Sign in to follow this  
DocJJ

How To Destroy a MLB Franchise in 10 Easy Steps by Dan Duquette

Chapter 1:  Overvaluing the Home Run.

Chapter 2: Trading away Future Building Blocks-  Case Studies: Josh Hader, Eduardo Rodriguez, Jake Arietta, Zach Davies

Chapter 3: Completely Ignoring Asian, Cuban and other Latin American Markets

Chapter 4: Trading International Signing Pool money for extra baseballs

Chapter 5: Failing to Recognize the One Hit Wonders: Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo

Chapter 6: Failing to Sign Young Superstar Talent to Contract Extensions

Chapter 7: Holding on to Superstar Talent too long to Get Decent Return in Trade

Chapter 8: Signing Mediocre Free Agents Instead of Star Talent: Eschewing Otani for Cashner

Chapter 9: Allowing a Former Player with No Business, Scouting, or Front Office Experience to Have a Say in Things

Chapter 10:  Saddling Your Team with the Worst Contract in the History of Professional Sports

I hope we torch the entire franchise, blow it up, and start from ground zero, starting with the GM.  (It would be nice if the owner would sell, too...)

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Chapter 2: Trading away Future Building Blocks-  Case Studies: Josh Hader, Eduardo Rodriguez, Jake Arietta, Zach Davies

Chapter 5: Failing to Recognize the One Hit Wonders: Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo

Chapter 7: Holding on to Superstar Talent too long to Get Decent Return in Trade

Chapter 8: Signing Mediocre Free Agents Instead of Star Talent: Eschewing Otani for Cashner

Chapter 9: Allowing a Former Player with No Business, Scouting, or Front Office Experience to Have a Say in Things

Chapter 10:  Saddling Your Team with the Worst Contract in the History of Professional Sports

I hope we torch the entire franchise, blow it up, and start from ground zero, starting with the GM.  (It would be nice if the owner would sell, too...)

We have singed a lot of Asian players. I think DD is not allowed to spend real money on Latin America players orders from above.

Most of these are Peter Angelos decisions.  I think it is comical that you list #9.  Like DD wants Brady involved in the decision making. 

• Like 1

I thought Duquette was doing a decent job before he lost power. The signing of Chris Davis, by most accounts, not his idea, is when he effectively became a relatively powerless GM.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gtown said:

I thought Duquette was doing a decent job before he lost power. The signing of Chris Davis, by most accounts, not his idea, is when he effectively became a relatively powerless GM.

More than decent, 5 years of the best record in the AL, ALDS and ALCS visits.

Your right about powerless, I think it started after the Toronto incident, his power started eroding.

The prevailing sentiment is that he's just a puppet to Angelos who is really calling all the shots.   What evidence do you have of this?   I know Angelos has been overly meddlesome in the past.   I'm not discounting the possibility that Duquette is just his puppet, but I haven't heard anything that really substantiates that.   

All of the items listed were organizational moves orchestrated and carried out with Duquette as GM, and all of them have destroyed the franchise.   

Just now, DocJJ said:

The prevailing sentiment is that he's just a puppet to Angelos who is really calling all the shots.   What evidence do you have of this?   I know Angelos has been overly meddlesome in the past.   I'm not discounting the possibility that Duquette is just his puppet, but I haven't heard anything that really substantiates that.   

All of the items listed were organizational moves orchestrated and carried out with Duquette as GM, and all of them have destroyed the franchise.   

And the 5 year run of success was the combination of the foundation laid by his predecessor.   No way Duquette should get any credit for that...

Just now, DocJJ said:

And the 5 year run of success was the combination of the foundation laid by his predecessor and the drafting of Machado.   No way Duquette should get any credit for that...

1 minute ago, DocJJ said:

And the 5 year run of success was the combination of the foundation laid by his predecessor.   No way Duquette should get any credit for that...

Horse Hockey,

You can not give Andy all the credit, nor can you give DD all the credit.

Andy started the rebuild, and got Sarasota started, got Buck hired, and then DD came in and made some good decisions, and added additional pieces.

No GM will ever be 100% perfect in making difficult personnel decisions.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Ohtani wanted to be on the west coast and bat. Os had no chance. W/O Miller the O's don't get past Det in 2014 cause they were in on him too. Brady is a PA guy and I seriously doubt DD gave him that position. Does DD get some blame? No doubt. But IMO, the majority falls on PA, Brady and Buck.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Horse Hockey,

You can not give Andy all the credit, nor can you give DD all the credit.

Andy started the rebuild, and got Sarasota started, got Buck hired, and then DD came in and made some good decisions, and added additional pieces.

No GM will ever be 100% perfect in making difficult personnel decisions.

Agree with your last sentence.   No GM will ever be 100% right about all his decisions.   But looking at all of the moves made while he was GM and I'd say almost 100% have been wrong!    I give all the credit for the 2012-2014 success to MacPhail.    Duquette wasn't even in the picture yet when that team was assembled.    They added Nelson Cruz (perhaps his one good move during his entire tenure as GM) the rest was MacPhail's team...

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Schoop, and Mancini was brought here by who?

Several other prospects in the system were under DD's watch.

The GM has nothing to do with the draft, other than hiring the National Cross Checker.

http://www.espn.com/blog/the-gms-office/insider/post?id=185

And for the record, Bundy was selected during MacPhail's tenure and Harvey hasn't accomplished anything in professional baseball.

42 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Ridiculous. He inherited a destroyed franchise with a crazy owner and took us to the playoffs i spite of that.

• Upvote 2