Mark Trumbo

Orioles get: 

Matt Kemp
Logan Forsythe
Dennis Santana (AA pitcher)

I don't think the Dodgers would agree to a deal that would result in their exceeding the salary threshold.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should happen now.  That said, the best return comes from competition and so I don't think the Orioles can play any other offers off so if the Dodgers aren't overreacting there may not be anything there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dodgers have some decent prospects where they could put together a package for just Manny.  Would be nice to put a package together with Manny, Davis, +prospect for a decent return plus salary relief.

But like many others, I feel that Dan is incapable of making any trade like this... since it does not involve any dumpster diving.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the Dodgers would agree to a deal that would result in their exceeding the salary threshold.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I was trying to come up with something with Manny, Davis and possibly a reliever...maybe Brach. Essentially get rid of Davis and take back some salary but also a prospect or two. 

I think this makes for interesting fan board chatter, but there's a very low probability that Manny gets moved this season. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the Dodgers would agree to a deal that would result in their exceeding the salary threshold.

I don't either, especially since a stated goal for both the Dodgers and Yankees for this season was to remain below the threshold, and thus reset their luxury tax penalty back to 20%.  Otherwise, it is 50% for this season and all subsequent consecutive seasons.  If it's Manny to the Dodgers, unfortunately Davis nor Trumbo seem like they could be included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This should happen now.  That said, the best return comes from competition and so I don't think the Orioles can play any other offers off so if the Dodgers aren't overreacting there may not be anything there.

There is ample competition.  Kershaw's prime is drawing to a close, and the wildcard game is a 60/40 shot even if you're throwing Kershaw against Zach Davies because Josh Hader's ready for that 8-strikeout save.  Competition is the Arizona Diamondbacks 8-game lead.

In the spirit of Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler, if Manny can hang in SoCal later this week and Alex Verdugo can come with us to Oakland, I'm good.

Want to hear a funny competitor as the Dodgers sift non-Manny SS options?  JJ Hardy.

Dodgers will definitely want us to take money on and we should for talent - as acute as this need is for them now, I don't think they're going to bust the tax with Kershaw's opt-out and the price of Dodger for life pending.  They won't want the 20% or whatever it is atop that ~$300M, even if it means risking a wildcard game in 2018.  Whether Kemp, Forsythe or both, we'll need placeholders.

Kemp would be so very grumpy as an Oriole.  I was a toddler the Reggie year, but my understanding is he couldn't wait to get out of the small town for the big city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

There is ample competition.  Kershaw's prime is drawing to a close, and the wildcard game is a 60/40 shot even if you're throwing Kershaw against Zach Davies because Josh Hader's ready for that 8-strikeout save.  Competition is the Arizona Diamondbacks 8-game lead.

In the spirit of Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler, if Manny can hang in SoCal later this week and Alex Verdugo can come with us to Oakland, I'm good.

Want to hear a funny competitor as the Dodgers sift non-Manny SS options?  JJ Hardy.

Dodgers will definitely want us to take money on and we should for talent - as acute as this need is for them now, I don't think they're going to bust the tax with Kershaw's opt-out and the price of Dodger for life pending.  They won't want the 20% or whatever it is atop that ~$300M, even if it means risking a wildcard game in 2018.  Whether Kemp, Forsythe or both, we'll need placeholders.

Kemp would be so very grumpy as an Oriole.  I was a toddler the Reggie year, but my understanding is he couldn't wait to get out of the small town for the big city.

I meant trade competition.  Do you get more from Manny now if the Dodgers are the only trade offer and are doing so because of fear of their competition or do you get more later with multiple trade offers to play off eachother and the same fear of competition.  I think that's a valid question.  There are a lot of factors and the Orioles NEED the best return.  I was saying two years ago that the return for Manny goes a long way toward determining if if the Orioles are competitive again in 2020 or 2025.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...