Jump to content
MachoMachadoMan

Drew Rom

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The theory here is similar to this sentiment...

 

Except in that rare case where you have a guy with Maddux level command.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

Except in that rare case where you have a guy with Maddux level command.

Maddux had a pretty good fastball right up until the last couple years.  He wasn't throwing slop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maddux had a pretty good fastball right up until the last couple years.  He wasn't throwing slop.

He never threw harder than 93-94 from what I can find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

He never threw harder than 93-94 from what I can find.

Only a handful of starters were throwing 95 back in the late 80's.

From an article about Ben McDonald in '89.

Quote

It has come together this way: Today, Ben McDonald is the best amateur pitching prospect in the world. At 20, he's a strapping, 6-foot-7, 212-pounder with four above-average pitches, beginning with a big, hard curveball and a fastball that has been clocked at between 92 and 95 m.p.h.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

He never threw harder than 93-94 from what I can find.

Yeah, that was above average velocity at the time, but he also had double plus fastball movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that pitchers who threw 90 MPH in the late 1980's was considered as a hard thrower.  Don Aase in 1985 and 1986 touched 94 MPH and considered as very hard thrower.  I think Todd Worrell for STL was the hardest thrower at 97 MPH back then.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drew Rom just finished a brilliant outing, 6 scoreless innings allowing 2 hits and a walk while striking out 7.   

Rom’s ERA is now 1.45, below his teammate GrayRod’s 1.50.    He has not allowed a run since April 20, spanning 5 scoreless starts and 25.2 innings.    

I’d say he’s a good candidate for Player of the Month.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GrayRod: 36.0 IP, 22 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 11 BB, 53 K’s, 1.50 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 13.3 K/9.

Rom: 37.1 IP, 30 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 11 BB, 49 K’s, 1.45 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 11.8 K/9.    

Pretty impressive pair of 19-year olds.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 8:51 PM, Mendoza Line said:

He never threw harder than 93-94 from what I can find.

When Maddux came up with the Cubs, he was regarded as a very hard thrower.  It was later with the Braves that he became known more for his great command.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Frobby said:

GrayRod: 36.0 IP, 22 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 11 BB, 53 K’s, 1.50 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 13.3 K/9.

Rom: 37.1 IP, 30 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 11 BB, 49 K’s, 1.45 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 11.8 K/9.    

Pretty impressive pair of 19-year olds.  

Honestly, I had no idea Rom was doing so well - I should read here more often!  In a year like this, we really need long-term hope, and his development is a part of that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Honestly, I had no idea Rom was doing so well - I should read here more often!  In a year like this, we really need long-term hope, and his development is a part of that.  

He’s the youngest qualified pitcher in the Sally League and leads the league in FIP and ERA. He’s like Kolby Allard without the past history of throwing harder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He’s the youngest qualified pitcher in the Sally League and leads the league in FIP and ERA. He’s like Kolby Allard without the past history of throwing harder. 

How does he compare to Alex Wells when he was at Delmarva as a 20-year old?   They both seem to be LH pitchability guys.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How does he compare to Alex Wells when he was at Delmarva as a 20-year old?   They both seem to be LH pitchability guys.   

Having watched Rom, it’s not the same command, especially of the fastball but the slider and knuckle curve are both better than Wells’s curveball and his split change is more of a swing and miss pitch than Wells’s straight change.

Edit: Also, this might just be coaching but Rom is much more aggressive trying to put guys away with his secondary pitches.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...