Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Notes on the Delmarva Shorebirds 6/30-7/3: DL Hall, Hanifee, Bishop, etc

Not the most encouraging report I’ve ever read.    What fascinates me about Hanifee is his consistent ability to pitch deep into games.   He’s thrown 89 innings in 15 starts, and has reached 7 IP in 6 of 15 starts.    In one of his starts he only pitched one inning due to a rain delay — omit that one and he’s averaging 6.28 IP/start.    That’s really rare for a 20-year old kid at Delmarva.    I hope he keeps working on those secondaries.   

• Upvote 1

Vespi is a guy who seems to have a higher ceiling. Is there much effort to the mechanics? Just wondering why he isn’t starting any longer. The velo being lower than I remember may be an issue, unless this year is all about getting the arm stronger and the mechanics consistent.

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Vespi is a guy who seems to have a higher ceiling. Is there much effort to the mechanics? Just wondering why he isn’t starting any longer. The velo being lower than I remember may be an issue, unless this year is all about getting the arm stronger and the mechanics consistent.

They have him working from the stretch, even when no one on base and they’ve had him significantly reduce the mid-delivery pause that he used to do, so maybe he’s just getting used to the mechanical changes? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ScGO's said:

How is Carillo's defense behind the dish?

Good for Low A, still some work to be MLB average, I think he’ll get there though, not sure he’ll hit, right now he looks like a guy who won’t even hit many doubles, much less home runs. 

Great job Luke.  I find the assessment in line with what I saw particularly your take on Bishop. Good to see he added a couple of ticks but I think all radar guns these days are faster than when I played.  I don’t see why they overslotted him personally.  Wish you caught one of Dietz’s outings.  Looks like he’s not pitching as well as he did and hoped to find out what’s going on.  I liked what I saw from carillo, thought he had some promise. I particularly liked the way he took command of the staff and didn’t hesitate to get out there when he saw a pitcher starting to struggle.  Other than that I didn’t see much in Delmarva that inspired me granted I missed Dietz, Vespi, and Hanifee oh and Hall.

Edited by Punchandjudy

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not the most encouraging report I’ve ever read.    What fascinates me about Hanifee is his consistent ability to pitch deep into games.   He’s thrown 89 innings in 15 starts, and has reached 7 IP in 6 of 15 starts.    In one of his starts he only pitched one inning due to a rain delay — omit that one and he’s averaging 6.28 IP/start.    That’s really rare for a 20-year old kid at Delmarva.    I hope he keeps working on those secondaries.   

Yeah, I try not to sugarcoat things, these guys are in A ball so most have things they need to improve. That’s ok for the guys 21 and under, for the older guys it can be a red flag.

For Hall and Hanifee though, as pitchers at 19 and 20 respectively, man I absolutely love what they are doing. Hall’s arm speed was great, I mean to be dropping an insane CB and 97mph his last two pitches is darn impressive. The change is coming along, and the command will too, he’s an athletic dude, he’s just still a teenager. For Hanifee, the control he has is very impressive, and at the velocity he was showing the other day, the fastball is a true weapon. The slider has improved from last season and he’s throwing the changeup more, he just turned 20. 

Both of these guys are studs, and I’d be surprised if both aren’t top 100 prospects at some point.

Bishop even looked better than earlier season and much better than a terrible spring report someone passed along to me. It may be an Akin thing where he came in quite out of shape, a couple more ticks and he’s back to being a good prospect for me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Punchandjudy said:

Great job Luke.  I find the assessment in line with what I saw particularly your take on Bishop. Good to see he added a couple of ticks but I think all radar guns these days are faster than when I played.  I don’t see why they overslotted him personally.  Wish you caught one of Dietz’s outings.  Looks like he’s not pitching as well as he did and hoped to find out what’s going on.  I liked what I saw from carillo, thought he had some promise. I particularly liked the way he took command of the staff and didn’t hesitate to get out there when he saw a pitcher starting to struggle.  Other than that I didn’t see much in Delmarva that inspired me granted I missed Dietz, Vespi, and Hanifee. 

Yeah, the last Dietz outing I caught was in the midst of his really strong stretch and he looked great.

But his delivery is such (stiff, robotic) that he seems prone to getting out of whack mechanically, I’d guess that’s what has been going on, I think he’s going to just be a year or so behind other guys in his development, since he was drafted out of CC but was more raw than most HS players picked that highly.

Just now, El_Duderino said:

Saw Hanifee got some love from Keith Law.

I read it, he's seen a better changeup than I have and a curveball, I've seen better velocity. As I wrote before, I expect him to be a top 100 type eventually as his secondaries come along. Plus delivery, plus athleticism, potential for plus command at maturity.