Frobby

GCL Oriole Notes 2018

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Nice combined 3 hit shutout for 2018 draftees Drew Rom, Yeancarlos Lleras and Jake Zebron today.     Rom starter it out by allowing a hit and two walks in 3 IP, striking out two.    Lleras went 2.1 innings, allowing a hit and four walks, and left with the bases loaded.   Zebron came in, got a pop out and a ground out to escape that jam, and finished out the game, going 3.2 innings, allowing one hit, and striking out two.   

Lleras’ day was a bit of an adventure, as in addition to the hit and four walks, he hit a batter and another reached on an error.   He escaped a bases loaded one out jam in the fourth, and Zebron bailed him out of the same situation in the sixth.    

What Zebron and Rom have been doing is quite impressive. 

Zebron has thrown 27.1 innings with a 2.63 ERA and a K/BB of almost 4.

Rom has thrown 27.2 innings with a 1.95 ERA and a K/BB of 5.

Both are 18 years old.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

What Zebron and Rom have been doing is quite impressive. 

Zebron has thrown 27.1 innings with a 2.63 ERA and a K/BB of almost 4.

Rom has thrown 27.2 innings with a 1.95 ERA and a K/BB of 5.

Both are 18 years old.

Yeah, very happy with both.   And Zebron’s an 18th rounder!

Lleras has been shaky, but he’s even younger than the other two, having turned 18 onky last month (officially this is his age 17 season).    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, very happy with both.   And Zebron’s an 18th rounder!

Lleras has been shaky, but he’s even younger than the other two, having turned 18 onky last month (officially this is his age 17 season).    

With Lleras you have to wonder how much he even pitched competitively this spring with the aftermath of the hurricane. I couldn’t find any 2018 video. Either way, he’s raw and he’s young enough to repeat the GCL and not be behind.

Rodriguez has had trouble throwing strikes, but the stuff is good enough to be worth following. I don't love the delivery, but he's 6' 7" so it could be worse, tall guys sometimes are slower to develop.

• Upvote 2

So, the GCL O’s ended their abysmal 2018 campaign today, losing 5-1 to finish at 13-42 (.236 winning percentage).   Looking at today’s lineup, they played four hitters batting under .200, and another three batting under .225.   What a pathetic excuse for a team this was.    They had a few pitchers of interest but were pitiful at the plate.    The two players hitting over .225 today were Juan Montes, a 23-year old who took four years to get out of the DSL, and Jared Gates, a 22-year old signed as a free agent after nobody chose him in the 2018 draft.

The pitchers of interest included 1st rounder Grayson Rodriguez (0.93 ERA), 4th rounder Drew Rom (1.40), 2016 20th rounder Yelin Rodriguez (1.63 ERA, still only 19), 32nd rounder Jayvien Sandridge (2.00), and 18th rounder Jake Zebron (2.93).    I’m sure there are some others who struggled this year but who may catch our attention next year (like Yeancarlos Lleras, our 6th rounder who is only 17 and posted an 8.31 ERA).    

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the O's lack of participation in the International Market hits the GCL team particularly hard.

No question.   But this level of ineptitude is unprecedented.  Last year they were 28-32.   The year before, 27-32.

On 8/14/2018 at 7:51 PM, Luke-OH said:

With Lleras you have to wonder how much he even pitched competitively this spring with the aftermath of the hurricane. I couldn’t find any 2018 video. Either way, he’s raw and he’s young enough to repeat the GCL and not be behind.

That's an interesting point.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:22 PM, Luke-OH said:

Rodriguez has had trouble throwing strikes, but the stuff is good enough to be worth following. I don't love the delivery, but he's 6' 7" so it could be worse, tall guys sometimes are slower to develop.

I don't like that frontside at all, needs to get more compact and pull that glove hand into his armpit to get better direction in his stride.  Landing on the heel a bit too.  Arm shows real life though too.  I'd either simplify the windup so there is less head movement, less moving parts all together, or go strictly to stretch for a while.

• Upvote 1

I saw Yelin Rodriguez's outing yesterday and definitely saw some potential. He has 2 plus pitches , in my opinion, his changeup and curve. He does most of his damage with the off speed stuff, gets a lot of very ugly swings with the curve ball and uses his fastball which topped out at 91 to keep hitters honest. He will need to have very good command with the fastball, but at his age of 19. he does turn 20 later in the year, he could add a tick or 2. He seemed to have a good understanding of pitching and works quickly. He'll be worth watching as he gets into the higher levels. but there might be another Rodriguez for the O's fans to be aware of

• Upvote 4