Jump to content
foxfield

Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

15 games just isn’t much.   The Dodgers are 4-9.   And I don’t think you fire a guy who’s taken your team to the playoffs three times in the last six years that lightly.    If the O’s are 18-36 at the end of May I’d think his seat would be starting to get warm.   

They are not going to fire Buck. Maybe he doesn't come back next year, but they will not fire him. Such player turnover next year that it might make sense to bring someone else in anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know the more the Orioles lose the more this thread is going to gain steam.  We're going to get to at least 50 pages, folks.  Draw the battle line and take your sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

As much as I disagree with some of bucks decisions, i think he might be the biggest reason the team hugely outperformed their projections between 2012 and 2016.  His teams overachived for five straight seasons.  They were also somehow overachieving last year up until September despite a complete dumpster fire at sp and horrible years from the two biggest “sluggers”.  Id be ok with bringing him back.

I agree with everything you wrote except the last line. I think next year should see big changes and a frest start. From the GM and manager on down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Buck, and he's the second best manager in Orioles history behind Earl.

That said, he's too old school.  This team relies on sitting back and waiting for the home run ball.  There is no creativity to the offense.  The coaching staff doesn't appear to be able to make adjustments to improve the pitchers or hitters when they get into funks, and Buck is too loyal to his guys to ever take players' performance out on his coaching staff.  All in all, this team needs a total rebuild.  We need to get away from the "home run or no run" offense.  At this point we need to trade all the guys who are on their last year, and add Schoop to the list as well.  And as much as I love Buck, I think after this season we need to let him go and bring in a younger manager who is willing to be creative with the team.  

That all said...I think Buck is resigned to a new contract after Duke is let go when his contract expires this year, and we have more of the same for the next 3-5 years.  I have pretty much come to the realization that I will never see another World Series Champion in Baltimore in my lifetime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This OP and thread are prime examples of why it's good that fans don't run professional sports franchises.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, atomic said:

The team has been awful since the Ubaldo playoff fiasco and quit with a month to go in the season last year.   Buck is clearly not getting it done.  His pitching and hitting coaches don't seem to help anything. 

I really don't know what positive he brings to the club at this point.   

I would trade Machado and Schoop as well.   Time to change something.

And who do you replace him with?  Cal Jr?...no thanks. Me personally, I'd like to see Ron Washington get another chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I love Buck, and he's the second best manager in Orioles history behind Earl.

That said, he's too old school.  This team relies on sitting back and waiting for the home run ball.  There is no creativity to the offense.  The coaching staff doesn't appear to be able to make adjustments to improve the pitchers or hitters when they get into funks, and Buck is too loyal to his guys to ever take players' performance out on his coaching staff.  All in all, this team needs a total rebuild.  We need to get away from the "home run or no run" offense.  At this point we need to trade all the guys who are on their last year, and add Schoop to the list as well.  And as much as I love Buck, I think after this season we need to let him go and bring in a younger manager who is willing to be creative with the team.  

That all said...I think Buck is resigned to a new contract after Duke is let go when his contract expires this year, and we have more of the same for the next 3-5 years.  I have pretty much come to the realization that I will never see another World Series Champion in Baltimore in my lifetime. 

Problem is the ballpark platys to HR's and nothing else. It doesnt suit the lineup to play another way other than a high OBP approach like Boston, which requires a high payroll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

And who do you replace him with?  Cal Jr?...no thanks. Me personally, I'd like to see Ron Washington get another chance. 

Post game parties would be fun.¬¬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 4:33 PM, Going Underground said:

Completely disagree.I was looking at the weather charts with the guys from NOAA.We noticed a disturbing pattern. When the opposing team got up the winds were blowing out and when the Orioles came up winds were blowing in.It is charted in the FWIND baseball charts 

God really does hate the Orioles I guess. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 3:16 PM, Moose Milligan said:

BUCK!! HOW COME YOU AREN'T GETTING FIRST PLACE RESULTS OUT OF LAST PLACE TALENT!?!?!? What the hell are you DOING?!?!?  Why isn't TILLMAN pitching better?!?!  Why isn't Davis hitting?!?!? THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!! 

I get your point, and don't necessarily disagree, but Buck wanted both of these guys back.

I'm fine with Buck as field manager, but he needs to have a strong GM to ensure Buck doesn't make too many decision based off loyalty rather than skill.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 3:16 PM, Moose Milligan said:

BUCK!! HOW COME YOU AREN'T GETTING FIRST PLACE RESULTS OUT OF LAST PLACE TALENT!?!?!? What the hell are you DOING?!?!?  Why isn't TILLMAN pitching better?!?!  Why isn't Davis hitting?!?!? THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!! 

I partly agree with your sarcasm, but to say that Buck didn't provide at least some input in the construction of the current roster seems like a stretch to me. There have been a lot of bad signings (and roster decisions) on his watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

I love Buck, and he's the second best manager in Orioles history behind Earl.

That said, he's too old school.  This team relies on sitting back and waiting for the home run ball.  There is no creativity to the offense.  The coaching staff doesn't appear to be able to make adjustments to improve the pitchers or hitters when they get into funks, and Buck is too loyal to his guys to ever take players' performance out on his coaching staff.  All in all, this team needs a total rebuild.  We need to get away from the "home run or no run" offense.  At this point we need to trade all the guys who are on their last year, and add Schoop to the list as well.  And as much as I love Buck, I think after this season we need to let him go and bring in a younger manager who is willing to be creative with the team.  

That all said...I think Buck is resigned to a new contract after Duke is let go when his contract expires this year, and we have more of the same for the next 3-5 years.  I have pretty much come to the realization that I will never see another World Series Champion in Baltimore in my lifetime. 

This 100 time over. When you don't have a team that can manufacture runs you either hit home runs or you lose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This 100 time over. When you don't have a team that can manufacture runs you either hit home runs or you lose. 

We keep hearing from the GM how he values OBP,  yet we continually acquire players who do not have high OBPs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This 100 time over. When you don't have a team that can manufacture runs you either hit home runs or you lose. 

I think this team is under-utilizing the HBP as an offensive weapon.  Lean into two maybe three pitches a game and it could really jump start the scoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care about anything else except that Mike Wright and Chris Tillman are still on this team despite being objectively bad for the past two years. 

There's no excuse or valid reasoning behind it. Nothing else really matters. Start THERE. You improve the team immediately with better options in the minors. That's an easy and obvious first step, but they continue to do the wrong thing here.

I've basically lost interest on April 16 because it's clear they don't want to field the best possible team. Wright is no longer a prospect that you want to keep "just in case". Tillman is no longer able to play the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...