Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 7/20/2018 at 03:59

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Not sure why we are discussing the Cubs.  There are several teams that are considerably better trade partners for the Orioles regarding Britton, IMO.

We're discussing the Cubs because their closer just wen on the DL for second time in the last few months. Plus, they've been linked to Britton. 

3 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Chavis would be a tremendous get...even with that past suspension and all.

I tend to agree. With Devers being only 21, Chavis seems like me might be pretty expendable too. The question is whether or not the suspension has dropped his stock enough for him to be a realistic target (for Britton). Tough to say...

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I tend to agree. With Devers being only 21, Chavis seems like me might be pretty expendable too. The question is whether or not the suspension has dropped his stock enough for him to be a realistic target (for Britton). Tough to say...

Another factor to consider is how much PEDs might have impacted his rank in the first place.  I don't know the story (so maybe it wasn't a definitive test or something), but that would scare me a bit.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We're discussing the Cubs because their closer just wen on the DL for second time in the last few months. Plus, they've been linked to Britton. 

I don't see them as a good trade partner for the Orioles.  Other teams have better prospects available, as well as a more acute need for Britton.  Sure, the Cubs could surprise me and offer up something of real value for Britton, but I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They were talking about having him learn 1B to get up quicker prior to the season. Now, who knows.

Just now, jerios55 said:

Another factor to consider is how much PEDs might have impacted his rank in the first place.  I don't know the story (so maybe it wasn't a definitive test or something), but that would scare me a bit.

Sure, but he was a 1st round pick and always had large tools coming up. Gotta just trust DD and co. on this one I think.

26 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't see them as a good trade partner for the Orioles.  Other teams have better prospects available, as well as a more acute need for Britton.  Sure, the Cubs could surprise me and offer up something of real value for Britton, but I doubt it.

I was simply looking at it from a needs perspective. I know their farm system's thin...it's up to them to decide if someone on the MLB roster (like Happ) might be expendable. Probably a reach, but when your closer (who's never been a closer before) hits the DL for a second time who knows. 

26 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

The Giants are an interesting addition. I'm not sure we've really looked at their top prospects. They only had one in the top 100 at the start of the season. 

Heliot Ramos | Rank: 69 (Preseason: 63)

Team: Augusta GreenJackets (A)ETA: 2021Position: OFAge: 18 DOB: 09/07/1999Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 2" Weight: 185 lb.Drafted: 2017, 1st (19) - SFOther Lists: Top 30 San Francisco Giants Prospects (#1)

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55

Ramos starred on the high school showcase circuit, winning MVP honors at the Under Armour All-America Game in July 2016 and wowing scouts when he ran a 6.42-second 60-yard dash at the Excellence Games a month before the 2017 Draft. He offered one of the best power/speed combinations available, which prompted the Giants to draft him 19th overall and sign him for $3,101,700. He continued to perform well in his pro debut, leading the Rookie-level Arizona League in slugging (.645) and finishing second in batting (.348) and OPS (1.049).

While he needs a few years of development time, Ramos has the highest ceiling of any Giants prospect since Buster Posey. His bat speed and strength generate well-above-average power from the right side of the plate, and he already shows the ability to drive the ball out of the park to all fields. Part of an athletic family that includes brothers in the Dodgers system (Henry, an outfielder) and on Puerto Rico's national soccer team (Hector), Heliot has at least plus speed as well as solid arm strength.

The biggest question with Ramos is whether he can develop a more patient approach and make consistent contact so he can realize his offensive potential. He also needs to refine his reads and routes in order to stay in center field. Time is on his side, as he'll play the entire 2018 season at age 18.

36 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The Cubs offered up Gleyber Torres +++ to rent a closer two years ago. 

Seems like a team the O's should be interested in chatting with. :shrug:

2 minutes ago, davearm said:

The Cubs offered up Gleyber Torres +++ to rent a closer two years ago. 

Seems like a team the O's should be interested in chatting with. :shrug:

Sure, again, if the Cubs surprisingly offer something of real value, you listen.  I'm not saying we shouldn't answer the phone if they call.  I just doubt that there is any fruit to be had from that tree.  Other teams have both a greater need for Britton and more available assets to offer than the Cubs do, IMO.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't see how Britton isn't traded to the Cubs or Phillies. Those are the two teams that should value him most because they would more then likely to use him as a closer. 

Anyone have the skinny on Gamboa (young SS in the Phillies' system). He's young and raw, but it sounds like he has a high ceiling. Sounds like the perfect player/lottery ticket for us to target. 

"In terms of raw tools, Gamboa rates higher than rookie shortstop J.P. Crawford and might end up with similar offensive tools to those of Scott Kingery. He's a long way away from reaching that ceiling, but the Phillies are confident he's starting to figure it out." - MLB.com

Gamboa wouldn't be the lottery ticket. He ranks around 8th in their system. I guess I'd take him but I would look for a better SS candidate. Most "RAW" guys don't make it.

Your lottery ticket in the deal would be a guy like Maton, J Guzman or someone younger and outside their top 30.

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Sure, again, if the Cubs surprisingly offer something of real value, you listen.  I'm not saying we shouldn't answer the phone if they call.  I just doubt that there is any fruit to be had from that tree.  Other teams have both a greater need for Britton and more available assets to offer than the Cubs do, IMO.

Do you want to talk with a team with a long list of great prospects and a stingy GM?

Or a team with a thin list of prospects and an aggressive GM?

The answer is both.  It's not as though the Cubs simply can't put forth a competitive offer here.  Every team in MLB can.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Black Bat said:

The poster Tryptamine has a bit more intimate knowledge of the Cubs farm clubs and offered his insight and believes they have more than enough to get the Britton deal done - see below:

Based  on return the Os got from the Dodgers I don't think they want MLB ready guys and I knowing how ridiculously strenuous the  medicals are you can definitely write off number of guys. Anyways, if I'm the Orioles I'm asking for Miguel Amaya 19 year old catcher in A ball who has a cannon for an arm and pitching framing beyond his years. He's also flashing quite a bit of power for a 19 year old already having 12HR. The 2nd prospect I go risky on and pick lefty Brailyn Marquez. I say risky only because he's a pitcher and he's pitching in short season A ball so he's still a ways away. With that said, kid has electric stuff following a rise velocity that has seen him touch 97. He's striking out just over 12/ 9.

Good find, BB.  And...good prospect-hunting, Tryptamine.    I'd like to take chances on guys like this than some 24 year-old in AA ball who's having his best season ever.   It makes more sense from a "rebuilding" standpoint.