hoosiers

Ryan Mountcastle 2018

48 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I always wondered why the assumption seemed to be that his arm wasn't going to get stronger - considering he was young and expected to get a lot bigger.  

He could get a lot bigger and stronger, but arm strength isn't as cut and dry as, say, adding weight to a bench press.

Pitchers train hard to add even 2 mph to their fastball, but you have the players that aren't big at all who can sling it. Look at Miguel Castro. Guy looks like a walking "we need to force feed him" ad, but he can throw the ball hard and fast.

16 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He could get a lot bigger and stronger, but arm strength isn't as cut and dry as, say, adding weight to a bench press.

Pitchers train hard to add even 2 mph to their fastball, but you have the players that aren't big at all who can sling it. Look at Miguel Castro. Guy looks like a walking "we need to force feed him" ad, but he can throw the ball hard and fast.

Not by bench press - but being "projectible" as they say - having a frame that's going to likely naturally get bigger.  

He's listed at 6'3 195, but when he's fully filled out, isn't he going to be probably 225 or so?  And as you get bigger, it generally follows you get stronger and can throw harder. 

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Not by bench press - but being "projectible" as they say - having a frame that's going to likely naturally get bigger.  

He's listed at 6'3 195, but when he's fully filled out, isn't he going to be probably 225 or so?  And as you get bigger, it generally follows you get stronger and can throw harder. 

He may well throw a bit harder now than he did when we drafted him at 18 — I certainly hope so!    At the same time, everything’s relative.    He had a weak arm for an 18 year old kid compared to his peers, and now he has a weak arm for a 21 year old kid compared to his peers.    And chances are pretty good that they’ve done about as much as they can to strengthen his arm by now, and it is what it is. I’m not expecting much improvement from here.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

@Frobby Hit it on the head. He can develop, but so is everyone else. Some people have a naturally strong arm. Some don't. No amount of "building up" will put in what was left out. He can try and enhance his mechanics a bit to gain a slight edge, but his mechanics already seemed as good as he would get.

One's ability to throw a baseball hard is a product of multiple variables (in no particular order).

1. Lever length and mechanic advantage of tendon attachments

2. Mechanics

3. Structural integrity of the body parts involved

4. Functional mobility of the joints involved

5. Strength/power to create arm speed (more about legs/torso than upper body) and then decelerate the body at release. 

• Thanks 1

I'll try one more time, because I don't think folks understood my point.  Some players have projectable frames that can significant weight, and some don't.  He does.  He's listed at 195 (probably an outdated weight), and my guess is he'll be around 225 when he's in the majors.  With that added weight generally comes added strength.  Again, not everyone has a frame like his that's going to add 30 pounds, so he's not in the same position as everyone else.  It's the same logic used with pitching prospects who are "projectable".  They're expected to throw harder as they gain weight.  Some are much more projectable than others.  Why wouldn't the same concept be used for positional players?     

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'll try one more time, because I don't think folks understood my point.  Some players have projectable frames that can significant weight, and some don't.  He does.  He's listed at 195 (probably an outdated weight), and my guess is he'll be around 225 when he's in the majors.  With that added weight generally comes added strength.  Again, not everyone has a frame like his that's going to add 30 pounds, so he's not in the same position as everyone else.  It's the same logic used with pitching prospects who are "projectable".  They're expected to throw harder as they gain weight.  Some are much more projectable than others.  Why wouldn't the same concept be used for positional players?     

His arm is more of a dexterity thing, than a strength issue. I've seen him play multiple times and his throws are the worst I've seen from any left side of the infield prospect. He just doesn't have the dexterity, IMHO, to be able to succeed at any infield position other than first base. It's just how it is, unfortunately

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Ryan is very strong, and likely to get a little bigger as most men do. My son has worked out with him on occasion with a personal trainer. Ryan is a beast in the gym.

There is something to what you speak of. Pitchers, like Blaine Knight, who are thin are often projected to get bigger and stronger. And yes, they can add some velo, but it isn’t usually much. It’s my understanding they need to get a bit bigger and stronger to help them have endurance through the long season and maintain their velo deeper. As far as Ryan, it is not a strength issue. It is mechanical issues and flexibility to me. 

Ryan used to throw with an awkward short arm motion and he would seemingly decelerate his arm just before release. His follow through was not good at all. So, mechanically, it was poor. The Orioles have tried to help him change his mechanics, but that is easier said than done. Some guys just cannot do it with any success. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2018 at 3:52 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Exactly. I'm sure every muscle in Tim Tebow's body is stronger than Pedro Martinez's muscles in Pedro's prime, but...

11 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Exactly. I'm sure every muscle in Tim Tebow's body is stronger than Pedro Martinez's muscles in Pedro's prime, but...

Arm strength itself was not Tebow's real issue.  Was more his delivery and release.  He could put mustard on balls.

8 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Arm strength itself was not Tebow's real issue.  Was more his delivery and release.  He could put mustard on balls.

Mustard? Tebow can put mustard on a hotdog, but not on a throw from the outfield.  Have you seen him throw a baseball? Very disappointing. 

But we agree about arm strength...Tebow was and is much stronger than Pedro. I'm sure he can curl, extend, etc., way, way more weight than Pedro Martinez could in his prime. I was discussing whether or not baseball players can throw better by getting bigger, stronger, "filling out". Raw strength is not usually the problem. 

Mountcastle continues to hit. Does he get called up this summer? Does he have a shot (maybe a long one) of being the Orioles 3B on opening day 2019? 

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Mountcastle continues to hit. Does he get called up this summer? Does he have a shot (maybe a long one) of being the Orioles 3B on opening day 2019? 

Good to see him raking like he is, but I hope he stays in the minors the rest of this season and the start of the next.  No reason at all to start his service time clock.  They made that mistake with Hays last year, granted under much different circumstances surrounding the big league club and its direction.

13 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Good to see him raking like he is, but I hope he stays in the minors the rest of this season and the start of the next.  No reason at all to start his service time clock.  They made that mistake with Hays last year, granted under much different circumstances surrounding the big league club and its direction.

I would emphasize what is best for development over service time. The service time clock almost never plays out as predicted (the majority, maybe even vast majority of prospects are just not that valuable at the end of the service time clock and the prospects who develop into good players who stick typically stick pretty quickly).