Greg Pappas

John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

27 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Being a 4th OF in Philadelphia isn't a good option for a player still trying to get a contract next year either.

Would that 2 months in Philly (assuming October) really hurt him that much relative to playing 41 more games in the abyss here?  I guess that is impossible to quantify.  But, you have a chance to compete for a title.....and if you hit well, especially in October, the manager will find a way to get you in the lineup even without a DH option (it isn't like Philly's current outfield is that good now). 

Money pays the bills, I know.  But as a player how many more chances will you have at this point to go for a ring? 

Adam seems to have two benefits to finishing the season here, as far as his next contract is concerned.  1.) Capability to play RF  2.) Ability to serve as a mentor.  I bet it caught other teams' attention how professional he was in the transition to Mullins playing CF.  If the Orioles don't offer him a deal this off-season of sufficient number of years, other teams would surely appreciate the professionalism and mentoring, and it could net him the contract he desires.

Jonesy should go to PHI or CLE and try to win a ring! I'm imaging in that DD is checking in with him again now that he's cleared waivers. 

If DD is the GM, I don't believe the O's will offer Jones a contract for next year. 

Maybe if Jones is sitting around in March, we offer him a 1-year, 3 million dollar deal a la Chris Tillman. Is Tillman dominating in TX yet? 

24 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

it could net him the contract he desires.

It could probably net him a contract, but probably not the one he desires. 

So we can gather that we wont get much of a prospect back and will also have to eat a chunk of his salary.  Noone claimed him because they figured the Orioles would just let him go and put the contract on the team to save money.

Shocking he’d stay here on this wreck rather they go to a guaranteed playoff team (Cle) or at least be in contention. 

14 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

So we can gather that we wont get much of a prospect back and will also have to eat a chunk of his salary.  Noone claimed him because they figured the Orioles would just let him go and put the contract on the team to save money.

No one claimed him because he has 10/5 status and can refuse.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Shocking he’d stay here on this wreck rather they go to a guaranteed playoff team (Cle) or at least be in contention. 

I think he wants to play everyday - and that isn't a guarantee on another team. I also think he values the impact he's been able to make on this city on and off the field. 

55 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Jonesy should go to PHI or CLE and try to win a ring! I'm imaging in that DD is checking in with him again now that he's cleared waivers. 

If DD is the GM, I don't believe the O's will offer Jones a contract for next year. 

Maybe if Jones is sitting around in March, we offer him a 1-year, 3 million dollar deal a la Chris Tillman. Is Tillman dominating in TX yet? 

DD's language definitely alludes to the fact he doesn't want to sign Jones to a new deal. But, if we know anything about the Orioles Front Office - it is that there are many actors with constantly changing levels of influence in decision-making. 

Just now, theocean said:

DD's language definitely alludes to the fact he doesn't want to sign Jones to a new deal. But, if we know anything about the Orioles Front Office - it is that there are many actors with constantly changing levels of influence in decision-making. 

Dan didn't want to sign Davis either.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one claimed him because he has 10/5 status and can refuse.

But, someone could have blocked a trade to another contender.  Yankees need an outfielder (Judge injured).  Cleveland needs an outfielder (everyone injured).  One of them could, conceivably, have blocked the other, as an example.  Obviously, neither saw value there though.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

But, someone could have blocked a trade to another contender.  Yankees need an outfielder (Judge injured).  Cleveland needs an outfielder (everyone injured).  One of them could, conceivably, have blocked the other, as an example.  Obviously, neither saw value there though.

I don't think that happens that often.

One thing that stuck out at me in the MLBTR piece about Heyman's article was that Jones had discussions with MacPhail and Klentak with the Phillies regarding their planned playing time for him and they told him approximately 4 games a week.  This tells me that just maybe he isn't dead-set against being traded, and that perhaps a contending team that plans on starting him would meet his approval.