Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 7/20/2018 at 03:59

Just now, ScGO's said:

What is Amaya's defense like? He seems to be having a pretty decent offensive year

Very strong arm, started the year very uncharacteristically struggling to throw men out, but the Cubs brought someone in and since then he's killing it. He's supposed to be an excellent pitch framer given his young age, since pitch framing is usually one of the last skills a catcher is polishing before make his graduation to the big leagues.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

What is Amaya's defense like? He seems to be having a pretty decent offensive year

He is known for his defense and that's why he was highly heralded. Hence why I'm such a fan considering the offensive output he's showing in A ball at 19...

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

It is, but it's not so weak that we couldn't get a solid return on Britton. If we were talking Machado or someone that requires a definite top 100 prospect than sure, but guys like Amaya and Marquez are on there way, and they have some other solid guys that aren't as risky like Lange and Alzholay. 

I also liked Albertos's upside coming but man is he walking people like crazy. Just 19 with big upside but that's a pretty big red flag.

Seeing that the indians set the tone for the market, I think lotto tickets will be the name of the game this go round. Plus what Familia is going for, we'll likely not see a blue chip guy, but one with almost no floor and lot of upside. 

1 hour ago, davearm said:

Who do you consider the Cubs' top 5?

Azolay, Ademan, De La Crus, Albertos, Little

44 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

If a guy is on the cusp but hasn't accumulated time yet that's fine... he'd still be here in 3-4 years. They aren't going to win anything with an all-rookie team.

I'm okay with a guy at AA now that will possibly spend half or all of next year at AAA. Just my preference.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Would Cubs give up Aramis Ademan for Britton?  SS who is blocked? Seems intriguing, 19 years old at A+ ball.

Having a Mendoza level year at A+ level with the bat. Has a ton of errors 16 ...51 in 3 seasons and a .940 fielding percentage. He's their #2 rated prospect that says tons about how poor their system is right noe especially offensive players.

Id look for a better trade partner unless he's the 2nd or 3rd guy. The potential is nice but the risk is very high IMO

Plus they want Adam Jones

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That's what I suspected.  All of these preseason lists are stale by this time, but none more so than the Cubs'.  I'm not sure any of those guys would be in today's top 5.

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm okay with a guy at AA now that will possibly spend half or all of next year at AAA. Just my preference.

This is what BA has at midseason

1. Miguel Amaya(C)-19 and killing it in A

2.Adbert Alzolay(SP)- Out for the season with an oblique injury

3. Aramis Ademan(SS)-Struggling in A+where he's extremely young, but it was probably too aggressive a promotion

4. Nico Hoerner(SS)-Cubs 2018 1st round pick, was tearing it up until he hurt his elbow, he's done for the rest of minor league season.

5. David Bote(UTIL)- Plays all infield positions other than SS and really playing well in limited exposure for the Cubs

6. Alex Lange(SP)- Developed a change to go with his Curve and  Fastball and looks very good

7.Keegan Thompson(SP)

8.Brendon Little(SP)- One outing he looks fantastic the next not so much, he's following a crazy every other pattern for a while now

9.Oscar de la Cruz(SP)- Can't stay healthy and after this suspension I'm ready to call him a pen arm.

10.Richard Gallardo(SP)- BA's #6 overall prospect from the July 2nd international kids who signed just a few weeks ago

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, davearm said:

That's what I suspected.  All of these preseason lists are stale by this time, but none more so than the Cubs'.  I'm not sure any of those guys would be in today's top 5.

Who do you have?

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

This is what BA has at midseason

1. Miguel Amaya(C)-19 and killing it in A

2.Adbert Alzolay(SP)- Out for the season with an oblique injury

3. Aramis Ademan(SS)-Struggling in A+where he's extremely young, but it was probably too aggressive a promotion

4. Nico Hoerner(SS)-Cubs 2018 1st round pick, was tearing it up until he hurt his elbow, he's done for the rest of minor league season.

5. David Bote(UTIL)- Plays all infield positions other than SS and really playing well in limited exposure for the Cubs

6. Alex Lange(SP)- Developed a change to go with his Curve and  Fastball and looks very good

7.Keegan Thompson(SP)

8.Brendon Little(SP)- One outing he looks fantastic the next not so much, he's following a crazy every other pattern for a while now

9.Oscar de la Cruz(SP)- Can't stay healthy and after this suspension I'm ready to call him a pen arm.

10.Richard Gallardo(SP)- BA's #6 overall prospect from the July 2nd international kids who signed just a few weeks ago

So none of the guys I mentioned in the initial post are on your top 5 either.

Honestly, I. Saw an article saying the Cubs were interested in Jones and that's who I'd look to deal from the Cubs. There shouldn't be much of a market and perhaps he could be had for a guy or two.

I expect there to be too much of a market for the Cubs to compete for Britton. Their farm is not strong right now IMO.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Who do you have?

Amaya

Lange

Caratini

Hoerner

Bote

Azolay

Hatch

Ademan

Little

Marquez

... something like that.

