Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tex was truly a huge ordeal on here.  I can't believe that was 10 years ago.

That was when Trea wanted to have a lineup of Tex, Prince Fielder and any other first baseman at any position.

Got his wish 10 years later.  Except the 1B at various position don't hit and the O's are on pace for the worst record in team history. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, atomic said:

A rival GM said the Orioles weren't hanging up when they asked about Gausman and Bundy. I see no reason to keep Gausman and Bundy if you are doing a rebuild. 

I would keep Bundy unless got a great offer for him.  He is just as likely to get much better as get much worse.  His work ethic is good for others to witness.  I also think he sets a great example re: changing speeds and locating pitches.  

Gausman would be traded by me if I could get a top 50 piece plus.

43 minutes ago, atomic said:

A rival GM said the Orioles weren't hanging up when they asked about Gausman and Bundy. I see no reason to keep Gausman and Bundy if you are doing a rebuild. 

They would be fools if they didn't listen to offers for either of these guys.   But, it IS the Orioles we're talking about...

1 hour ago, ISU94 said:

It's 2 weeks prior to the deadline and 9:30 AM of the morning after of a reported agreement.

Calm down guys.

Honestly.     People here get so worked up over every little rumor or if things don’t happen instantly.    It is crystal clear to me that Manny will be in another uniform on Friday, and it really doesn’t matter to me whether it gets announced this morning or tomorrow afternoon, other than to satisfy my curiosity over what the return exactly is.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'm not sure if we're going to see a total rebuild. Knowing this Front Office, I think they're going to look at Bundy/Gausman/Cashner/Cobb and see a rotation that can compete. They're going to look at Hays, Mullins, and Mountcastle and see guys who can contribute and are ready. I think we see Jones resigned and another half-hearted shot at being relevant in 2019.

I could be totally wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

You could be right, and it would be consistent with what we've seen in the past few years.  My feeling is that the O's will be open to trading any or all of Bundy / Gausman / Cashner / Cobb (Bundy and Gausman are by far going to draw the most interest).  But they will not just trade to make a trade.  There could be some benefit to stability at SP, while the young positional prospects find their footing at the major league level. Less pressure on them if the SP can keep the team in games.    But I were the GM, I'd be shopping Bundy and Gausman proactively.

Dustin May scares me.  I see arm problems in his future unless he is just a reliever.  He has the same mechanic issues as Bundy that has led to his injuries.  I'd dump Bundy for this reason.  

I am intrigued by Errol Robinson.  If he develops, he could be a fun ballplayer to watch.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

At this point, there is no way we can run Manny back out onto the field on Friday. 

You'd be surprised.  Last time I checked, we're still paying him.  There is definitely a way he steps back out on the field for us on Friday.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me.

I feel like I'm in the middle of an awful, heart wrenching breakup.

2 minutes ago, JeepTJ12 said:

Dustin May scares me.  I see arm problems in his future unless he is just a reliever.  He has the same mechanic issues as Bundy that has led to his injuries.  I'd dump Bundy for this reason.  

I am intrigued by Errol Robinson.  If he develops, he could be a fun ballplayer to watch.

IF he develops?   He's 23 in AA with a .691 OPS in a decent hitter's league.  I think he's likely a good field, little hit middle infielder.   We probably have a few guys with his skill set in our minor league system right now.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

There has been at least 4-5 articles in the last week from Ken with this same stuff put in there.

We have heard Olney say the complete opposite about us.

So yes, I think there's good reason to question a guy that bashes us every chance he gets. It's annoying.

I mean, he’s quoting people in the article.    It’s not just him spouting his own opinions.    But honestly, I don’t care.    Just wake me up when we know what we got for Manny.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly.     People here get so worked up over every little rumor or if things don’t happen instantly.    It is crystal clear to me that Manny will be in another uniform on Friday, and it really doesn’t matter to me whether it gets announced this morning or tomorrow afternoon, other than to satisfy my curiosity over what the return exactly is.

I want it to be over for Manny. Dude has to be in LA for presser and then back out on the road for a game Friday. He will be going coast to coast.  We will probably trade him Friday at 4 pm or some dumb thing. 

5 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

You could be right, and it would be consistent with what we've seen in the past few years.  My feeling is that the O's will be open to trading any or all of Bundy / Gausman / Cashner / Cobb (Bundy and Gausman are by far going to draw the most interest).  But they will not just trade to make a trade.  There could be some benefit to stability at SP, while the young positional prospects find their footing at the major league level. Less pressure on them if the SP can keep the team in games.    But I were the GM, I'd be shopping Bundy and Gausman proactively.

Having played sports for a good part of my life, I really think a "trade-all-the-veterans-and-start-all-the-kids" scorched earth concept is a bad idea. Baseball players are humans and prospects are also very young humans. They need older guys to learn from.

We always hear about how O'Day is a big part of the bullpen. How Jones leads by example, even though he might not be the best player. I think those things are important.