Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

30 minutes ago, Orioles1954 said:

Roberto Clemente was a Rule 5 guy. Seriously, this thread has become weird, personal and somewhat creepy. I'll bow out, wait for an official announcement and leave the histrionics to others.

Different rules what classifies someone as a rule 5 in Clemente day.   Hard to get anyone with real potential in current format. 

1 minute ago, JeepTJ12 said:

He's still young.  A lot of things can happen especially with a team change.  I like speed and he has it.  He just needs to put a few things together.  As a package deal, it isn't a bad pickup to see what happens.

I think he's a nice added player.   I just don't know that he's going to be anything more than what he's shown thus far.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Going halfway last time worked well.

Resigning one guy isn't going halfway. There's 25 players on the roster. That's 1/25. That's 4%. 

Do the Orioles even have 25 guys in the minors who could be mildly competent in MLB right now? Teams can have a few veterans and still rebuild. It's not an all or nothing approach.

4 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Who is the better prospect, 2017 Willie Calhoun or 2018 Yusniel Diaz?  Who would you rather have right now?

Willie can flat out hit and is more polished, but way less of a defender than Diaz. Willie is a borderline DH at this point.

Who right now? Depends on the team needs, but Diaz is probably a year or two out while Calhoun you would call up immediately.

To expand a bit, look at the fangraphs scouting reports and you will notice a major perception difference between Calhoun's hitting ability (in terms of both contact and power) vs Diaz. There is some concern about Calhoun's attitude though.

Diaz - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa912848&position=OF

Calhoun - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=17838&position=OF

Edited by laxtonto

31 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'm not sure if we're going to see a total rebuild. Knowing this Front Office, I think they're going to look at Bundy/Gausman/Cashner/Cobb and see a rotation that can compete. They're going to look at Hays, Mullins, and Mountcastle and see guys who can contribute and are ready. I think we see Jones resigned and another half-hearted shot at being relevant in 2019.

I could be totally wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

To be relevant, we would probably need an infield, too.

36 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

There has been at least 4-5 articles in the last week from Ken with this same stuff put in there.

We have heard Olney say the complete opposite about us.

So yes, I think there's good reason to question a guy that bashes us every chance he gets. It's annoying.

I couldn't agree more. He takes shots whenever given the opportunity and sometimes when he's not given the opportunity, he creates one. He was one of the biggest bashers when the medicals nixed the Balfour deal.... and when they were proven correct was he a stand up guy and admit that he was wrong...no it was more like even a broken clock is right twice a day. He is not alone. I breeze through more than half these posts because they are the same old thing by the same old posters who do nothing but bash the FO, DD, Buck, Brady and PA. It's just a complete waste of time. We all get it...you don't have to include it in every two or three posts. It doesn't add anything to the conversation and makes large threads unreadable. This board is a good resource but certain posters really negatively affect it by posting the same thing over and over and over. I guess that's how you rack up thousands of posts.

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

Resigning one guy isn't going halfway. There's 25 players on the roster. That's 1/25. That's 4%. 

Do the Orioles even have 25 guys in the minors who could be mildly competent in MLB right now? Teams can have a few veterans and still rebuild. It's not an all or nothing approach.

Extending Jones would be a mistake.

We are stuck with O'Day.  Not sure how much he can lead from the DL.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, joelala said:

I see no similarity in their arm action.  Dylan comes pretty straight over the top and May has more of a 3/4 slot. Could you elaborate?

Timing issues with front foot plant and shoulder opening.

May also keeps his hand on top of the ball going into his planting of front foot which is similar to Matt Harvey's.  That will be his bigger downfall IMO.

4 minutes ago, JeepTJ12 said:

Timing issues with front foot plant and shoulder opening.

May also keeps his hand on top of the ball going into his planting of front foot which is similar to Matt Harvey's.  That will be his bigger downfall IMO.

Gotcha, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Extending Jones would be a mistake.

We are stuck with O'Day.  Not sure how much he can lead from the DL.

I would in favor of re-signing Jones (more so than extending) provided he would happily move to RF, but with Diaz added to Mullins, Stewart, Hays, Santander, etc. I think the more pressing need for spending would be in the infield. Adding a good fielding SS would be more important to help the development of some pitchers than someone like Jones in the OF.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

A rival GM said the Orioles weren't hanging up when they asked about Gausman and Bundy. I see no reason to keep Gausman and Bundy if you are doing a rebuild. 

You don't have to keep them, but you don't have to trade them right now, either. With multiple years of control left, you can move them over an offseason just as easily. Too many rental pieces to be sold right now to commit a ton of resources to dealing guys that are under control. If someone calls and has a great sales pitch, hey, let's talk. But they don't need to aggressively shop them right now.

• Upvote 1