De La Cruz didn't look very good after coming back from injury and then got popped for 80 games.  He's completely off the radar now.

Albertos has walked 51 in 26 IP.  Also completely off the radar.

Any list with either of those two on it is clearly not current.

The Astros come back from the All-Star break with a 64-35 record and have a five-game lead over the Seattle Mariners for first place.

Right before the break, the Astros optioned struggling closer Ken Giles to Triple-A Fresno after an outbreak on the mound when manager AJ Hinch pulled him after allowing three straight hits. Giles was clearly frustrated and left the mound mouthing some harsh words to Hinch. That was the final straw for the Astros.

Hydrate Your Hair - 10x More Nourished Hair With One Drop
Shop the NEW L'Oréal Elvive Extraordinary Oil at your local Walmart today!

With the trade deadline approaching, the Astros have the prospects to get a dominant closer. The obvious choice is Zach Britton of the Baltimore Orioles. With their latest departure of Manny Machado, it shows that the Orioles are rebuilding.

Prospects Available

The Astros have intriguing prospects in Forrest Whitley and Kyle Tucker, but general manager Jeff Luhnow already made it clear those two are off the table. It will probably require three to four prospects to obtain Britton.

The Astros could be willing to deal Yordan Alvarez who they acquired from the Dodgers in 2016 for Josh Fields. The 21-year-old outfielder/first baseman blossomed into the Astros 3rd best prospect behind Whitley and Tucker. He was just promoted to Triple-A after hitting .325/.389/.615 in 43 Double-A this season. With the departure of Machado, it allows a need for an infielder, and that leads the way for J.D. Davis to become an Oriole, he has hit .282/.345/.527 with 26 homers, 40 walks, and 108 strikeouts in 412 at-bats with Double-A Corpus Christi and Triple-A Fresno. He has also had a brief stint in the big leagues hitting .226/.279/.484 with four homers, four walks, and 20 strikeouts in 62 major league at-bats.

The Astros 16th best prospect is Framber Valdez, who is a 24-year-old LHP out of the Dominican who has a fastball that gets up to 96 mph and has a curveball/changeup to counter his fastball. In High-A he was dominant posting a 2.79 ERA with 73/29 K/BB  in 61 innings. However, he struggled a bit in Double-A but his strikeout to walk ratio remains the same meaning he could be poised for a closer role shortly.

With the All-Star capabilities of Britton, the Astros will probably need to offer a fourth player in this deal. Either David Paulino or Cionel Perez could take that spot to help obtain Britton. Paulino has had some negatives in the past coming off of elbow injuries and a PED suspension.

However, Paulino has a lot of positives with a powerful fastball that tops out at 98 mph from the right side and adds a nice curve and change to complement his fastball. Perez, on the other hand, made his Major League debut against Oakland before the break. He threw 1 2/3 innings allowing two hits and one run while striking out two and walking two. He has a low nineties fastball, but he throws a lot of strikes and tends to hit his spots very well for a younger pitcher.

Outlook

All of these prospects have the opportunity to be in play for Britton. More likely it will take four players to acquire the two-time All-Star who has 129 career saves and a 3.29 career ERA.

So this Houston writer thinks 3-4 guys not named Whitley or Tucker.

id ask for Alcala, Armenteros, Arauz, and Bailey

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So none of the guys I mentioned in the initial post are on your top 5 either.

Honestly, I. Saw an article saying the Cubs were interested in Jones and that's who I'd look to deal from the Cubs. There shouldn't be much of a market and perhaps he could be had for a guy or two.

I expect there to be too much of a market for the Cubs to compete for Britton. Their farm is not strong right now IMO.

Who cares how strong the system as a whole is.  You're not getting the whole thing.

It all comes down to what teams are willing to give up.  For example if the best the Braves will do is their #10 guy, then what difference does it make how strong their 1-9 are?  All that matters is how that #10 guy compares to whatever it is the Cubs and others are putting on the table.  If the Cubs are offering their #3, and their #3 is better than the other guys' #10, then there you go... Cubs have the weakest system but the best offer.

Heck we just saw this with Machado.  Several teams could have offered more (Sixto, Hiura, etc).  They just wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, davearm said:

Who cares how strong the system as a whole is.  You're not getting the whole thing.

It all comes down to what teams are willing to give up.  For example if the best the Braves will do is their #10 guy, then what difference does it make how strong their 1-9 are?  All that matters is how that #10 guy compares to whatever it is the Cubs and others are putting on the table.  If the Cubs are offering their #3, and their #3 is better than the other guys' #10, then there you go... Cubs have the weakest system but the best offer.

Heck we just saw this with Machado.  Several teams could have offered more (Sixto, Hiura, etc).  They just wouldn't.

Mentioned Wentz or Muller for Atlanta.....Honestly I'd take any of their top 12-13 ahead of most everything the Cubs have. Houston is really interested and if they are only holding back Whitley and Tucker they have quite a bit that looks better than Chicago IMO