weams

2018 3rd Rd (87) Blaine Knight - RHP-Arkansas

1 minute ago, hoosiers said:

Hopefully, we have an overslot guy ready to sign if we free up $500+ or so for the guy and another if there is $250k to give.

I doubt we are negotiating for much savings on Knight's slot since our SD already is on record saying Knight was nearly a first day pick.  IMO, the guy to really squeeze would have been Grenier. A lot easier to generate bigger savings if the slot is $1.9M than if slot is $875k or similar.

Hopefully, we are in on Killian and just have to worry about how much penalty/tax we are paying there.

Yeah, I don't think he'll be underslot at all and I wouldn't be surprised if he was overslot. 

If they pay him slot, they'd have about 550K to offer any of the unsigned later round picks without going into the tax penalty. The only guys who appear to be worth those bonuses are Kilian, Iser, and Cecconi (who has much much bigger demands and isn't signing). Grammes is probably worth 200K, but I doubt he signs for that and he's probably not worth what it'd take to sign him. I don't know enough about Brehmer. 

5 minutes ago, Mountain Bird said:

It would have been nice to have some leftovers for overslots.

He is an overslot.

I'm not sold on post 10th round bonus babies.

• Upvote 1

Either the kid has a good agent or this is what was expected to pay to sign him.  Our scouting director was very, very happy to find Knight there with this pick so we will have to see.  This SD has routinely selected players who should have gone earlier and I hope that is the case here.

If we try to sign Killian, it will likely be with overslot $ that will be taxed - which seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He is an overslot.

I'm not sold on post 10th round bonus babies.

From what I have seen, Knight could become a very good pick. If he adds some bulk he may become something special.

I love the fact that he didn’t lose a game despite going head to head with many touted starters.    I’ll bet he moves fast through our system.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I love the fact that he didn’t lose a game despite going head to head with many touted starters.    I’ll bet he moves fast through our system.

He is scarily similar in results in college to Kevin Gausman...big time season in SEC...hopefully moves into rotation quickly. 

9 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Signs for 1.1 Million

Thank God.  Good to see the O's finally do something right.  He's the player in this year's draft I have the highest hopes for.  I'm sure Grayson is talented, but its a long way from high school to the majors for pitchers and the O's recent record with high school pitchers has been abysmal.

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Thank God.  Good to see the O's finally do something right.  He's the player in this year's draft I have the highest hopes for.  I'm sure Grayson is talented, but its a long way from high school to the majors for pitchers and the O's recent record with high school pitchers has been abysmal.

Bundy has done OK.  Harvey has been hurt, are you blaming the O's for that?  Hall seems to be progressing fine.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bundy has done OK.  Harvey has been hurt, are you blaming the O's for that?  Hall seems to be progressing fine.

I'm not blaming the O's for that, they just have terrible luck with high school pitchers.  Loewen, Riley, Erbe, etc.  I can't blame the O's for Harvey, but he's always been hurt.